WAG Deduction for pause in beam series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

honu

Proud Parent
My DD plans to compete a BHS BHS as her beam series. Currently, she pauses before doing the second BHS. I am curious what the deduction is for not connecting the two. Hopefully, she will have the connection as the season continues, but it may not be there for the first few meets. Just curious what to expect deduction wise. Thanks in advance for your help.

If she does BHS - stop - BHS, she loses 0.5 point from her start value for not meeting the series requirement. The 2nd BHS also does not receive element value, so if she needs it to be one of her "B" skills, she would lose another 0.3 from her start value.

I'm assuming she is level 7, 8, or 9.

Thanks for the info. I did not think about the number of B skill requirements. She is a level 8. She also has a standing back tuck in her routine. I am thinking that could cover missing credit for the second BHS. I still have trouble remembering all the requirements. Much more complicated when you get to the optional levels.

Yeah - I think they hammer you worse than had you done the series and fell off after getting a foot on on the second bhs. We had a girl do the pause once last year and she scored worse than those who fell by a signicant amount - and the rest of her routine was beautiful and she didn't fall.

If she does BHS - stop - BHS, she loses 0.5 point from her start value for not meeting the series requirement. The 2nd BHS also does not receive element value, so if she needs it to be one of her "B" skills, she would lose another 0.3 from her start value.

I'm assuming she is level 7, 8, or 9.

Just curious, why doesn't the second BHS receive VP credit? I thought you could get credit for two of the same skill just not three.

Just curious, why doesn't the second BHS receive VP credit? I thought you could get credit for two of the same skill just not three.
You can get VP credit for a skill twice, provided it is in a different connection. Different connection means that something different comes before or after. It's confusing, but:
* If you do BHS#1 + BHS#2: BHS#1 connected to nothing before and BHS#2 after. BHS#2 is connected to BHS#1 before and nothing after. Therefore they both count for VP since each is in a "different" connection.
* If you do BHS#1 stop BHS#2: BHS #1 is connected to nothing before and nothing after, and BHS#2 is connected to nothing before and nothing after, so BHS#2 is not in a different connection and does not receive VP.
# But, say the gymnasts is trying to do a three element series. They mess up, and do BHS#1 stop BHS#2 + layout step out. Well BHS#1 is connected to nothing before and after. BHS#2 is connected to nothing before, but to a LOSO after. Now they do get credit for both BHS.

You can get VP credit for a skill twice, provided it is in a different connection. Different connection means that something different comes before or after. It's confusing, but:
* If you do BHS#1 + BHS#2: BHS#1 connected to nothing before and BHS#2 after. BHS#2 is connected to BHS#1 before and nothing after. Therefore they both count for VP since each is in a "different" connection.
* If you do BHS#1 stop BHS#2: BHS #1 is connected to nothing before and nothing after, and BHS#2 is connected to nothing before and nothing after, so BHS#2 is not in a different connection and does not receive VP.
# But, say the gymnasts is trying to do a three element series. They mess up, and do BHS#1 stop BHS#2 + layout step out. Well BHS#1 is connected to nothing before and after. BHS#2 is connected to nothing before, but to a LOSO after. Now they do get credit for both BHS.

This makes sense. Thank you!

My DD has been told that if she ever messes up her series cause she feels off after the first bhs, that she should not even do the second backhandspring if she has to pause, but should instead move up on the beam and do a walkover+bhs series instead of retrying her bhs+bhs.
We call that "back pocket" skills… Smart coach. Gotta <3 it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back