Parents DD's Questions/Concerns

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've just got to ask how she has time to do all of those and how you have the energy to get her there. Mine just does gym and dance and I'm exhausted!

My daughter also sounds very similar to yours. We tried to do scouts last year however she liked it in theory more than reality. It was more sedentary than she cared to be after school. Hopefully your daughter will have a more active troop. She does loves crafts so we continue them at home. We let her do dance in summer and swimming then also. She isnt allowed to do any thing other than gym and the first grade during the school year:)

She does get to do level 6 skills after she performs a set amount of "perfect" level 5 routines, this helps keep her excited. However, mine seems to like and need the repetition of the level five routines. She likes things to be perfect and so I think it takes her a while to feel she has it down the way she should. She over thinks EVERYTHING. I am hoping she learns to trust herself and her body.

On a side note, she will be at the Chicago meet too! Do you know if they split out the 7yo? The meets she has done so far always are just 8 and under. Just curious, also what day does your DD compete? Would love to see her after all I have read here about her:)

My daughter also sounds very similar to yours. We tried to do scouts last year however she liked it in theory more than reality. It was more sedentary than she cared to be after school. Hopefully your daughter will have a more active troop. She does loves crafts so we continue them at home. We let her do dance in summer and swimming then also. She isnt allowed to do any thing other than gym and the first grade during the school year:)

She does get to do level 6 skills after she performs a set amount of "perfect" level 5 routines, this helps keep her excited. However, mine seems to like and need the repetition of the level five routines. She likes things to be perfect and so I think it takes her a while to feel she has it down the way she should. She over thinks EVERYTHING. I am hoping she learns to trust herself and her body.

On a side note, she will be at the Chicago meet too! Do you know if they split out the 7yo? The meets she has done so far always are just 8 and under. Just curious, also what day does your DD compete? Would love to see her after all I have read here about her:)

DD can get a little one track minded as well. She likes to work on what she says she needs work on and what her bar coach calls to her attention. She loves to please him. There was a time when she told her teammates she had a crush on him. Oh My!
She competes on Friday at 12:30. I think the 7's will compete with the 8's (7&8 yo.). The age level is usually 7 & 8 yo. I think this is a USAG thing, but I am not certain. What day does your DD compete? I will be managing the Wacker gym all day Saturday, and DD will be floating around w/designated sitters. It would be great to meet up at the meet.

I agree with the advice to get her involved with many other activities - especially some in which she isn't so great. It's good for them to learn that it's okay to not be the best at everything...

My 6 year old daughter excels in Gymnastics, snowboarding, piano, and school. But she also does ice skating and swimming both of which she isn't very good at....

I have to concede to that. I do agree she has to be involved in other non-gym activities, but phew! I was tired reading all that your DD can do. She must really be tireless. But it's awesome that she is balanced.

My DD is in eight am Sunday session . It would be great to be able to make it to see your DD, we arent sure when we will be flying in yet. I know for our USAG state meet the 7 yo have thier own age division and in some of the bigger meets too. It seems to be based on the number of kids in each age group for the assignment of age categories ie somtimes she is 8 and under sometimes 9 and under and sometimes 7y, Sigh so much to learn in this sport:)

My DD is in eight am Sunday session . It would be great to be able to make it to see your DD, we arent sure when we will be flying in yet. I know for our USAG state meet the 7 yo have thier own age division and in some of the bigger meets too. It seems to be based on the number of kids in each age group for the assignment of age categories ie somtimes she is 8 and under sometimes 9 and under and sometimes 7y, Sigh so much to learn in this sport:)

Yes, at the local meets, age groups are set based on number of kids and how it breaks out with say just 7 year olds or 7 and 8 yo? Usually at L5, the largest age groups are the 9 and 10 yos---they may each have their own age group. At the state meet, the girls are grouped by age--7s have their own awards although may compete in the same session as the 8 year olds. It all comes down to a numbers game.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back