WAG DD has been downgraded...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my oldest dd was all set to compete level 10 this season. She has all her skills but has had some rough weeks and has been stressing/crying sometimes during practice. Her coach pulled her aside and told her that he would like her to compete her first 2 meets as a level 9 then do 10. He assured her that she will be competing 10, but not until February for her 3rd meet. After talking to me and my dd he explained that this was to lower the stress a little and to make it easier to transition because she is doing many new skills. She is doing yurkenkos for the first time (previously handspring front), double backs on floor, bars bail handstand (previously pak) a major release move, beam backhandspring stepout layout stepout (previously backhandspring stepout to backtuck), aerials, backward dismount (previously forward) and the list goes on. He says not to worry and that dd is doing fantastic. He says that she will do great this season.

I understand but dd is devastated, she doesn't think it's fair and now she thinks she "sucks" "Even my coach doesn't believe in me!"

i don't know what to tell her! Any suggestions?

Tell her she can work to be the best possible gymnast no matter which level she competes in. I'm sure the coach wants this to work out for her and will do his best to make it happen, but she needs to get on board and see it as a positive step that will allow her to mature as a level 10 at her pace, not USAG's.

My dd is competing level 9 with maxed out routines like your dd will have - its hard I'm sure for her to feel "downgraded" to use your word, but maybe if you try to get her mind to believe she is a maxed out 9, she will feel better about it?! You can probably use all of the same skills, as long as you don't have 2 d/e skills.

I can understand that she feels her coach doesn't have confidence in her but it appears the opposite - that he is trying to instill more confidence in your dd. Going into L10 meets after powerhousing at L9 meets a few weeks before will be a huge power boost for her confidence.

Such a tough situation :( But at the same time, a good decision from the coach. I can definitely see why your DD is upset and feels her coach lacks confidence in her, but continue to assure her that is not the case. She has added a LOT of skills, and it sounds like she is under a lot of pressure (likely a lot of this from herself) to get them all perfect ASAP. Stressing out and at times crying at practice isn't someone who is enjoying the challenge, and her coach recognized that and is giving her the opportunity to slow the pace. Many coaches wouldn't be as tolerant, and would instead push harder. Assure her that her coach is doing what he thinks will keep her from burning out so she can enjoy perfecting her new skills instead of stressing about them.

~Katy

Don't think of it as a downgrade...she hasn't competed L10 yet. I also do believe kids get more out of "succeeding" at a meet than merely getting by. She will be that much more ready to rock L10! Good luck to her! What an accomplishment to even be in that position!

I'd tell her the truth, the coach has every faith in her, but wants her to compete some of her new skills at level 9 first, so there's way less stress, and she can build confidence.

I'd maybe point out that Gabby Douglas' coach did the same thing- weren't her routines kept simple for a while to build confidence and get used to competing them, rather than stress her out with full on difficulty? Plus the Visa champs she was not actually entered, so she could perform her new routines without the stress of actually competing..

SHe'll be able to enjoy her first meets, and know she can compete the skills when it does come to 10. Huge confidence boost!

Oh, poor dear. How old is she? She IS still a level 10. She has her level 10 skills. She's just working into competing as a level 10 gradually.

Maybe you should have a bit of a talk with the HC and let him/her know what your DD is saying. I think this decision was made with the best possible motives, but maybe it's actually adding to your daughter's stress rather than reducing it. Maybe the 3 of you can talk, and the coach can explain to your daughter (again) why he/she made the decision and reassure your DD that it in no way means that he/she doesn't believe in her. And your daughter can say how she feels too. Maybe, after hearing your daughter's feelings on the subject, the HC will decide that she should compete 10 from the start after all (as long as she has the skills safely).

Making it to leve 9 OR 10 is, to me, mind-bogglingly amazing. It's a shame that your daughter doesn't see it that way.

It seems her coach only wants to build her confience. I know as gymnasts they don't always see this they only see they are not where they want to be. In time I think she will be able to process her HC's thinking and be glad about it.

She has some huge upgrades and I think being able to compete them at Level 9 and be sucessfull will help her in the long run. How old is she does she feel the pressure to need to compete Level 10 because of college's??
I would encourage her to discuss this all with her coach again as they seem to have her best intrest in mind. and I am sure HC can explain things to her and make her feel better about it. Your coaches seem to know what they are doing and while watching your DD is paiful hands off and letting her handle things at this level is important.

Best of wishes to you I know as mom's we always want to solve things painful for our kids but somtimes hands off is best. JMHO

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions.

She is a freshman this year and she does think she's "too old," and "needs to be a ten this year!" she will be a ten though... I think she's fine as everyone progresses at different paces. I think once this season is over and she has already competed level 10 she'll be ok. It's just her thinking "I'm a lower level now." ugh so much stress.

Ha, I agree with what one of the other posters said, in my opinion as a nine with maximum skills (and a soon to be ten) she is a rock star!! Sometimes climbing that mountain is so tough that it's hard to look around and enjoy the view. I once had a mentor years ago, back when I ran a couple of marathons, who reminded me that less than 1% of the U.S. population runs a full marathon, so as far as the masses were concerned it really didn't matter what my time was (mostly it just mattered to me)..... Same for your daughter, she's in a special group of less than 1% of her peers by virtue of all that she has already accomplished. But of course that competitive streak is what has gotten her where she is, so she may not listen to you! :) It if were me, I'd take her out this weekend shopping for a new outfit or awesome pair of boots or something to distract her and maybe let her be just a normal teenager begging her mom for the cool new pair of boots or something for a couple of hours...maybe she needs a little normal teenagerness for a couple of hours............

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back