Parents DD and I no longer speak the same language.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
It's been several months that my DD has finally been able to consistently not want me to stay at gym during her practice. Since she's now an L8, this pleases me....a LOT. However, we are no longer able to speak to one another. She comes home now and speaks a language I no longer understand....tkachev, shaposhnakova, geinger, jaeger. Ummm.....what?????

I was fine with handsprings and tucks and fulls. I even know the difference between leaps and jumps. And my crowning moments was being able to explain a yurchenko and a tsukahara to my more "ignorant" gym mom friends. Oh the pride that welled up in me.....

But now when she tells me she did a drill for blah blah blah and this that or other, I no longer have any idea what she is talking about. o_O I just have to do the "smile and nod" as I proclaim that something is "so cool".

I no longer like her coach. She stole my baby and turned her into a person who knows words that I don't.

lol!!! There is no harm in asking your child to explain a little to you. Even ask if she can show you some examples on youtube. and if she thinks that is totally nerdy, then you can do that yourself. I feel the need to stay up to date on the terminology. It gets harder and harder as she moves up the levels but I feel it is important so that she feels I am part of the conversation when she says - I finally landed my .... today! Sometimes she catches me off guard and will say something I have no clue about but she is pretty good about explaining or finding a video. And there are some things that I just will never grasp, no matter how many times she explains, coaches tell me, or I watch videos - For instance, blinds vs pirouettes, reverse grips, etc... and how one little change in a skill changes the name - a ray vs a hindorf vs a tkachev

That's what chalkbucket is for. Scroll down on the right, and you'll find all those in the word cloud, usually w/ videos, drills and critiques...no fear, you can still be smarter than she is.

this really cracks me up. i get it! dd is training 7, but she's already telling me what things she wants her routines at what levels and, well, i have a lot of learning to do!

It just struck me how sudden it was. One day, I'm following along like an educated woman and the next day....BAM! Clueless.
yes, upper optional training will do that and you are right, it happens really quickly!

LOL so emphasizing with OP here☺

With IL 9 I've pretty much given up on the correct names completely- she does flippy twisty things on all apparatus which pretty much covers everything....& my inadequacies always seem able to be covered by lots of admiration & hot chocolates after practise☺

If I watch I look like I have Tourettes ( please no offence to anyone who has this condition).....those falls are way scarier for me then her....at the moment shes practising getting connections on beam and sometimes not landing the second/ third skill.....this parent has the fear & baulking issues :0 my feet twitch and i have to sit on my hands - sigh but shes still loving the whole thing so Ill just eat minties and try not to watch:)

.those falls are way scarier for me then her....

Mine came home to tell me that she was doing a drill where she had to do a front giant but she got confused and either changed her hands or didn't change her hands and ended up peeling off the bar. She said the coach caught her in mid-air and she just thought that was hilarious.

I didn't see all the hilarity. I mean she's 4'4" so it's a long way down. Those bars are high up! I worry about how she lands when things go badly. This time her coach caught her but she won't always be small and her coach won't always be able to catch her.

At least you don't have a boy. At some point, when they start talking about gym, it starts sounding like an international invasion force.

I started making up words the other night after practice. Just random sounds ending in -ov, or -z. I figured if he can speak a foreign language, so can i! He was less than amused but I had a good time!

Some of our conversations go like this:

Son: Do you know what a _____ is?
Me: No. What?
Son: It's where you ____ and then ____ and then ___.
Me: I can't picture that at all. I'm going to have to look up a YouTube video.

We've been at this less than a year. lol.

I don't know what half the skills my daughter does are. And I haven't for a very long time (the skills keep changing, it's not me being persistently ignorant... Ok, maybe there is a bit of persistent ignorance...) .

YouTube comes in handy, but not when you're in the car and your daughter is telling you "I did a Yurchenko" and you're supposed to know what that is and you have No Idea. (I do know it's a vault, and I know how to spell it, unlike her!)

I fluff my way through, making suggestions like "It's got a handspring in it, doesn't it?" Most of the time, I'm completely wrong. And now I'm off to look up what a Yurchenko is again, just in case she talks about them again today. :)

Ah, there you go. There's no handspring in a Yurchenko. Well, not that I could identify, anyway. See, persistently ignorant! hahaha!

At least you don't have a boy. At some point, when they start talking about gym, it starts sounding like an international invasion force.
I was totally going to say that. Try the effort to distinguish one pommel move from another. I do try though. lol. When DS and I watch men's gymnastics, I'm constantly asking "what's that called?," and saying, "you should learn that."

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back