Parents DD lost her BHS right before first meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TKBmom

Proud Parent
Gymnast
My daughter's first ever Level 3 meet is this Saturday. She lost her BHS after a bad landing at practice a couple of weeks ago and has not gotten it back. She said she is now scared to do it, even though she knows she can. She does it with help during practice but is she allowed to not try it at all during the meet?

That would probably depend on your gym and her coaches. I suspect that our gym would have the child scratch floor for now until she got it back. Just compete the other three events. I have seen other gyms have a coach on the floor to spot the child during a meet, so they at least get a score. She might surprise you and get it back on time.

My daughter did not have her backhandspring at the start of her level 3 meets. She did without the first meet (just did roundoff rebound), then the next two meets they spotted her on the floor. She scored much better with the spot than going without the handspring. In level 3 I believe there is no deduction for the coach being on the floor and then they deduct the handspring based on how much help there was from the spotter from my understanding.

My daughter did not have her backhandspring at the start of her level 3 meets. She did without the first meet (just did roundoff rebound), then the next two meets they spotted her on the floor. She scored much better with the spot than going without the handspring. In level 3 I believe there is no deduction for the coach being on the floor and then they deduct the handspring based on how much help there was from the spotter from my understanding.
No deduction for coach on the floor. If the coach spots, it is 0.5 for the spot and a loss of up to the value of the skill depending on how heavy the spot.

Our gym makes gymnasts practice it consistently for 1-2 weeks before competing. But girls who don’t have it still compete floor- just with the RH. At the practice girls were scoring high 7s and low 8s without the BH because everything else was so well executed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back