Parents Deciding to be done?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ego248

Proud Parent
11 DD ended last season really excited about new season - which we are halfway though meets (Xcel Platinum). Five months in- November she began saying she wanted to quit. Had a few meeting with main coach and found it seemed to be more about an issue with not getting along with another coach and it was sort of addressed and now DD seems much happier and even working on skills she previously had blocks on- vault and fly away. She had even said to me a few weeks ago she didn’t want to do another sport - she just wanted to do gymnastics. She had switched to Xcel a few years ago so she could try other sports and has competed track and field for two seasons.

Just learned this past weekend that majority of girls on her team are planing to leave after this season. And then I over heard her say to one teammate that she is also done after this season and will be doing volleyball.

Can’t help but wonder if she is being influenced by the others (most are a year or two older)? Also coaching style not being a good fit?

For now she plans to finish the season (3 months are left). I think I will address this all with her more directly when it is time to renew for next season. I also think it would be worthwhile to at least checkout/ tryout a new gym before she makes a final decision about it. There is now a new option in our area that looks to be very focused on being positive and encouraging (marketing messages).

My DD is in a similar situation, it seems. Back in October, she developed a pretty bad mental block on bars around the same time her best gym friend decided this would be her last season. My DD broke down one night and said it was too hard and that she wanted to quit. At this point, we were already out a few thousand dollars for the season and talked to DD about finishing the season before making her decision, but that we would be happy for her either way. We didn’t want to let her quit because it was “too hard”, but because she was really “done” with gym.
Fast forward to January, DD did awesome in her first meet, hit bars and all her routines, and was super happy and excited about competing and said she wanted to keep doing gymnastics. Well, the mental block is back now, and the next 3 meets in a row she has fallen on bars. Husband and I are just being loving and supportive, but it has been so hard to watch. After falling again at the last meet, DD says she really does want to quit, and says 3 of her same level teammates are also quitting after the season ends.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back