Parents DD needs advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My level 7 DD is very shy and I am not sure she is asking her coach the questions she should. She has had her giant for awhile now and when she first got it, she was able to keep her legs perfectly straight. Now, three days before states, she is bending her knees slightly. She says she knows they are bending but can't seem to straighten them. Was wondering if any of you more experienced mothers, fathers or coaches who read this can give me any advice how to talk her through this. I would talk to coach but with states so close, I am not going to be able to get time with her. I don't won't to train her, just talk to her about it with some sort of intelligence. Due to her being shy, she feels comfortable talking to me but with no knowledge of the sport, it is hard for me to know what to say. Maybe some of you have some tricks or visual techniques that may help. I am so uninformed about this sport, I would not know where to start. My brilliant comment to her was to point her toes to the ceiling.

I can't offer any advice on shyness, and... Im ONLY a dad, but I can offer what my DD's coach said about fixing bent knees. Also, this is probably a better question for the coaches.

Anyway:
When both legs are supposed to be together, feet pointed, such as when in a hollow position, doing a tap swing, or even in a handstand, make a conscious effort to press the big toes and the heels together, then curl the feet around trying to press the soles of the feet together. If the legs are straight, it would be literally impossible to do this with bent knees.

It helped my DD with a lazy foot (one pointed, one flat) and bent knees. Now it's second nature for her. It looks prettier too.

HIH

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back