Daily Schedule?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been to two different competitive gyms before, and they both followed very different daily schedules. At my first gym, we would do bars and beam every day for at least an hour, and we would do vault and floor very rarely unless it was meet season. But my current gym follows a very rigid daily schedule. We have every event nearly every day for 30 minutes each. It makes things more evened out, however, I've noticed that we usually need a lot more time on bars and beam then we are given. Also, having vault three days in a row can get very tiring if we're going for them by ourselves on competition mats every time.

My question was, what do your gyms do? Do you follow a schedule? Which do you think is best?

Thanks!

well at my old gym we would like alternate our events too. So say one practice we would do beam and floor then the next vault and bars. Now at my new gym we practice each event every practice, except we only do vault sometimes because we have to set it up. I like practicing all events at one practice better, it just seems more organized :)

We don't have a specific schedule we follow every day, we go more on a basis of what we need to work on. A sample week schedule(each practice is 3 hours)
Tuesday: Warmups/conditioning(1 hr), beam (1 hr), floor (1 hr)
Thursday: Warmups (30 min.), vault (30 min.), bars (30 min.), beam (1.5 hrs.)
Friday: Warmups and conditioning (1 hr), beam (1 hour), floor (1.5 hrs.), bars (30 min.)

We change it up. Beam and floor usually go for an hour so we can warm-up and do routines. Vault is pretty short rotation as they get tired, and bars is short as routines are short.

At my gym I'm on the rec. team, so we only practice 1 hour and 45 min. 2 times a week.
With our old coaches we would do two events one day and the other two the other day, I think this worked well. But with our new coaches we try to do all four events.
So we warm-up/condition for 30 min. then we do approx. 18 min. at each event. Problem is our coaches are awful at keeping time and getting the 3 groups everywhere. So we end up doing twice the time on beam. Then whoever is on vault gets board within 10 min. and they take their group to another event. And then we end up only getting about 5 min. on floor (which is NOT enough time on floor for skills much the less routines!)
Gosh it confusing and I wish our coaches would get it together. They tend not to communicate with each other. Ugh.

The 'Artistic Team' (USAG team) for levels 3&4's which I coach, also do all 4 events each day...but they have a 3 hour practice.

I an ideal world I would only do around 10-15 mins of vault in competition season (if that! - Dependent upon the gymnast's technique on the day!)

In reality we do 5 pieces of apparatus every session:

Mon, Thu and Sun - Warm up, then rotate between vault, bars, beam, tumble and either floor routines, conditioning or dance depending upon what season we are in then cool down. each apparatus rotation is 30 minutes long. (too long for vault and not really enough time for beam or bars - plenty enough for tumbling and floor work though in my opinion)

On Saturdays we add group conditioning to the work out and still do 5 apparatus, but without specific apparatus warm ups, we just focus on skill work.

During competition season on vault I tend to do 2 warm up vaults, and 2, maybe 3 more vaults after that if they are dodgy, then use the rest of the time for conditioning.

At my old gym we had 3-4 hour practices and we did every event everday and we almost always did the same thing on each event (the same skill circuit in the offseason, then skills warmup and routines in season), which got pretty boring.

At my new gym, we have 2 to 4 hour practices. We usually do all 4 events for 45 min to an hour each, except we don't vault twice a week and at our 2 hour practice we usually have the option of doing vault or floor. Each day we do something different on each event, from basics and conditioning to drills and skills to routines.

Hmm, for L4's, they pretty much did every event for 30m, which was fine with 1hr of time devoted to WU, basics, conditioning and flexibility. On bars was upper body strength work. If anything, 45 minutes of time would be preferable.

For L5/6, they had 45 minutes of time per event, but I would rather see them get 1hour on bars, seeing as upper body and core strength was done there.

You don't need as much time on V compared to the other events, especially if you can have multiple or return stations.

30 minutes is a bit short for FX, imo. Especially if you have a floor complex and then either front or back tumble and then do routines with stations.

A lot of time I can remember doing BB/UB and then switching to FX/V or some combination since the compulsories 5/6 might be split into two groups.

But 30 minutes on bars is not enough. If that was the case, I'd vault twice a week if you were in the gym 3-4 times a week and go longer on FX/BB/UB.

It seems to me that it's a good idea to have a strict schedule. It forces the group to work on all 4 events equally and not become lopsided, even if in the short term you might need more work on one event than another. At my gym you can come in one day a week when we have no practice to work on one or two events if you like.
We do the following schedule 4 days a week:
Warm-up: 15 min
Conditioning: 45 min
Events: 60 min each (except for vault where we vault for about 30 min and then do exercises or drills for 15 min and flexibility for 15 min)

My dd's group trains all 4 events, plus conditioning (which is treated as a rotation) everyday. They do warm up for about 45 minutes, then go into the events (again, conditioning is one of them that always follows vault.) Whatever event the group starts on, they them move in Olympic order with, as I said, conditioning following vault. The group will be on each event for about 40-45 minutes, with vault being a little less than the other events. If the girls do not finish their assignments (which usually tends to be on beam or bars) they go back at the end of the night to finish their assignment. Practice is scheduled to end at 7, but my dd gets out anywhere between 7:30 and 8pm.

Saturday is a whole other animal. They usually do not condition, but do start the practice out with a dance class for an hour, they do warm-up, compete on all 4 events and then finish the last 45 minutes of practice with yoga.

My dd does all the events at each practice. They have a very set schedule but each day is different. i think that is good because you never know what your rotation will be at a meet. If you always have bars first at practice and you end up competing it last at a meet chanced are good it will be very different than a practice because your body will be tired. They have 30 minute rotations, which I think is too short sometimes, but what do I know really. They also have conditioning, flex and dance.

We alternate... Conditioning and flexibility on Monday, beam and bars on Tuesday, Vault and floor on Wed., best and worst events on Thursday, routine and skill day on Friday and everything on Sat.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back