DD Out For 6 Weeks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

jsfofec

Bad news for DD when she saw the doctor yesterday for her wrists which have been bothering her. After getting an MRI, they discovered she has a stress fracture in the growth plate of both wrists. She'll be out for 6 weeks. Fortunately they didn't have to put a cast on her wrists, just braces.

I felt so bad for her, you can see her eyes tearing up as the doctor was explaining this to her. Her Doctor is a former gymnast and works with injured gymnasts, so she was able to explain things to DD as a gymnast, which helped a lot.

DD was feeling a little better in the car on the way home, coming up with ideas of how she can still train without using her arms at all.

The coach gives injured gymnasts a special conditioning/training program to do at practice. It usually lasts about 1 to 1 1/2 hours and then they go home. DD already said she wants a program that will last the entire practice, if not, she'll just work on her "list" over and over until practice is over. It's impossible to keep DD out of the gym. Her coach knows this, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Either way, it's going to be a long 6 weeks, plus physical therapy afterwards

I'm sorry to hear about your dd's injury - what a bummer for her, but it will be better to get healed and strong now for summer training! It will be hard on you to keep her from coming back too quickly! Hang in there~

Awww, poor kid! So sorry to hear this! If your DD is anything like mine, the six weeks may even feel a little longer to you than they do to her . . . . all good thoughts and hopes for you and her to get through the resting time and reach full recovery!

Sorry to hear the bad news. But as best timing as there is, I guess. There are still lots she can work on at the gym. I'm sure she'll have no problem filling the time. It gets tedious not being able to train though. She may be looking to leave early after a couple weeks. When dd broke her wrist, she still went to every practice but it was only 2x/wk for 2hrs back then.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Oh no! I know how injuries can bring them down. At least the timing is good--she can recover, start work again and be well ready to go by next season.

Oh that is really too bad, but I am thrilled you got the MRI and results so fast. It will be frustrating for her, but if she takes care she will be pain free. It takes about 8 months to get an MRI here and at least a month for results.

I felt so bad for her, you can see her eyes tearing up as the doctor was explaining this to her. Her Doctor is a former gymnast and works with injured gymnasts, so she was able to explain things to DD as a gymnast, which helped a lot.

DD was feeling a little better in the car on the way home, coming up with ideas of how she can still train without using her arms at all.

Been there done that! So sorry about the injury. Love your DD's attitude though - mine was the same way when she broke her foot mid-season. She spent every minute of every practice in the gym doing extra conditioning and whatever she could do without her foot.

Six weeks at this point of the year will fly by and she'll be able to start easing back into training long before next season starts!

thanks for the support everybody!

No time is a good time to be injured, but if you do get injured, right now would be the best time with season just ending. I'm glad we didn't have to wait at all for the MRI or get the results.

Next challenge will be trying to get her to go home once she finishes whatever assignment her coach gives her each day.

So good you took her in and got the diagnosis. The time really will fly by before she knows it. Wish her my best!

Sorry to hear that she's injured.:( 6 weeks will probably feel like an eternity to her and maybe to you as you try to insure that she's not overdoing it. You might want to caution her that when she starts training again, it'll take some time to get the upper body strength back. There was a girl in DD's gym who fractured her elbow and when she was cleared to start back, she told her mom that she was shocked to find how much upper body strength she'd lost. Good luck to her!

Definitely the best timing if her season just ended, she really won't miss a thing! The wait will come close to killing her, but it is essential that she let her wrists heal. When my dd had a break, I explained to her that the time it takes for the injury to heal is nothing compared to amount of years left she has to do this sport. If you don't let the injury properly heal it will nag her for the remainder of her career. Wait the 6 weeks, do what you are told to do and it will be over before she knows it!

so sorry she is injured & both wrists ! ugh ! 6 weeks will seem like forever but like you said at least it isn't meet season !!!!

So sorry. We were there this time last year. Fracture in growth plate in wrist, 4 weeks after states. Unfortunately she broke it again right before the 6 weeks were up, and missed most of the summer. She stayed most of the time for full practices as well. We did take the time though to do stuff she doesn't usually get to do- like sleepovers with non-gym friends, and spring celebrations at school. She worked a lot on dance and her jumps and leaps on floor and beam this year were beautiful!

What a bummer for your daughter, but at least the timing is as good as it could be if she has to have an injury. I hope the time flies by for her and I am sure she'll come out stronger on the flip side.

Oh that is really too bad, but I am thrilled you got the MRI and results so fast. It will be frustrating for her, but if she takes care she will be pain free. It takes about 8 months to get an MRI here and at least a month for results.

What?!! Yikes!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back