Dating amongst coaches and parents help please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Vault_lover16

Proud Parent
I feel uncomfortable that one of the coaches is dating a team mom. What should I do? The coach is always picking the daughter up and sharing food. He also tends to treat her better then the other gymnast

The coach is always picking the daughter up and sharing food. He also tends to treat her better than the other gymnast
Woah...I would not blame you for feeling uncomfortable. The obvious favoritism and better treatment is a problem. Does that coach spend more time with the daughter than the other gymnasts?

However, if the Mom & Coach are in a serious, long-going relationship, I would expect a close bond between the gymnast and the coach too. This may mean slight favoritism (or him pushing the daughter even harder). And if the daughter is comfortable with the coach picking her up and sharing food, then that is okay, as long as it isn't degrading the practice time of the other gymnasts.

It may be nice for the Mom to clarify what is going on with other parents and address their concerns. You could ask her politely what she thinks about it. If you cannot ask her directly, talk to some of the other parents about their concerns and consider going to the coach. It may be possible for him to switch to coaching another level that the daughter is not in.

I can see that you feel this treatment is unfair, but some of it is inevitable with this kind of relationship. Keep me updated!

Mind your own business? In my mind, it’s pretty much the same as a coach having their own child on the team. Would you be upset if they shared food or picked up their own daughter? This is no different in my mind. As far as treatment, yes, they should try not to play favorites, but it’s their significant other’s kid whom they have a deeper relationship with, so a different relationship is to be expected. If there is blatant favoritism (which I’m not getting from your first post, just “he tends to treat her better”) then bring your concerns to the owner or change gyms.

Mind your own business? In my mind, it’s pretty much the same as a coach having their own child on the team. Would you be upset if they shared food or picked up their own daughter? This is no different in my mind. As far as treatment, yes, they should try not to play favorites, but it’s their significant other’s kid whom they have a deeper relationship with, so a different relationship is to be expected. If there is blatant favoritism (which I’m not getting from your first post, just “he tends to treat her better”) then bring your concerns to the owner or change gyms.
My thoughts exactly. I just misinterpreted the original post and thought there was blatant favoritism. If not, who cares?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back