WAG Diamond Bars SV Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Um, no. No way! If you are a competitive coach, Xcel or JO, or any other league, you need to have the rule book. In my opinion, it’s straight up unacceptable to not have the Code of Points. It is essential because, as a coach, you owe it to your athletes to know the rules, and to have a way to reference an official source when you don’t know. I’m saying this generally, and not specifically directing this at anyone.

That being said, I’m rusty on the Xcel code now from focusing so much on JO, so @wandrewsjr, thanks for schooling me! I just learned a bunch!
I just know, having worked at low budget gyms, that not all gyms feel the same way as you and do not provide appropriate materials for their coaches. This puts it on the coaches to purchase necessary materials on their own, and the price is high for those of us not being paid much in the first place.
I absolutely think it's beneficial and is something coaches SHOULD have, but I also understand what it's like coming from a program that doesn't prioritize such things and having to make it work.

I just know, having worked at low budget gyms, that not all gyms feel the same way as you and do not provide appropriate materials for their coaches. This puts it on the coaches to purchase necessary materials on their own, and the price is high for those of us not being paid much in the first place.
I absolutely think it's beneficial and is something coaches SHOULD have, but I also understand what it's like coming from a program that doesn't prioritize such things and having to make it work.
Honestly, I understand why they don’t have it. Our bars coach, in particular, is a volunteer- he’s not even paid (except for meets), so he’s not gonna put out his own money for stuff. The owners are also coaches, but not for girls. If they don’t provide what is needed, I definitely don’t hold it against our coaches, but I do hold it against them.

I had a coach this season who learned the Xcel Silver vault had changed from a flatback over the table to a vault over a sideways mat IN WARM-UPS FOR THE MEET. Their gymnasts had never done the competition vault before and had five minutes to learn it. Luckily, the XS is one of the safer vaults and spotting in Xcel does not void the vault, but that really shouldn't happen.

I had a coach this season who learned the Xcel Silver vault had changed from a flatback over the table to a vault over a sideways mat IN WARM-UPS FOR THE MEET. Their gymnasts had never done the competition vault before and had five minutes to learn it. Luckily, the XS is one of the safer vaults and spotting in Xcel does not void the vault, but that really shouldn't happen.
Yeah, in my mind that is just completely ridiculous and should not happen… ever. That is so unbelievably unfair to the athletes. It doesn’t take that much effort to keep updated on the rules and changes, especially in this day and age. And that’s whether you have the code or not.

Also, if a gym can’t put out the $50 or $60 for the COP, there is something wrong there. :rolleyes:

This baffles me because most updates are available on the usag website for free. There are also other ways for coaches to stay informed. Coaches should be doing research and study to keep up on what the rules and requirements are. Even a forum like this could help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back