DD's wrist pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym monkeys mom

Proud Parent
So I took DD to the Sports MD for wrist pain. She had been complaining for about 3 -4 weeks. I usually dont run her in right away anymore experince has told me sometimes it passes with ice and ibuprophen.

Well this time I maybe should have jumped on it. She has inflamation of the growth plates in both wrists she is off any impact for 2 weeks for wsure and if they are not much improved they will do MRI to look for stress fractures.
UGH!!

DD has been really lucky she has not had any big unjuries ever in all her years at the gym. She is 13 yrs too bad her growth plates are not fused yet.

Oh well she will stay off them and hope for the best. Next week we only have 1 practice anyways.

So does anyone know if bars are ok or are they considered impact??

Sorry to hear that she is injured. Glad she got to the doctor and I hope that after 2 weeks of rest, she will be on the mend and get better really quickly.

If she was mine, I would keep her off bars as well. I think bars put a lot of stress on the wrists. I would probably have the coaches treat her as if she had a broken arm/wrist and just have her do what a girl with that type of injury would be able to do. Running, conditioning of lower body, flexibility, maybe arms stuff that doesn't involve the wrists (with therabands or something?), ab stuff, leaps and turns on floor and beam.

Especially with meet season being over, err WAY on the side of caution. It isn't worth the risk of messing with those growth plates especially.

Sorry to hear that she is injured. Glad she got to the doctor and I hope that after 2 weeks of rest, she will be on the mend and get better really quickly.

If she was mine, I would keep her off bars as well. I think bars put a lot of stress on the wrists. I would probably have the coaches treat her as if she had a broken arm/wrist and just have her do what a girl with that type of injury would be able to do. Running, conditioning of lower body, flexibility, maybe arms stuff that doesn't involve the wrists (with therabands or something?), ab stuff, leaps and turns on floor and beam.

Especially with meet season being over, err WAY on the side of caution. It isn't worth the risk of messing with those growth plates especially.

I agree totally.

Growth plate issues in the Tweens seems to be a common issue. Most of the ones I've seen with issues tend to be in the knees and ankles.

Sorry to hear about the injuries. I would keep her off bars simply due to all the wrist shifting she has to do for many of her skills plus if she does pirouettes then that is a skill where she puts pressure on those wrists. I would say 2 weeks of complete rest and then hopefully she'll be much better.

I, too, would keep her off of anything until she is further evaluated. I was watching a video link someone put up on CB about sports-related injuries, and the Dr. was talking at one point about growth plate injuries. I do remember specifically he said that if a growth plate injury occurs on one side (either wrist or ankle), and is not allowed to properly heal, then that could STOP the growth in the affected limb. The result being an arm or leg shorter than the other!!! YIKES!!! Not worth the inconvenience of missing a little bit of gym time!!!

Soo sorry to hear about gm's wrist .I would not let her do bars either .Sending some quick healing her way!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back