WAG Cruise or gym? Fast decision.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

fliptwisttwirl

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Senior year decisions. My entire dad's side of the family is going on an all paid Disney cruise from my grandparents over spring break. It was a split second decision..no warning..and just decided on today. I am competing USAG level 9 and high school gymnastics this year (level 8 modified). It starts 2 weeks before high school districs--meaning I would only have one week once I come back. Decision has to made tomorrow. Ultimately what my coach says goes, but he will take what I say/want into consideration tomorrow. If I want to go he would let me. Just interested in opinions on what y'all think. No college gymnastics or anything in my future, but I've worked really hard to get where I am and I don't want to give it all up. Another thing is I am leaving at the beginning of June and this would be the last time to be with my whole family before college. Any advice?

Go on the cruise. It sounds like a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

A week-long cruise with extended family? Sounds like an experience that can't possibly be duplicated. Go! Just keep up your conditioning on the ship so you can hit the ground running when you return.

Well that was definitely different responses then I was thinking, I don't even think my parents want me to go cause they're afraid it will mess up my season. Gymnastics is everything right? Until you realize that at age 17 your life is about to start..not end. :) Hard to remember sometimes. Thanks for the responses, guess I'll see what my coach is thinking tomorrow!

If you were a nationally ranked level 10 with a potential /probable college scholarship on the line you might have gotten different responses. Instead you got the sentimental answers of lots of people who want more time with family near far and in heaven. So no matter what your coaches say just go, laugh, take pictures and thank your grandparents. You will literally be talking about this trip for the rest of your life.

Go on the cruise. It's only a week? If you leave in top shape and condition during, I think you'll be fine the week you come back.

Go on the cruise. A week won't make that much of a difference, and I have no doubt you will stay active on the cruise making your transition back into the gym easier. You'll have a whole week to get ready for your HS meet, totally doable for an athlete at your level, and I am guessing your HS routines are somewhat watered down versions of your club routines anyway.

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, go on the cruise and don't look back...and I wouldn't even worry about conditioning while you're gone either, just enjoy it!!

Cruise! Just got back from a 2 week Christmas vacation. My daughter is a second year L9 (12 years old). She was doing full routines yesterday (her second day back). She did say some skills felt a little odd. She has a meet scheduled in two weeks she feels she'll be ready for. Go and have fun! It may take a week to get to where you were when you left. But you'll be able pick things right back. :)

In my many years of reading chalkbucket, I can't recall any request for advice that was so completely unanimous, but I fully agree - go on the cruise and enjoy!

Go on the cruise! The memories you create there will last way longer than a week away from the gym! The gym will still be there for you when you get back!!

Cruise!! Disney cruises are awesome and getting on one during spring break is now of the most expensive times and may never happen again. My sister went on a cruise two weeks before state meet and was fine. Sometimes a break is good, and you will have a blast!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back