WAG Different Forms of Competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rockyrose

Gymnast
What are the differences between the competitive artistic gymnastics programs in the US? I get the impression JO is typically seen as the way to go if you want to get far, while Excel is for older beginners? I'm just totally confused and feel I have the wrong impressions

Rockyrose, the jo program levels has just changed. We are awaiting the new changes to Xcel. The last few years, it used to be called prep op, then last year Xcel. Everyone in each region had their own guidelines. Now, Xcel will be nationalized. Im sure diff gyms will use the two diff programs differently, some may interexchange the two programs. Jo is a more intense program requiring lots of dedication, whereas Xcel is supposed to be less intense and more flexible.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

AAU is another program with levels. I think its a cross between Xcel and the Jo program. Actually, Jo and Xcel is the official USAG guidelines for USA and intetnational competitions. TAAF is Texas Amatuer Athelic Federation. Hence, if a child wants to go to the Olympics, they would have to do a USAG program and competitions.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Thanks, the different regions was what confused me I think. Is there any idea when the new rules will be released?

Thanks, the different regions was what confused me I think. Is there any idea when the new rules will be released?
Well, I know the new JO information has already been sent out to the gyms. And according to the usagym website, they are still working on XCel rules but guidelines will be presented at Regional Conferences going on this summer. Region 8's conference is this weekend.

My gym also competes usaigc which is focused on getting gymnasts to college gymnastics. There is also much less of a time commitment than usag. The levels are also different, allowing the gymnast and coach to decide when to change levels (as long as the gymnast has the skills) and if a gymnast say doesn't have giants, but wants to move up to silver, she can compete two clear hip circles instead

Sent from my iPod touch using ChalkBucket mobile app :)

To be honest, a gymnast intent on becoming an elite will probably never even use the JO system but to test out of. I have a known of handful of coaches who were work in and develop the JO system state this as a matter of fact. It's not a system to develop Elites.

But it is something of a system that allows to develop gymnasts and let them compete. Most parents in america want their kid competing to have fun and get medals if they are training in a sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back