Parents crud - knee injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

e'smum

Proud Parent
i was so hoping we'd get off injury free this year! last year dd rolled her ankle right (walking down the rod floor) before the 1st meet (5 days) and even though we ended up letting her compete, she only competed beam and bars b/c of minimal impact on her ankle and it was wrapped tighter than a mummy. lol.
but last week she tweaked her knee doing a back tuck on floor. not a new skill at all. since then it's been hurting a little so she modified what she would do at practice but tonight she came home and pulled out our pricey ice pack and i took a good look at it again and now there is some mild swelling (none before) and it's sore to touch in some places but no discoloration. beam jumps were bothering it so she had to stop but could do her CWBT dismount with no discomfort. so.... here we go again. this time we have an excellent former gymnast PT to work with/start with (i had none of this last time). i left a message tonight to hopefully get in tomorrow so we can get an accurate assessment and time line for healing and what we need to do. i tried to get her to skip the next two day's practices and she was having none of it. we have our hosted meet this weekend and she doesn't want to miss it. weirdly vault doesn't bother her knee at all. but she lands on a mat in the pit so it's a softer landing. and she says bars is ok. argh!!!! wish me luck. i may have to be a mean parent this week and make her scratch the entire thing since this is getting worse, not better or going away. i think the continued working out w/out allowing it time to heal is the main issue.

ps - we are skipping next week's away meet anyway so she'll have 4 days off completely from the gym which comes at a great time to help with healing.

i just needed to vent. i hate this part of gymnastics. she's hurt but not like broken bones hurt and she knows she can't do some stuff but doesn't want to skip the entire meet. sigh.

she has an appointment today at 4. i'm hoping it's just something minor. dh thinks she should compete a full meet. as a mom, i want to coddle when i see my kids not feeling 100% lol

update - she met with the PT and her knee is now taped to hopefully help the swelling. she can practice tomorrow and compete on saturday.
next week she'll have thur-sun off due to an away meet we aren't going to and take it easy mon-wed at practice.
she has exercises and needs to ice and elevate her knee.
it doesn't appear to be a big deal but our gymmies don't rest and that is really what it needs. i'm glad she didn't go to practice tonight.
if it doesn't get better we are to go back. i hope that by being able to take it easy next week helps. i'll let her decide if she wants to compete a full meet or not. i'm working floor during her meet so i won't be watching anything else. :)

i was so hoping we'd get off injury free this year! last year dd rolled her ankle right (walking down the rod floor) before the 1st meet (5 days) and even though we ended up letting her compete, she only competed beam and bars b/c of minimal impact on her ankle and it was wrapped tighter than a mummy. lol.
but last week she tweaked her knee doing a back tuck on floor. not a new skill at all. since then it's been hurting a little so she modified what she would do at practice but tonight she came home and pulled out our pricey ice pack and i took a good look at it again and now there is some mild swelling (none before) and it's sore to touch in some places but no discoloration. beam jumps were bothering it so she had to stop but could do her CWBT dismount with no discomfort. so.... here we go again. this time we have an excellent former gymnast PT to work with/start with (i had none of this last time). i left a message tonight to hopefully get in tomorrow so we can get an accurate assessment and time line for healing and what we need to do. i tried to get her to skip the next two day's practices and she was having none of it. we have our hosted meet this weekend and she doesn't want to miss it. weirdly vault doesn't bother her knee at all. but she lands on a mat in the pit so it's a softer landing. and she says bars is ok. argh!!!! wish me luck. i may have to be a mean parent this week and make her scratch the entire thing since this is getting worse, not better or going away. i think the continued working out w/out allowing it time to heal is the main issue.

ps - we are skipping next week's away meet anyway so she'll have 4 days off completely from the gym which comes at a great time to help with healing.

i just needed to vent. i hate this part of gymnastics. she's hurt but not like broken bones hurt and she knows she can't do some stuff but doesn't want to skip the entire meet. sigh.

My daughter last night fell off high bar and landed on her forearms/elbows.Right one just swollen,left has two broken bones.They set it in er and we go to ortho tomorrow.First meet was this Saturday.I imagine our season is already over before it even officially started.

My daughter last night fell off high bar and landed on her forearms/elbows.Right one just swollen,left has two broken bones.They set it in er and we go to ortho tomorrow.First meet was this Saturday.I imagine our season is already over before it even officially started.
oh no! my heart is broken for her. hopefully it's something that will heal and she can get in on the last couple of meets. this is the worst part of gymnastics.

Oh my....so sorry to hear about both gymmies.....injuries are the worst part of the sport. Good wishes to both of your girls.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back