Dent in shin

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Today I was running my hand down my shin, and I noticed there is a dent in my shin bone! It is about 2-3 inches down from my knee, and about 1/2 inch in diameter. (sorry for the non-Americans, I don't know how to convert to cm). I didn't hit it on anything, and I am pretty sure it just appeared within a day or two ago. I had shin splints and I am still recovering from them, so maybe that has something to do with it? I told my parents, and they said maybe it's swollen around it, making it seem like there is a dent, but there is not really any swelling. I doesn't really hurt when I push on it, but randomly, I will feel a really sharp pain there for about 10 seconds. I don't know what it is! Help!

Agreed with Bog, especially because the dent is associated with pain.
It might just be something similar to what I have been living with for over 25 years now. My little on says I have "speed bumps" on my shins. Both of them- some larger than others. I have had them since I was a gymnast- not terribly noticeable to anyone but me, and I guess I figured I got them when I was learning kips and smacking my shins on the bar. I remember my mum- who is a medical professional- being very alarmed when each new dent was associated with tenderness but no bruising. I know we never did anything specific to prevent or treat them, but knowing mum we definitely saw an ortho over them. To me they are just fond memory makers.

perfectly normal for a gymnast, but you should still get it checked to rule out anything else.:)

I have lots of these on my shins! I used to hit my shins on the bar so bad that they would bleed. While the dents used to hurt a lot, they've gotten to the point where I don't feel very much there any more.

I'd just avoid hitting your shins on the bar, or anything else, for a while. It hurts a LOT to hit a dented shin!

Shins hurt a lot. I had shin splints for years and then a stress fracture that took a long time to heal. I have some dents in my shins too but I don't think they are a big deal. See a doctor though just to make sure.

Agreed with Bog, especially because the dent is associated with pain.
It might just be something similar to what I have been living with for over 25 years now. My little on says I have "speed bumps" on my shins. Both of them- some larger than others. I have had them since I was a gymnast- not terribly noticeable to anyone but me, and I guess I figured I got them when I was learning kips and smacking my shins on the bar. I remember my mum- who is a medical professional- being very alarmed when each new dent was associated with tenderness but no bruising. I know we never did anything specific to prevent or treat them, but knowing mum we definitely saw an ortho over them. To me they are just fond memory makers.
I agree. My shins are full of lumps and bumps and have been for years, but I've also seen plenty of doctors for shin related problems over the years, so I assume if it were anything serious they would have brought it up. Like everyone else said, it's your best bet to get it checked out just to make sure nothing more serious is going on. You should probably be seeing a doctor periodically for the shin splints anyway as they can take quite some time to fully heal, so it wouldn't hurt to stop in and get them checked out. Good luck!

Well, last night after practice, I was checking my shins again, and I found a dent in my other shin! I showed my parents, and my dad still thinks it is because of swelling or something since I worked them out so much. They say it's not a big deal, so I don't think they'd take me to the doctor for it. I guess I will just wait a few days and see what happens. Do they go away, or will they stay there?

I ran cross country my last year of high school and had terrible shin splints. It has been almost 4 years since then and I can still feel dents in my shins.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back