Parents Curious about "older" gymnast transferring to another gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amanda

Proud Parent
I am curious if gyms that generally prefer younger gymnasts in their JO track tend to be any more lenient with gymnasts trying to transfer in at a later level- especially with those that got a late start but have been relatively successful. Anyone had any experience with this?

My daughter started late for gymnastics and transferred gyms. She repeated the level, but it's a much better gym with higher standards for moving up, so we were fine with it. They didn't have any issue with age--she wasn't out of range for the level but was the oldest of her group. I think a good gym would be welcoming to a hard working gymnast, regardless of age, but I guess it depends a lot on the gym's culture.

Kids of all ages and levels change gyms. Depends on the gym and the gymmie

Definitely depends on the individual gym. Our old gym may not have taken an older gymnast but our new one definitely would.

My daughter started JO at 14 (Xcel at 12) and switched teams a number of times due to moves and various issues. Some gyms did refuse to let her try out due to her age/level combo- but then some also chose to not let her try out just due to her hair color- you just go with it and find one that is more accepting. We always ended up with multiple options to choose from.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back