Difference between USTA and USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jamarie

Proud Parent
In USTA their are different levels for tumbling and tramp/double-mini. Tumbling levels are sub-beginner, beginner, advanced beginner, sub-novice, novice, intermediate, sub-advanced, advanced. Tramp/double-mini levels are beginner, novice, intermediate, sub-advanced, advanced. The lower levels are competed per age group, the higher levels are 9-10, 11-12, etc. There is also elite level. You have to reach a certain difficulty to be elite level. The main competition for this is at USTA Nationals when you compete against all (females or males) elite, all ages.

Each level has certain skill requirements that must be met. (For example, my daughter and teamate compete at the same level on trampoline. My DD has a difficulty of 5.7, teamate 5.4. Different passes, samel level.) If you do less than required you are deducted, if you do a higher level than required you are deducted and mandated to the next level. At the elite level at Nationals there is a compulsorary pass and two optional passes (for tumbling).

Another difference is USAG is more costly than USTA. Sorry if I have rambled too much and have you more confused:)

I love USTA <3.

In theory, all levels are optionals in USTA (though in tumbling for subnovice and novice you see pretty much the same things, at the lower and higher levels you see a lot of variety. Trampoline & double mini the routines are always adjusted to the athlete).

USTA is cheaper, and back when I did it there were fewer apparel restrictions (no one cares what leotard you wear, so long as it's clean and covers everything, for example, this makes the sport more accessable to famies with less money).

And...all levels except Subbeginners have the opportunity to qualify to nationals. There are also mandates in USTA (but not USAG) and there are no qualify to move up scores in USTA (but there are in USAG).

-coach goofy, former USTA tumbler and USAG gymnast

Actually, sub-beginners can compete at USTA Nationals now. It is a recent change within the past few years. I don't know that I would travel 10-20 hours so my 3 or 4 year old could do one tumbling pass. For the 2009 Nationals our state had around ten sub-beginners between the ages of 3-5 compete:eek:.

Actually, sub-beginners can compete at USTA Nationals now. It is a recent change within the past few years. I don't know that I would travel 10-20 hours so my 3 or 4 year old could do one tumbling pass. For the 2009 Nationals our state had around ten sub-beginners between the ages of 3-5 compete:eek:.

Aww. That's sweet. I like that they're giving families the option. Back in the day, I had a couple girls who petitioned to be over 6 subbeginners because of disabilities, & they were very sad about the lack of nationals.

Usag usta

My daughter has been on a USAG tumbling/ trampoline team for 4 years now but we have moved and we are trying to find a gym closer to our home. The closest gym is USTA sanctioned. Besides USTA being 'cheaper' are their any other pros and cons about switching? Are the USTA Nationals also part of the Jr. Olympics as in USAG? Thanks!

USTA / USAG Nationals

USTA Nationals are not part of USAG J.O. although I understand many of the athletes participating in the USAG J.O. Nationals also compete in USTA. If your daughter is in the upper levels and looking to go elite and has her sights on things like Olympic competition, then USAG is the way to go since USAG organizes the team. I guess it depends on where you live and what is available - where will she get the best training?

My daughter has been on a USAG tumbling/ trampoline team for 4 years now but we have moved and we are trying to find a gym closer to our home. The closest gym is USTA sanctioned. Besides USTA being 'cheaper' are their any other pros and cons about switching? Are the USTA Nationals also part of the Jr. Olympics as in USAG? Thanks!

USTA is all optional routines--so, like, the USAG level 7? It'd be Subadvanced. I believe the L8 compulsory would be Advanced (this is trampoline). Double mini you get three passes instead of 2, & tumbling you get a 5 skill and an 8 skill in most levels (rather than the 8 skill passes that predominate in USAG).

Making nationals is 'easier' depending on the level and age, which is nice....instead of being a qualifying score, it's top 10 or 33% at state, whichever is bigger (this may have changed but it doesn't seem likely).

There are mandates to the next level in USTA, while there aren't in USAG. So if you get in the top whatever percent or do a skill that's too hard for your level, you get kicked up to the next one (or the first one where that skill is allowed). Some people love this, some hate it, depending on philosophy.

USTA (used to, at least) partners with AAU, & USTA athletes can go to AAU Junior Olympics. You get a leo with your state's name on it and everything.

USTA athletes are not considered for world teams to my knowledge, which for some athletes is a drawback. Several years ago, the only athletes who got open warm up and a training day at nationals were Advanced & Elite athletes (as opposed to everyone at USAG nationals/beginning of their sessions), but I'd not be surprised if this has changed since I retired.

The coaches, in my experience (coaching & competing), are friendly in both associations.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back