Parents Days off

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Annikins

Proud Parent
So, my little dd (7) is just about to go up to 15 hours a week, from 12, and some other things in her schedule are going to have to drop as they won't fit (eg tennis squad, sadly). One thing I am unsure about though is swimming. She is a good strong swimmer, so it's not a life-skill issue, but she really enjoys her swimming lessons, and wants to continue them. I am undecided whether her body needs a rest on her days off, or whether extra 'conditioning' is good, especially as it's weightless... Thoughts? Thank you!

Let her swim. My DD and her friends go to the pool most days after practice in the summer. She is 11 but has been doing it for years. Gym then pool means she usually falls asleep by 930pm.

Thanks everyone, I think maybe I was over-thinking it! Just thinking about how tired she and her body might be with so much training, but at least it's non-impact. Thank you xx

My response will be coloured by the fact I am Australia, and swimming here is a national pastime.

She is only 7, she should still be taking swimming lessons. It is a life skill thing. She may have enough swimming skills to get herself out of a pool if she falls in. But there is no way, that at 7 she has enough swimming skills to be totally water safe. If she was caught in a rip in the ocean, would she be a strong enough swimmer to escape? If she fell into a fast running river and was carried out in the rapids, would she have enough swimming stamina to swim a few miles to safety?

Hi Aussie coach - no she probably doesn't have those kind of swimming skills, but to be fair neither do I! And I can see that being Australian would maybe affect your view on that, with maybe easier access to the beach, and more likelihood of getting caught in those situations! We had a minimum standard her big sister had to reach before she was allowed to stop lessons, and she has already surpassed that, but kept going anyway because she enjoys it. But I do see where you're coming from, as it's probably something you can never be 'too' good at, as long as she has the energy, and we have the time and money...

Right now DD practices M - F for usually 3.5 hours per day. She is also playing on a competitive/traveling soccer team - and does that 3 nights per week. I can tell you - she is holding up fine. Me? Not so much :confused: But I, like others, want to make sure she can do other things outside of gymnastics that interests her.

Hi Meganliz - I would love for dd to continue her tennis, especially, but I can't see how it's possible. How on earth can your dd train 3.5 hours every day, and also do soccer 3 nights a week - I'm a bit confused. Maybe she is older and goes to bed later? My dd goes straight from school to gym, and still arrives late every day. Then goes straight from gym to home and is in bed within 10 mins of arriving home. Even then she struggles to get up in the morning after a session! Eats dinner in the car, and does homework over breakfast...

My DD just turned 8 and trains similar hours. She isn’t currently in swimming lessons, but she swims for fun for about 90 minutes 3-4 times a week from May-end of September. I think it’s good for them to have fun but also to work muscles in different ways, especially in such a low impact activity. It’s good cardio as well.

@e'smum When I was 12ish I spent the better part of two summers in Gardner MA with friends family. We went to the cmty pool daily I think I got in the water 5 times, too cold.

@e'smum When I was 12ish I spent the better part of two summers in Gardner MA with friends family. We went to the cmty pool daily I think I got in the water 5 times, too cold.

ours opens on saturday and the kids are super excited. at least we are having really hot weather this week so maybe it will be into the low 60s on saturday. :D
it's huge, for swim meets, with a deep end where the slides are and it forms an "L". it takes forever to get to where i will go in and there is maybe a week during the summer when it's the perfect temp. :rolleyes:

My kids have to take swim lessons every summer until they are 12, non-negotiable. Not that I really have to fight them, since they both love swimming and the water. But, it is a really, really important skill to have.

I know, my point was that is FREEZING!

For us 60's would be our coldest Winter days.
the 60s is the water temp! but we can have some cool days during the summer - especially if you go further north. we go to maine every year and i never know what it's going to be like. we always pack long pants and a sweatshirt.

I’d let her continue to swim. I wouldn’t be worried at all about extra hours from swimming. I wish mine wanted to!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back