Parents DD quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well,after a year of injuries dd lost her desire for gymnastics.
It took about 5 month with this last injury for her to recover and be pain free.
Very frustrating especially since she had so much upgrades in her skills.
She did accomplish a lot in only 6 years of gymnastics and she looks at this as a finished chapter in her life and a new one has begun.
She was a second year Level 9 gymnast (although only competed x2 this past season due to injury) and also went to Nationals last year.
I'm sad but also relieved.It is hard seeing your kids hurt.
I also like having her at home more now and we can sit down as a family and eat dinner.
So a lot of positive actually came out of it too.I'm also shure she would still be doing gym if she would've not gotten hurt again.
She will try other sports,mostly just on a rec Level.Signed up for Tennis,Volleyball and Summer track.
I might stay around on the CB because I like to hear about every bodies progress and also like to cheer them on.
Of course I still like the sport too.

Sorry to hear about dd--injuries have to be the toughest to deal with in this sport. I am glad that she has such a great attitude and is ready to move on without any regrets. She has accomplished so much--reached level 9 in only 6 years--not too many gymnasts can say that!!! Congrats to her on an awesome gymnastics career and good luck to her in whatever lies ahead!!!

I am sorry to hear this. Your DD has accomplished so much in such a short time. Best of luck to her in whatever she chooses to do in the future. I am sure whatever she does, she will have lots of success :)

I'm sorry to hear she quit. She has a lot of talent and I figured I was going to get to meet you in person eventually at a meet next season. Sounds like you're taking it well though. I hope she finds something else she can excel at.

Sorry to hear it but sounds like she is going out with the right attitude. It can be really frustrating as an athlete dealing with constant injuries. And I imagine it is very tough as a parent as well. I know how I feel when Midget is hurt and for her it has all been just bruises so far.

I do hope you stick around. I would love to hear how her new adventures go.

SHe was a talented gymnasts to progress so quickly in so few years, I can still remember her first videos showing how quickly she was moving along! It is very hard for them to constantly rehab and some girls just get hurt more than others. NOw mine oldest is finished with WAG she is enjoying teen life and may do tramp next year, but with way less hours and srtess on her body.

Hope your DD's time is filled with new and exciting expereriences, and your wallet with lots of cash from the saved tuition and gas milage.

ZJsMom: I would've liked meeting you too.

Bog: Yes it will be easier on the wallet too.I'm able to distribute the money evenly now to all the kids.I admit the other two had to suffer at times.

She also enjoys just being together with her friends. She is 12 now and busy starting to do that teenage thing.
Even though she does not do gym anymore she is really active with jogging,jump roping,push ups, etc, and that all on her own.

Was your DD talking about quitting for awhile? Just curious if it surprised you or not.

You seem ok with the decision, but maybe she'll change her mind with some time off. Best of luck to her.

So sorry to hear that. Sounds like she's making a very mature decision and is willing to try new things. I also hope you stop in everyonce and a while and give us an update on what she's up to! Best of luck!

Was your DD talking about quitting for awhile? Just curious if it surprised you or not.

You seem ok with the decision, but maybe she'll change her mind with some time off. Best of luck to her.

She was not talking about it but I think she has been thinking about it for a little while before she told us.

So sorry to hear.. she is a beautiful gymnasts! Loved watching her videos with DD. She will do great in any sport!! Best of luck!

Sorry to hear that she quit, but happy/jealous that you have your family life back. Sometimes I feel like DD is not part of the family because she is never HOME! Keep up posted!

Hunde2, you seem to be handling this transition in your daughter’s life (and in your life!) quite graciously.

Like the parents of all other competitive gymnasts, I understand that my daughter will someday make that same transition. I’d be interested in your thoughts on what you would do, based on the knowledge and experience you’ve gathered in those six years, if you had the opportunity to start over. In my limited experience (mostly as a driver) during my daughter’s ten years in gymnastics, much of this sort of helpful information is lost as parents and gymnasts simply and often suddenly disappear from the gym (I very rarely see the parent’s of my daughter’s former teammates); your continued presence at this site thus presents an unusual opportunity. I hope that you will consider doing us all a favor by contributing your thoughts while they are still fresh in your mind, and that other parents who have undergone this transformation from parent-of-a-gymnast to parent-of-a-former-gymnast will chime in.

Hunde2, you seem to be handling this transition in

your daughter’s life (and in your life!) quite graciously.

Like the parents of all other competitive gymnasts, I understand that my daughter will someday make that same transition. I’d be interested in your thoughts on what you would do, based on the knowledge and experience you’ve gathered in those six years, if you had the opportunity to start over. In my limited experience (mostly as a driver) during my daughter’s ten years in gymnastics, much of this sort of helpful information is lost as parents and gymnasts simply and often suddenly disappear from the gym (I very rarely see the parent’s of my daughter’s former teammates); your continued presence at this site thus presents an unusual opportunity. I hope that you will consider doing us all a favor by contributing your thoughts while they are still fresh in your mind, and that other parents who have undergone this transformation from parent-of-a-gymnast to parent-of-a-former-gymnast will chime in.

Thanks,I will have to think about this for a while.I don't know if things would have turned out different if she would have taken a different path in gymnastics or if we would have done some things different.
Sometimes I wonder if it was the way she was trained that caused her overuse injuries.I don't know.I believe if she would have not gotten hurt this last time,which took 5 month to recover she would still be doing gym.
It probably also has to do with age. She is 12 and starting to get more independent.
I do still struggle with her decision.We as parents are so involved especially in this sport.

All I can say is good luck with all your future endeavours. I have enjoyed following you posts and watching you daughter progress in this sport. Enjoy your new found free time. You deserve it!
Megz xx

Sorry to hear about your daughter's nagging injury and decision to leave the sport. She certainly is a talented girl! I'm sure she will be successful at whichever sport she goes into now!

Thanks,I will have to think about this for a while.I don't know if things would have turned out different if she would have taken a different path in gymnastics or if we would have done some things different.
Sometimes I wonder if it was the way she was trained that caused her overuse injuries.I don't know.I believe if she would have not gotten hurt this last time,which took 5 month to recover she would still be doing gym.
It probably also has to do with age. She is 12 and starting to get more independent.
I do still struggle with her decision.We as parents are so involved especially in this sport.

I know what you mean hunde2. It was very hard (an still is) when dd left cheerleading and all her friends. We both were very invloved with the All-Star cheer circuit and it was hard to not be involved anymore. Even now, with dd being away from cheer for 2 years, it is tempting to think the "what ifs" if she had stayed in that sport. Especially since now all her old teammates from her original gym have now switched over to the new cheer gym that dd had gone to when they chose to stay. It is becoming a "reunion" in that they are all now at the same gym and many of them are on the same team. It's hard when you feel "left out" because you chose to take another path and do something totally different.

But, I do have to say that dd now has so many new friends with the gymnastics and ballet as well as the old friends with cheer. I feel that dd is benefiting from being able to participate in many other opportunities that many of her cheer friends aren't able to due to the fact that they are focussing on cheer only.

I guess it is that "the grass is always greener" symdrome--we all wonder what other pastures are like. But, life is full of choices and opportunities, and I am sure that you and your dd have so much waiting for you!!!

It is also awesome that your dd is self-motivated and works out on her own--that will really help her grow into a very confident and healthy adult. Good luck and please stay in touch!!!

The thing I miss the most is actually the traveling.I really enjoy long car rides.Since she was only able to attend 2 meets this past season which was in January and February I haven't really been anywhere but home.
I also miss socializing with the other parents.
Most of them were pretty nice.
She started Summer track last week and there is a meet this weekend.I was so hoping she would want to got to it but she feels like she is not ready.
We actually singed her up a little late.
I also think she kind of wants to keep sports "low key" for now.
Just read in the newspaper that one of her team mates who had to quit due to health problems placed 2 nd at state at pole vaulting.Wow this was her first season.I'm so happy for her.She wanted to compete gymnastics in college so much and was pretty good (Level 10).

Good luck to her! I hope she remains happy with her decision and doesn't regret it.

Wishing your DD joy & success as she moves on to new adventures. She is so strong & talented I know great things lie ahead for her. If she wants to lay low for a bit, I think that's understandable. She's used to rigorous training of gymnastics and to just jump into track full force & competitively may seem daunting to her right away. Once she gets her bearings I think she'll be pleasantly surprised how ready for track she already is:D.

When my DD "dabbled" in track, the track coach loved her because she was so "coachable". She listened & took corrections & made them just like she does in gymnastics. She ended up breaking school records her 1st season competeing track. Funny thing was she had no idea how good she was. It was all so different then the gymnastics she was used too. She says it was "dumb luck" because she had no idea what she was doing outside on the track,LOL! :p

I also became friends with the track parents too. Maybe when she feels comfortable competing you will be able to make some new friends too:D!Good luck to you & your DD as she makes the transition into new sports.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back