WAG different countries - different training styles - good topic for master thesis?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Malaika

Coach
What about doing a comparison of different training styles of gymnastics for a master thesis?

I would cover 3-4 countries (USA, China, Romania and maybe a fourth) and compare different of gymnastics training, for example:

- what age do children start
- why do they start
- how is training structured and all those general things

and then cover some specific skills and how they are thaught. Maybe just the basics, like handsprings, tucks or handstand presses. How do they learn it etc.

The idea is by no means developed yet it just popped into my head and now I am really excited and thought I could ask you what you think about it.

Of course, I would need to travel to China and Romania, live there for some weeks, maybe I get the chance of training with them and talk to coaches, gymnasts and parents. Would be really cool.

What do you think?

You can find some videos of Russia, China, and a lot of Great Britain's compulsory exercises on Youtube. This gives a good idea on what they look for and focus with their athletes.

You can find some videos of Russia, China, and a lot of Great Britain's compulsory exercises on Youtube. This gives a good idea on what they look for and focus with their athletes.

Yes, I know. I love those a lot and watch them all the time, because I find this so interesting. That's why I thought about using this as a topic for my thesis!

What is your field? And what would your research question be? Do you have a hypothesis you'd like to test? I could imagine something involving the use of compulsory routines. Think a little about what you want to understand through your comparison -- a great thesis would do more than just observing the differences in the training regimes.

I would love to see the end result of this research. As I coach, I always want to incorporate the best parts of each country to try to make well rounded gymnast. Imagine being able to coach an athlete with Russia's posture, China's form and control, and the US's power and strength

@profmom As I said before, I haven't thought about in more in depth, I still have some time left, just wanted an opinion of you guys.

There are many things I am interested in, but there is plenty of info of those things already. And I haven't found something like I want to do now!

I would also not only cover HOW the train differently but also all of the other fields like maik intention to do so, how much they train, how many of the kids like it and all of that.

And @titanic I love this:

Russia's Posture, China's form and America's power - a research of gymnastics training styles and how it affects performance

It's a great topic! Just be sure to narrow it down so you don't end up writing a dissertation. :)

I'd be interested in how countries produce elite athletes- the USA, for example, have a one size fits all JO system so everyone works the same path and can ultimately qualify elite. The UK selects only a few exceptional under 7's, and trains them completely differently to your average club gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back