WAG Deductions for DD Floor Routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vans2

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! We just had our first lvl 6 practice meet. She's been recovering from partially torn ligaments in her left foot, but I was very curious how much deductions she's receiving due to the obviously crooked front tuck (because she still doesn't fully punch on the left foot anymore) and the semi-wild landing out of her back tuck.

Those seem to be the most obvious issues, but of course if you want to share any other deductions you see that would be awesome! We didn't receive any scores so we have no idea what her routine might score as of now. Our first real meet is over 5 weeks away.

Thank you everyone in advance!

Looks great! I would say a couple tenths for each of the things that you mentioned. The other big thing I noticed is her switch leap. There will be deductions for any angle less than 180 and it must reach greater than 135 to get credit.

Other than that is is pretty clean. Maybe a bit of amplitude and dynamic tenths. These are subjective, but seem pretty common. They tend to like things big and high and with lots of energy.

Overall seems like a great start!

Looks great! I would say a couple tenths for each of the things that you mentioned. The other big thing I noticed is her switch leap. There will be deductions for any angle less than 180 and it must reach greater than 135 to get credit.

Other than that is is pretty clean. Maybe a bit of amplitude and dynamic tenths. These are subjective, but seem pretty common. They tend to like things big and high and with lots of energy.

I agree! Maybe another tenth on the straddle jump, it was hard to tell what the angle was on it. Its a nice clean routine!

As everyone said above it is a clean routine! the only issues/potential issues I saw were:
-Switch leap needs to hit 180
-Straddle jump needs to hit 180 and be even (one leg not higher than another) - not sure if her legs were even from the angle of the video
-Need to make sure she doesn't go out of bounds on her ending pose - not clear if she did here but it's close to the line so it could be a danger
-Throughout her shoulders are crunched forward a bit - should work on pressing her shoulders down and back (while not sticking her ribcage out) and elongating her neck to improve posture/presentation
-The landings, obviously

As everyone said above it is a clean routine! the only issues/potential issues I saw were:
-Switch leap needs to hit 180
-Straddle jump needs to hit 180 and be even (one leg not higher than another) - not sure if her legs were even from the angle of the video
-Need to make sure she doesn't go out of bounds on her ending pose - not clear if she did here but it's close to the line so it could be a danger
-Throughout her shoulders are crunched forward a bit - should work on pressing her shoulders down and back (while not sticking her ribcage out) and elongating her neck to improve posture/presentation
-The landings, obviously
Thanks for the details. I believe she hit the switch leap height but it's hard to tell on the video.

Her crumpled shoulders is def a thing. That's the posture she makes when she's unsure. I'm sure you noticed she looked very worried during the whole routine. There was not even a crack of a smile. Totally nervous. Hopefully she will be more comfortable and sure of herself next time. I'll share this feedback with her so she can improve these things. Every little bit of critique helps!

Thank you. She's been working really hard. Floor has never been her strong event. It's actually been her worst event since lvl 3.

I agree, they want big and high. She's only been back to tumbling for about a month now and has discovered power that she never had before. The back tuck is now higher than ever and her RBH is fast and tight. That break from injury has reset her tumbling and been a blessing in disguise. Her RBH BH use to be low and so slow, now she gets out of control with her tumbling as you saw in the video. I am not sure there's a lot to fix with the crooked front tuck though. She probably just needs the confidence that she can fully punch on the injured foot again.

I felt like her leap was close to 180 but she doesn't point her back toe which makes it look significantly lower in real time. Pointing that toe will definitely up her score. I thought she could work on toe more throughout and clean up the dance on the floor before her robhsbt...some bent legs and she should show off her flexibility with a bigger straddle (not the jump...the part on the floor). She could focus on making her back tuck go more up instead of back and that way she won't open too early and land like that. Her shoulders were the first thing I noticed and I would've taken at least a tenth for overall posture. Another tenth for footwork (use those toes!) and another tenth for artistry. So there's .3 she can get back without stressing even more about her injury.

Other than what has already been said, one thing that I think she could work on to improve the overall impression of her routine is to try and take some moments through out to make eye contact and some connection with the judge. Perhaps even starting her floor routine facing the judges. Needs more artistry essentially.

~ Update ~ We found out her score recently. 8.75.

She will score in the low 9s at the next meet if we can fix the two major problems with the landings, not to mention all the other small fixes pointed out here :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back