WAG Current Qualified Elites

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FlippinLilysMom

Proud Parent
There have been 2 national qualifiers with 2 more to go. Scores have been rough. Here is a list of the athletes currently qualified.

I must have missed this and am curious: why did they change the age groups for HOPES? (My immediate thought was maybe they finally want to encourage a healthier timeline for elite gymnasts... but perhaps that’s just my optimistic side making an irrational appearance.)

Reactions: JBS
I must have missed this and am curious: why did they change the age groups for HOPES? (My immediate thought was maybe they finally want to encourage a healthier timeline for elite gymnasts... but perhaps that’s just my optimistic side making an irrational appearance.)
So far it's only changed for this year, due to the fact that everything got cancelled last year and to give the girls a chance to redo HOPES who would have otherwise aged out. No idea if they plan to keep the change though.

The Buckeye qualifier was yesterday and yes, scores were rough. I don’t think anyone hit the AA score for junior or senior, but some may have qualified with a 2 or 3 event score. A couple girls did qualify for HOPES Classic, including a little 10 year-old that was a level 3 competing against my kiddo (that puts things in perspective....Lol!).

The Buckeye qualifier was yesterday and yes, scores were rough. I don’t think anyone hit the AA score for junior or senior, but some may have qualified with a 2 or 3 event score. A couple girls did qualify for HOPES Classic, including a little 10 year-old that was a level 3 competing against my kiddo (that puts things in perspective....Lol!).
She’s level 3 and competing HOPES?

She’s level 3 and competing HOPES?
Hahahaha! No! I meant she was a level 3 when my daughter was and they competed against each other. She did 3-7-8-9/HOPES, I believe. Mine would have been a 7 this year had she not switched to dance. It just puts in preselected the vast difference between elite caliber kids and regular kids, ya know?

Hopes is fun... but it should definitely be the older age groups. Hopes is more of a splat fest than anything else I have ever seen except maybe level 8 vault. Maybe this will help that over time.

Hahahaha! No! I meant she was a level 3 when my daughter was and they competed against each other. She did 3-7-8-9/HOPES, I believe. Mine would have been a 7 this year had she not switched to dance. It just puts in preselected the vast difference between elite caliber kids and regular kids, ya know?
Hahaha I really needed the shocked face emoji to show up in my post. That’s some progression! I was momentarily very confused lol

It's pretty interesting seeing that very very few have qualified this year. Like less than a handful. Not sure what the normal per year is though.

The change in Hopes age groups has some downsides for some gymnasts... My sister age 10 level 9 was hoping to qualify this yr... well thats out of the picture! But I guess it makes sense for those 14yr olds who qualified last yr and didnt get a chance...

The change in Hopes age groups has some downsides for some gymnasts... My sister age 10 level 9 was hoping to qualify this yr... well thats out of the picture! But I guess it makes sense for those 14yr olds who qualified last yr and didnt get a chance...

Not a downside for the younger gymnasts, it’s a good thing. Qualifying hopes at such a young age will actually decrease their chances of becoming successful senior elites later on. Hitting elite too early increases the risk of injuries, burn out, mental health issues and general health problems which will make it much harder for them to qualify when it really counts.

Not a downside for the younger gymnasts, it’s a good thing. Qualifying hopes at such a young age will actually decrease their chances of becoming successful senior elites later on. Hitting elite too early increases the risk of injuries, burn out, mental health issues and general health problems which will make it much harder for them to qualify when it really counts.
Yes!!!

It is shocking to see so few qualified junior elites. Hopefully more will qualify at Winter Cup? It's a result of so many juniors aging into first year seniors during the pandemic. I noticed Temple Landry is listed on the junior elite list, but she's a senior. That means we only have 13.

I think all are 2006 birthdays in their last year of junior except for Pineda/Tobia in 2007 and Molomo in 2008, but I might be missing someone.

Was Buckeye an optional or compulsory qualifier? Anyone have a link to the scores?
It was a national qualifier so both compulsory and optional. Only 2 left. Winter cup is not a qualifier but I think they may be doing some virtual camps to try and get people qualified. And yes, only 13 current junior qualifiers but only 12 are still doing elite.

I guess it is a good thing, ... Its just a dissapointment to those 10 year olds who had a chance to qualify this yr and will now have to wait another year!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back