Off Topic Dance Moms - Real/Fake

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Ok I finally got around to watching Dance Moms and too be honest i find it hilarious!! I find it unbelievable that during the interviews the dancers are all calm and collected and rather mature about the situation and the parents are throwing temper tantrums.

Ok my question, how much do you think is real and how much is acted? How natural can you be when there is a camera there. Some of the situations are ridiculous do you think they are deliberately put in place to make things interesting?

I am a dance mom.. luckily my daughter is in a fantastic studio with amazing teachers choreographers and luckily they are not crazy! But let me tell you .. I have seen crazy at dance competitions. But I do think there is a lot of editing and "coaching" to make them look more crazy.

Oh Bog not 50 /50 its more like 20 real / 80 acted.

Seriously what parent would allow anyone to regularly treat their kid like Abby does. what person would take the verbal abuse from another adult like those dance moms take. No one that's who only parents who want their kids on TV to get exposure because they think their kid is the second coming!!

Last nights episoid. Maddies dad showed up and he was the only sane one in the bunch - vowed to do everything he can to get his kids out of Abby's clutches.

I have to admit I do watch the show like I said before it's like watching a horrible train wreck. Its so awful but you just have to look to see what awful tragdy is going to happen next.

Certainly isn't the "Cosby Show" or "Happy Days" thats for sure.

Oh Bog not 50 /50 its more like 20 real / 80 acted.

Seriously what parent would allow anyone to regularly treat their kid like Abby does. what person would take the verbal abuse from another adult like those dance moms take. No one that's who only parents who want their kids on TV to get exposure because they think their kid is the second coming!!

Last nights episoid. Maddies dad showed up and he was the only sane one in the bunch - vowed to do everything he can to get his kids out of Abby's clutches.

I have to admit I do watch the show like I said before it's like watching a horrible train wreck. Its so awful but you just have to look to see what awful tragdy is going to happen next.

Certainly isn't the "Cosby Show" or "Happy Days" thats for sure.

And to answer your question here, certain parents in our gym (and our old gym too now that I think about it) would sell their souls to the devil if our coach "promised" that their daughter was going to the Olympics...our coach isn't a particularly nice person to the gymnasts or the parents and has that "abby" type of attitude .."you represent ME! ME! ME! I made you!" but people keep throwing 500 bucks a month at him and come back so I totally believe these parents allow Abby to act like this because she's promising them stardom on Broadway!

As an aside, my daughters and I love the show!

I am going to guess there's quite a bit of manipulation going on of what happens when and suggestions to the moms that it's time to discuss XYZ together. That there are reshoots of real events. Edits that make things perhaps less documentary. That perhaps certain outsiders are invited in to liven things up. Cathy, for one. I can't believe Abby would put Vivi on her team if that hadn't been in the contract initially, to bring in Cathy. Vivi is a lovely girl with a lot of potential and I really like her but it's a different level of skill from Mackenzie.

I can't wait for the post-Dance Moms book deal!

I really like everyone on that show -- even Abby -- except Cathy. I no longer find that character likeable after that LA competition nonsense. But I might well like her in real life.

This show is my secret obsession! Well, not really all that secret! Hard to believe that it is for real. However, why would any parent want to be portrayed this way on TV? Is that 15 minutes so important that it doesn't matter that you are viewed as an over the top, crazy, loose cannon? Boggles the mind!! But I love it!!!

I believe Cher 100%!!! I love the show as well... but I believe most of it is definitely edited for "shock" value!!! I think I mentioned elsewhere on this board that I have a very good friend who has daughters who dance competitively, have been at some of the same competitions, and her girls are really good too!!! .... they were contacted by "Dance Moms" for at the most a spin off show, at the least, adding more moms/daughters to the dynamics.

I've been addicted to the show since the beginning, but I think I'm kind of getting tired of the same old repititions over and over again.... How many times can you watch the moms and Abby scream and yell at each other? So I'll see.... maybe next week's "surprise".... shooting a music video... will pique my interest again....

I am lucky enough to go to one of the best dance studios in the country (granted it's a classical ballet studio with other types of dance but not competitive), so from my dancer's perspective, Abby does seem like she really knows what she is doing. I think she legitimately wants her dancers to be successful and I think she knows how to get them there. Is she harsh sometimes? Yes, but it takes a little of that to really give your dancers that edge that they will need to succeed in a harsh field of work. To be honest, I would actually love to be able to take a class from her some time.

As for what someone above said about Vivi, I'm sorry but she really does not have much talent as far as dance goes (not to mention she doesn't have the right body type for the kind of jobs she would want to be getting in the future). Not trying to criticize a child...just stating what I think to be fact.

Now, all this being said, how real is it? Since it is a TV show and the producers obviously want the ratings, there is no doubt that a lot of things are over-dramatized. However, I do think Abby is a great instructor and choreographer, and it shows in her dancers.

Oh there's no doubt she's a great instructor! Her dancers always place very well in their competitions. Always have. I agree w/you about Vivi too. I think she (and the lovely Cathi), were brought in just to stir things up a bit. I even wonder how much Cathi really wanted Vivi there.... I bet there was a big wad of $ danging in front of her! HA HA HA!! (Actually, I don't care for Cathi very much... at least the way she's been portrayed). Which brings up another point someone had mentioned... how much are these people willing to risk for their 15 minutes of fame? Geeze, the way they're not portrayed in a very positive light on TV, and unfortunately, that's the way most people will think of them!

I wouldn't let a tv crew film me on my best days! I just do not get this reality tv culture. I love to watch it mind you. BUt there is no way I would put my family in that situation.

OOO I LOVE THIS SHOW!! It's so bad.

Here's my theory...

They had the show planned out way prior to filming...including Cathy/Vivi coming in and then leaving. I feel like that was just a plug for Cathy's studio (though who would want to take their kid there!!), and a way for more drama. I think that alot of the drama that Abby gives is way over the top, but on purpose. The mom's are probably just trying to keep the show alive with the drama/drinking/over complaining. The girls are all probably best friends. Alot of the drama, I'm sure was fabricated.

I'm not sure how much of it is contrived. I tend to think most of it is real (except Cathy dilemma, which was totally scripted before taping even started) but I think the producers do a ton of editing for the best bits. So it looks like Abby is yelling all the time and the moms are always battling each other. I also think a lot of what we see is not "real time" in the sense that a person's visible reaction in a close up shot likely isn't even from that situation. This happens in reality TV all the time. So you think that one of the moms makes a horrid face over something another mom said when in reality that shot is from a totally different event.

I think I keep watching it because I just can't believe how ridiculous those people behave. I'm sure some of it has to been scripted and I think in other parts we only being shown what the show wants us to see so it looks like there is more controversy than there actually is. I can't believe some of the discussions that take place in front of the girls and some of the comments that Abby makes to the girls about their mom's. Craziness, but I keep watching!

Let me just say from personal knowledge Abby Lee is 100% like this. I also, have joked with my Dh that my DD should take a few classes with her to get her split leaps bigger ;) she is a very talented instructor. Is she for everyone- no- do I agree with everything she says and does- no-- but take her for who she is-- she is really like this! Kathy was part of the deal- Abby had to take her and Vivi- the producers of the show did it to stir it up a bit. Vivi is not even close to the caliber of the other dancers and Abby would not have her in this group if she were a student at her studio. The moms- well lets just say they love the limelight and aren't afraid to make personal autograph signing appearances around where they live- with their daughters in tow. There is a big IRL rift between Maddie's mom and the other dance moms. The show is edited to up the drama value- like others have said- facial expressions and the like- but there's no denying these moms have no problem swearing up a blue streak and fighting with each other and Abby in front of the camera- this, cannot be scripted-- edited for maximum dram- yes-- but not made up and acted- these women are really that catty, self centered and have no problem saying what they say and doing what they do in front of their young children and Lifetime is LOVING it. These women are not ashamed! Beer Nutz Nation 1335 Freeport Rd. Pittsburgh PA (412) 963-6882 click on the events for Sept 14 and 24

Last edited:
Woah Thanks gymgirls mom (just clarifying that gymgirls mum is not my mum in case anyone thought otherwise) for the insider scoop. But i cannot believe how many temper tantrums the adults have! seriously! even 5 year old mackenzie hasn't had a tantrum yet. I honestly can't believe Abbey is actually like that! She is obviously a very good teacher but :O :O

Here is the real question...... how the HeXX can those 8 year old dancerss do things perfectly that our gymnasts cant do. Standing front ariel.... please.... no steps into it.... please.... show offs!

Here is the real question...... how the HeXX can those 8 year old dancerss do things perfectly that our gymnasts cant do. Standing front ariel.... please.... no steps into it.... please.... show offs!

LOL they are dancers and acrobats. Completely different training. Have you watched the little 8-10 yr old talented cheerleaders? they are doing similar things. Dancers are built very differently too - they dont have to worry about building strength in their legs and arms, which helps keep them more flexible. but those aerials are beautiful!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back