WAG Different areas and scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Momma Bear

Proud Parent
The thread about level 4 mobility scores got me thinking, are there really big differences scoring wise between different states/areas? If so, which states/areas tend to score high and which tend to give out lower scores? I can think of two states that our girls like going to because they seem to get really high scores there! I thought maybe it was just a coincidence but that thread made it seem like there are some areas that are pretty tough scoring wise and others that are a lot easier.

I can’t say, even after living in three gymnastics states. I guess when we moved from SoCal to NorCal my DDs scores dropped across the board while her placements stayed the same, so that would lead me to think scoring is higher in SoCal than NorCal. This was backed up by her having her highest scoring meet of our NorCal time in SoCal. Now that we’ve moved to VA her scores have shot way up- but so have her placements. So that may be a function of her simply being better prepared. Her coaches here swear (and tell her often) that scoring is harder here, but that’s not something we’ve seen anecdotally as of yet... but like I said, she’s a different gymnast now so it’s not a direct comparison imo. I know that I’ve seen/heard about scores from other states that don’t seem to really line up with the scores given, but I’m not sure if that’s the individual meets or micro areas, or the states in general.

I grew up competing in Pennsylvania and it was sort of well regarded fact that if you went south into Maryland your scores would go down a few tenths. I know a judge from Maryland and she sort of prides herself on the fact that Maryland is known as a tough judging state.
I think NorCal is another area that's known as a having tougher scoring. I once talked to a parent of a D1 NCAA athlete who told me her daughter's NCAA coaches tried to avoid meets in NorCal because they always scored lower and it could bring down their average score.

It’s so hard to tell. My dd has always scored better in state than out of state, last year it varied so widely it was up to two points in her AA for similar routines.

It can even vary meet to meet. Around here the meets that take excellent care of their judges (plenty of food, decent breaks between sessions, etc) tend to be the highest scoring meets. :D

Many will say yes. And in reality no because scores are relative. The top kids are the top kids no matter the score. The bottom kids still the bottom. Middle of the pack still middle.

The gymmies best event and weakest won’t change.

Many will say yes. And in reality no because scores are relative. The top kids are the top kids no matter the score. The bottom kids still the bottom. Middle of the pack still middle.

The gymmies best event and weakest won’t change.

True, but it makes a difference when talking about score out numbers, or when someone says it's the norm for kids to hit 38s in meets- that would be crazy high here, but might be more common elsewhere. Just interesting to know the differences.

It’s so hard to tell. My dd has always scored better in state than out of state, last year it varied so widely it was up to two points in her AA for similar routines.

It can even vary meet to meet. Around here the meets that take excellent care of their judges (plenty of food, decent breaks between sessions, etc) tend to be the highest scoring meets. :D

I think I’d be happier if I were well fed also!!

I grew up competing in Pennsylvania and it was sort of well regarded fact that if you went south into Maryland your scores would go down a few tenths. I know a judge from Maryland and she sort of prides herself on the fact that Maryland is known as a tough judging state.
I think NorCal is another area that's known as a having tougher scoring. I once talked to a parent of a D1 NCAA athlete who told me her daughter's NCAA coaches tried to avoid meets in NorCal because they always scored lower and it could bring down their average score.

That’s funny. We live in Md and PA is one of the States our girls love to go for meets! I think it boosts their egos a little bit.

As far as Virginia, if you look at the top 100 for level 3 last year, 5 of the top 10 occurred at the Virginia state meet so.....

Another thing I wonder about. Some meets are known to by high scoring, compared to others. There is one really large meet in Ohio that’s known for huge scores. So, my question is, do they use the same judges every year? Do they just know to score that meet easier? I’m just curious.

As far as Virginia, if you look at the top 100 for level 3 last year, 5 of the top 10 occurred at the Virginia state meet so.....
Right, that’s where I get confused. It seems like they score higher.. and my DDs AA score went up by almost 4 points from last time she competed, but she also went from last place on nearly everything to top 3 on a couple of events. I don’t think it’s totally cut and dried.

Another thing I wonder about. Some meets are known to by high scoring, compared to others. There is one really large meet in Ohio that’s known for huge scores. So, my question is, do they use the same judges every year? Do they just know to score that meet easier? I’m just curious.
They could very well be using the same judges every year... Treat your judges well and they will be more than willing to keep coming back ;)

Right, that’s where I get confused. It seems like they score higher.. and my DDs AA score went up by almost 4 points from last time she competed, but she also went from last place on nearly everything to top 3 on a couple of events. I don’t think it’s totally cut and dried.

Definitely not totally cut and dried!

We go to one invitational that consistently has exceptionally high scores every year. It's our first meet of the year too, so the parents and kids see these 9.7+ scores and think it's going to be the norm for the rest of the season which is rarely the case. It's fun for the kids to get the big scores, and they are big across the board so places work out fine, but it is strange. I'm not sure if it's just sort of an unwritten rule at this point that the judges should be a little more generous at this particular meet or what the deal is.

We go to one invitational that consistently has exceptionally high scores every year. It's our first meet of the year too, so the parents and kids see these 9.7+ scores and think it's going to be the norm for the rest of the season which is rarely the case. It's fun for the kids to get the big scores, and they are big across the board so places work out fine, but it is strange. I'm not sure if it's just sort of an unwritten rule at this point that the judges should be a little more generous at this particular meet or what the deal is.

Thankfully, ours is the meet before state...lol!

Well, when my daughter went out of state she tended to score higher. Also, I think there are easier scoring places, as I have watched "She scored a 10.00" videos on YouTube and even the untrained eye can see the errors, yet the score was a 10.00. In particular, some Texas videos I've watched tend to have higher scores than they would get around here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back