Parents DD got her 1st pair of grips!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

OMG, you would think she hit the lottery or something. DD got sized and bought her grips last night. They require them at level 6 in our gym. That is all she's been talking about for the past few days. I was watching her on beam when I got to the gym after work and she spotted me, immediately asking me if I paid for her grips yet. She proceeded to get yelled at by her coach about talking to mom instead of focusing on what she was doing! :eek: Oops! She didn't seem to care, though. She got those grips, that's all that mattered. She wore them all the way home so she could show her dad! :)

How cute! I can imagine how excited she is. Mine wants grips, too. She wants those little palm guards right now because her hands are so torn up from all the bar work they have done lately. :) Hope she loves them!

:D
OMG, you would think she hit the lottery or something. DD got sized and bought her grips last night. They require them at level 6 in our gym. That is all she's been talking about for the past few days. I was watching her on beam when I got to the gym after work and she spotted me, immediately asking me if I paid for her grips yet. She proceeded to get yelled at by her coach about talking to mom instead of focusing on what she was doing! :eek: Oops! She didn't seem to care, though. She got those grips, that's all that mattered. She wore them all the way home so she could show her dad! :)

:rotfl:I think that is the norm for all the girls getting their grips. At L6 our girls have to get them too. At L5 only get them if they are older. When my DD got her first grips it was the spring session of L5 her and one other girl got them because they were practicing L6 skills - you think they hit the jackpot too.

Now she is excited because they told her and a few other L7 girls they could get the Buckle type instead of the velcro ones Well she hasn't stopped bugging me to buy them since they told her she could get them. I told her as soon as the tax refund check comes in we'll get them - So guess what came in the mail today LOL. Guess I have to get them now LOL

Congrats to your DD. We received our first pair of grips over this way about a month ago. Grandma came to pick my daughter up at the gym and instead of wanting to show Grandma skills, Bug had to show off her new grips.

It is such a rite of passage for these girls.

That's cute that she was so excited!

At our gym, the "old" rule (back when big DD started) you HAD to be training L6 to get them. It was sort of a rite of passage LOL. Then some older girls came along in L4 (with Little Monkey) who wanted them so they just went and got them in L4/L5. They just did what they wanted and the coaches didn't say anything. Now, it's not really "special" like it used to be. LM will now be L6 but to be honest, her hands are so tiny that she has enough trouble grabbing the bar w/o grips. She has not mentioned them, and I'm not going to bring it up.

That's cute that she was so excited!

At our gym, the "old" rule (back when big DD started) you HAD to be training L6 to get them. It was sort of a rite of passage LOL. Then some older girls came along in L4 (with Little Monkey) who wanted them so they just went and got them in L4/L5. They just did what they wanted and the coaches didn't say anything. Now, it's not really "special" like it used to be. LM will now be L6 but to be honest, her hands are so tiny that she has enough trouble grabbing the bar w/o grips. She has not mentioned them, and I'm not going to bring it up.

we had 2 girls at L6 this past season that will redo L6 that are very small for their age (yes even smaller than most) They had to get something called "Pixie Grips" They are supposed to be grips designed for extra small hands.

we had 2 girls at L6 this past season that will redo L6 that are very small for their age (yes even smaller than most) They had to get something called "Pixie Grips" They are supposed to be grips designed for extra small hands.

My DD repeated L5 because she was very small for her age :D I have seen the Pixie grips which they didn't have before, but I'm just going to wait. Her coach doesn't feel that she HAS to have them. She has been learning the L6 routine w/o them.

I've never heard of Pixie grips before. Thanks for the info. Her grips are actually the buckle kind. She's so excited to use them for the first time. I asked the coach, too, whether or not she really needed them. He said at this gym, at Level 6, they're required. So, I guess I'm not going to argue! :rolleyes:

Congrats to your DD Netty! Mine is dying to use grips but she has to wait until after L5 States this weekend.

Gymmonkeymama, HotShots grips also come in very small sizes - they go down to 000 and are very narrow. So that's another option to Pixie Grips. My dd is also very small and has tiny hands and feet. I know she needs special grips, but she wants them all the same!

Meg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back