Parents Dealing with mental block

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flyaway

Proud Parent
Is it acceptable for a parent to request that the coach be willing to spot a gymnast that is dealing with a mental block? Poor dd is struggling and she is doing everything she can to work through it. She's speaking with a sports psychologist to help with the mental side of things and is trying to implement strategies during practice. I'm trying to decide if a conversation with her coach would be helpful so they know where she's at mentally and what she needs from them during practice. I don't know if spotting her would help her overcome or if it would hurt her more.

To be more specific if it helps, her block is in connecting her BHS to anything. She can do a standing BHS (even on the beam!) but she suddenly cannot connect with a round off, or another BHS or BT. She pauses in between. I just wonder if a spot would give her confidence so she could actually DO it and remind her brain that she knows how. Her coaches do not like to spot and I don't want to tell them how to do their job so I'm treading lightly...

If you think of it, please send positive mojo and prayers to my dd. It's breaking my heart to see her so frustrated and sad. :(

Sending positive vibes! So hard to know how the coach would respond to your request but personally I think spotting can really help with this situation. Good luck either way!

I would think maybe requesting a meeting to discuss the issue would be appropriate. You could let them know strategies she is using (so they know she is working on it!), and ask them their strategies for helping her. Somewhere in the process you could ask them if they feel spotting would help her....if it’s done respectfully, I don’t see an issue.

I would think maybe requesting a meeting to discuss the issue would be appropriate. You could let them know strategies she is using (so they know she is working on it!), and ask them their strategies for helping her. Somewhere in the process you could ask them if they feel spotting would help her....if it’s done respectfully, I don’t see an issue.

I agree with amiandjim. I think requesting a meeting to discuss the block is very appropriate. I describing what you are doing at home and asking how they are dealing with it in the gym — to make sure you are aligned is appropriate. I think bringing up spotting is ok — as long as you do it respectfully and are willing to really listen to their rationale with an open mind if their answer is no.

I would discuss her block, the strategies you are currently using. And ask them how they deal with blocks. You could bring up spotting but really they either will or they won't.

Our gym doesn't spot beam. They let them work progressions. Floor, floor beam, wide beam, narrow lower beam, stack mats under the high beam, Pause, until they are comfortable but they don't spot.

As an aside. We have a couple of kids who spent most of the season flat out not connecting. With absolute intent. Knew their scores were taking a hit but felt better because they weren't stressing falling and missing the connection. As the season progressed there was less of a pause. By states they were connecting (now whether they actually did and got credit I don't know but intentional pauses were done).

My DD recently broke her hand while being spotted doing a bhs on high beam. She's had this skill solidly for a year, but was struggling a bit due to a mental block.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back