Dazed and confused.......lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AnjF12401

Proud Parent
Good morning all,
I'm a mom to a 15 yr old gymmie. She's been in the sport for 3 years and just finished her season at Xcel Gold. It's been a whirlwind for us as DD has compete level 3, level 4, and Xcel Gold after such a short time. We are still learning this new world (thus my title for this intro) and we are hoping to gain just a bit more insight to the world of gymnastics.

DD seems to be on a really fast pace from what I have managed to read. She walked into a rec class in February 2013, advanced to different levels of rec within a few weeks, and in May 2013 was asked to join the level 3 team. She competed well, ended season as the floor champion in her age group, and then we were hit with a blow. Her gym was no longer offering USAG teams, and we were given a recommendation to go to a new gym. (1st gym was very well known/succesful program, and had a coaching dilemna that left them with no optional gymnasts)

We moved to a gym that was closer to home(1st gym was joined bc we received a gift certificate as a birthday gift), less "flashy" in the gymnastics community, but DD loved the atmosphere. She competed level 4 there in 2014/2015, and then Xcel gold for the 2015/2016 season. She has qualified for All State each year, and absolutely loves the sport......

She does have hopes to compete in college, but we aren't holding our breath. I tend to be a realist, and like to keep her grounded. Her coach is optimistic that she has a chance to compete though. (coach is former Olympic qualifier who was injured)

Looking forward to chatting and learning about this sport that has become the center of my family's life

Hi and welcome! I have a similar DD- she will be 15 soon and walked into her first rec class in October of 2013. I just got the notification this morning on fb to remind me that two years ago today she did her first kip!

I totally get the center of life thing too. Yesterday we left for training at 8:45 am and got home again at 9:30pm. Now, I have two girls who train at two gyms (JO and T&T) but the sport has definitely become the sun and I'm just desperately trying to keep us all in orbit- and it happened SO fast. Three years ago I had one DD in an hour rec class (my T&T DD). Two years ago I had one in Xcel at 6 hours and one in 2 hours of rec. A year ago it was up to 32 hours between them. Today it's about 31 hours between them, but with an added 12 hours of commute a week. It just takes over!

I love that our girls are getting to do their thing! My DD is going into her sophomore year and has never had any thought of college gym- she's been at gyms where girls were recruited and mostly the process started around the age she started team. She knows she's got no shot, but luckily she's in it for her own personal reasons. She self motivates. I do think it's nice that your DDs dream is encouraged though- even a long shot is a shot, after all.

Is she competing platinum next year?

MILgymFAM,
Thank you! Gymnastics has definitely turned our world upside down, but in a crazy sense....it's all worth it. Gymmie is a twin, an her sister competes cheer at the new gym (is it still new since we've been almost 2 years, lol) Luckily, their practice schedule coincides. Gymmie practices Mon-Thurs 4-8, and Friday 4-6 (Noticed some Xcel gymnasts practice much less) Cheerleader practices during the same hours on fewer days....Thank heavens!
Luckily, the new gym is just 20 minutes away, old gym was an hour away. So, I finally get to drop n go. Works wonders bc hubbie does the pick up.

I'm not really sure if she will remain in Xcel for the upcoming season. Coach has her working 7/8 skills since it's summer. She has giants on UB, timer for Yurchenko and Tsuk for vault, front layout and front pike on FX, and gainer/front pike dismount on beam as well as switch leap above 180......these are things she has told me. I have NO idea what level they are. Thus my reasoning for joining CB. I don't want to be completely naive.

As far as college, her coach has been approached by a couple of college coaches who have ben keeping their eye on her since she was showcased at gym #1. The head coach used to coach Gabby Douglas at Chow's, and he is the one who recommended her for team. He keeps in contact with us even though he is no longer coaching her. I just have no illusions about all of this bc I have realized that for her dream to be fulfilled she can't ever repeat a level. Even then, it will be hard.....

AnjF,
It can certainly be a whirlwind when your daughter moves up fast. My daughter started in a preschool class at almost 5, and now at 9 is competing level 8. It's been overwhelming at times to say the least. Our gym often has colleges viewing practices and in all honesty, are typically observing those girls who are level 10 and elite (although they start tracking their practice at level 7/8) and most of those girls are 7th/8th grade. In fact, many girls are making verbal commitments to college in 8th/9h grade. All that to say, I would never tell a girl her dream is impossible. If your dd continues to work hard and move up quickly, if she's a strong level 10 by her senior year she may be able to walk on an team, or even go to division 2 where she'll also get a great education. Just wanted to share what the typical progression to college gymnastics is.

As far as college, her coach has been approached by a couple of college coaches who have ben keeping their eye on her since she was showcased at gym #1. The head coach used to coach Gabby Douglas at Chow's, and he is the one who recommended her for team. He keeps in contact with us even though he is no longer coaching her. I just have no illusions about all of this bc I have realized that for her dream to be fulfilled she can't ever repeat a level. Even then, it will be hard.....

Wow, that's amazing. I hope you'll share the schools! Most of the recruiting programs we deal with are mostly set for her class and only recruiting level 10s of course.

Well she sounds absolutely astounding. I mean that. Good for her!
Thank you. I just hope she continues to love the sport, and looks at ALL her options. I honestly don't know where the athleticism comes from, because her dad and I aren't.

AnjF,
It can certainly be a whirlwind when your daughter moves up fast. My daughter started in a preschool class at almost 5, and now at 9 is competing level 8. It's been overwhelming at times to say the least. Our gym often has colleges viewing practices and in all honesty, are typically observing those girls who are level 10 and elite (although they start tracking their practice at level 7/8) and most of those girls are 7th/8th grade. In fact, many girls are making verbal commitments to college in 8th/9h grade. All that to say, I would never tell a girl her dream is impossible. If your dd continues to work hard and move up quickly, if she's a strong level 10 by her senior year she may be able to walk on an team, or even go to division 2 where she'll also get a great education. Just wanted to share what the typical progression to college gymnastics is.

I agree that a whirlwind experience is exactly what we are experiencing. I never knew this sport was such a big thing. I often think, maybe I should have let her start earlier, but then I say....she may not have been as dedicated, she could have been hurt, or she could have been right up there with Simone Biles and the other greats.....Life is full of unknowns.

The schools aren't actively recruiting her though. From my understanding, they are just 'paying attention' to her right now. I try not to discourage her, because I believe in the laws of attraction, however, I'm not going to bank on it....lol. Gymnastics is one of many avenues available to her for college. I tend to try to keep her focused on academics more than anything.

shes being recruited by college coaches as a 15 year old xcel gold....?
I NEVER said she was being recruited. I said that she is being looked at by a couple of colleges because of a previous coaches recommendation. I also stated that I am not at all convinced about some of the things eing said about her. Please don't take my words and twist them.

I guess I chose the wrong word saying recruited, but still I've never heard of someone at the level being looked at for college.
Honestly, I don't think it's normal either. That's why I came searching for answers. I felt like her old coach was feeding me honey to get me to pay more money......until we got to the new gym and her new coach started saying the same things. At that point, I had to re-evaluate my thinking and I began to wonder if I was being too pessimistic instead of realistic. I have talked to numerous parents at her new gym, other gyms, and even a few coaches and they seem to all say that most of their kids took years and years before they could do some of the things she has done in just 3 years. I'm NOT saying my kid is the next Gabby, Mykayla, Simone or anything. I'm here to learn as much as I can so that I am not duped by high hopes and false recommendations.

On the other hand, when I have been approached by college coaches (and yes, more than one) about my DD and her abilities, I think it warrants that just maybe these people see something I don't. These are people who have seen her compete at a huge meet in our region, which just so happens to also host a big college meet. Again, I'm the one trying to be a voice of reason with her and not get her hopes up while at the same time trying to be as supportive as I can because I do believe anything can happen if you work hard and make progress.

Gymcoach1, what is your experience with Excel Gold? Is it lesser than JO in your eyes? I ask this because from what I have seen, many people seem to think it is on this site. My DD tested out of JO 5 last year, was set to compete JO 6, but needed 2 skills, so her coach had her compete Excel Gold. I don't know much about either program in all honesty. What I know, is what I have managed to learn from other parents and her coaches. I can say that her coach specifically told me that her recommendation for Excel Gold was because my daughter had more options on her skills. At the time, she couldn't do the trail down flyaway on UB bc she rotated too much. On beam she was doing the same on her cartwheel BT dismount. In Excel gold she was able to do a front punch dismount on beam, and did a tap swing flyaway on UB instead.

I might add that DD does train the same hours and days with the optional team, and is required to lern the same skills. From what I have seen on here, most Excels train less. Right now, she is the only one in the gym who can do a cast to handstand consistently.

On the other hand, when I have been approached by college coaches (and yes, more than one) about my DD and her abilities, I think it warrants that just maybe these people see something I don't. These are people who have seen her compete at a huge meet in our region, which just so happens to also host a big college meet.

Wait, you're saying that college coaches have approached you about your dd....at age 15? That is unacceptable. College coaches are prohibited any contact with a child/parent at that age.

Reactions: sce
I had NO idea. Most of them have just seen us after a meet, and casually asked questions bout her time in gymnastics. Again, I'm new to this. I never realized that it was wrong for anyone to ask questions.
There is soooooo much to learn....how do you keep track of this stuff?

So, according to you this is very wrong?
AnjF,

I had NO idea. Most of them have just seen us after a meet, and casually asked questions bout her time in gymnastics. Again, I'm new to this. I never realized that it was wrong for anyone to ask questions.
There is soooooo much to learn....how do you keep track of this stuff?

So, according to you this is very wrong?

Yes. As a matter of fact, I have a good friend who became a recruiter after we had know each other for several years. Even though we had an existing relationship, when we were at the same meets we were not allowed to acknowledge each other for fear of any look of impropriety.

Yes. As a matter of fact, I have a good friend who became a recruiter after we had know each other for several years. Even though we had an existing relationship, when we were at the same meets we were not allowed to acknowledge each other for fear of any look of impropriety.
Wow......I literally had NO idea. I feel so lost when it comes to gymnastics. How do parents know if their child is being looked at? When is it ok? How are so many others saying that their child has verbally committed to a team at such young ages if this is not allowed?

Because your child is in high school, she is of a "recruitable age", so all contact that could be considered "recruiting" is regulated by the NCAA.

Wow......I literally had NO idea. I feel so lost when it comes to gymnastics. How do parents know if their child is being looked at? When is it ok? How are so many others saying that their child has verbally committed to a team at such young ages if this is not allowed?

Leading up until this point, all communication usually occurs through the club coach and the college coach, which is how girls know they are being looked at or how they are making verbal commitments. The college can only send the girls general information about the school/programs. National letter of intent is 11th grade.

I've never heard of a college coach watching an Excel meet. Very odd. They are so busy in the spring competing their own meets every weekend. They are lucky if they can make it to a level 10/elite session. They are quite aware of the rules for recruiting. They have to study and take a test over the rules. I'm sorry but no college coach is going to take that risk for an Excel Gold.

At 15 and doing Xcel gold I would advise doing JO if she has any dreams of college gym. Though it is highly unlikely at her age that she will be recruited. But there are college club teams all over the place she could join, these work more like regular gym clubs. They do not compete for the school itself.

Unfortunately gym is one of those sports where you need to start relatively young to really have a chance for college gym. But young I mean 6- 8 years old. Clearly your dd is talented to come so far so fast, but at a certain point it is just too hard to catch up on the early starters.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back