DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Joshbull96

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
Hi all,

I recently started a youtube channel focusing on educating people in gymnastics, I have one video on 'learning a backtuck so far and would like to ask the gymnastics community one question.

'What is your biggest barrier you face when training gymnastics?'

Feedback on the video would be much appreciated I know there are several high level coaches it the forum and it would be great to hear from you.

I can’t think of the biggest barrier I have faced while coaching. Except ,maybe, trying to make a living doing it at times. Really though; time, equipment, commitment and ability (my own or the gymnasts), or knowledge are all barriers we hit.

As far as the video, it was all solid enough technically and you can learn a back tuck that way. I’m not a fan of how you were spotted. It’s the first spotting technique I learned years ago, but there are much safer options. I also don’t really like the idea of videos specifically targeting the people learning skills. I understand their place and in general they are mostly harmless, but we all coach and express things a bit differently and I would prefer to go through the process with my gymnast instead of having her coming in thinking she knew as much as I did because she watched a video. I’ve actually been questioned by parents and kids in the past because they saw a video on YouTube and that person didn’t teach the skill the same way that I am. Once was for flyaway on bars. I started the kids on low bar with bent knee swings into them and one parent thought I was insane because that’s not what the YouTube video she watched had said. Luckily a more senior coach happened to be near and said “if you want to climb mountains, you don’t start with Everest.”. That comment was enough to calm the parent and has stuck with me to this day.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back