WAG Different regions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Does anyone know why they don’t just standardize the regions in terms of what levels are terminal at what meet (states, regionals) and what the minimum qualifications are for those meets? Some regions start regionals at L6, some at L8. Some have really low qualifying scores and some have high. In some regions Xcel is included in regionals and in some it’s not. Why not just make it all even?

ETA: I know part of it is number of gymnasts and part is difference in scoring, but really the simplicity and straightforwardness of it all would be amazing. Then again, I know most people don’t move as often as us! Ha!

Last edited:
Do you really want USAG controlling MORE than they currently do? It is mostly about letting states and Regions having control over what happens within them(at least all meets that don't have an additional meet beyond them), they know what is best(or at least better than the national office) for their local athletes.

Part of it is that until Level 9 and 10, it doesnt matter. Since Regionals is the "terminal" meet for the season for L8 and below, each region can make their own rules. It is just like states can make their own rules about what levels go to State and what the requirements for competing state are.
Offering Regionals to Level 6 could be cost prohibitive in some regions, but in smaller regions, they may need the L6 girls to justify holding a 2-3 day event.
Same with Xcel... For some regions, it is worth it to offer Regionals... some from Bronze up and others from Silver up. For other regions, they have decided it is not orth it to have Xcel Regionals (or to just have a Regional Invitational).

Do you really want USAG controlling MORE than they currently do? It is mostly about letting states and Regions having control over what happens within them(at least all meets that don't have an additional meet beyond them), they know what is best(or at least better than the national office) for their local athletes.
As long as they’re the national body, then yes. I like things to be even across the country.

Part of it is that until Level 9 and 10, it doesnt matter. Since Regionals is the "terminal" meet for the season for L8 and below, each region can make their own rules. It is just like states can make their own rules about what levels go to State and what the requirements for competing state are.
Offering Regionals to Level 6 could be cost prohibitive in some regions, but in smaller regions, they may need the L6 girls to justify holding a 2-3 day event.
Same with Xcel... For some regions, it is worth it to offer Regionals... some from Bronze up and others from Silver up. For other regions, they have decided it is not orth it to have Xcel Regionals (or to just have a Regional Invitational).
I completely understand that it’s all about the money and fairly pointless to have anything above states (or even states themselves) before L9, and I’d be totally ok if they just stopped doing all of that, but if they’re gonna do it then yes, I wish it were the same everywhere.

I completely understand that it’s all about the money and fairly pointless to have anything above states (or even states themselves) before L9, and I’d be totally ok if they just stopped doing all of that, but if they’re gonna do it then yes, I wish it were the same everywhere.

I actually think it is nice to have regional meets for level 7/8 at least. They didn't have it for 6 when DD did it, but she did go to regionals for 7 and 8. I think that it was a fun experience, and it helped to prepare her for L9 regionals (which DOES count!). In fact, she went in very relaxed and excited because she had such great experiences at regionals as a 7/8. I can see how intimidating a 9/10 regionals would be if you had never done one as lower level optional. :) Plus, they are great fun and a wonderful way to reward the hard work of making it to that level.

I actually think it is nice to have regional meets for level 7/8 at least. They didn't have it for 6 when DD did it, but she did go to regionals for 7 and 8. I think that it was a fun experience, and it helped to prepare her for L9 regionals (which DOES count!). In fact, she went in very relaxed and excited because she had such great experiences at regionals as a 7/8. I can see how intimidating a 9/10 regionals would be if you had never done one as lower level optional. :) Plus, they are great fun and a wonderful way to reward the hard work of making it to that level.
In the same way that I could do without them, I am also happy to have them around- at any level. I just wish my DD weren’t always chasing things she already had. When we were in R1 (at L6) they started regionals at L7. This year we move- to a region that starts them at L8- and R1 added them for L6.. she’s now a L7. It’s just a bit frustrating from our perspective. She’s gonna push for L8, but it put the whole thing in my mind.

In the same way that I could do without them, I am also happy to have them around- at any level. I just wish my DD weren’t always chasing things she already had. When we were in R1 (at L6) they started regionals at L7. This year we move- to a region that starts them at L8- and R1 added them for L6.. she’s now a L7. It’s just a bit frustrating from our perspective. She’s gonna push for L8, but it put the whole thing in my mind.
I was a little shocked when region 1 added level 6 to Regionals, as they are not usually among the first to add levels to state and regional meets. I think level 7 was only added 5 years ago.

I don't think its pointless. I watched Level 8 and 7 regionals today for Region 8. It was very exciting having the best of each state competing together. That was some amazing gymnastics! And the state teams compete against each other and it is so exciting. For instance, GA's level 7 team won tonight--that almost never happens!! Especially when NC is there--they have some amazing gyms! Now these gymnasts, who are the best of the best from each state get to compete to see who is the best of the best of the best. They get a long-sleeved uniform, warm-ups, etc. It's a big deal. And the get to be teammates with gymnasts they usually compete against. Plus bragging rights.

I was a little shocked when region 1 added level 6 to Regionals, as they are not usually among the first to add levels to state and regional meets. I think level 7 was only added 5 years ago.
Region 8 added level 7 about 10 years ago, and I think they added Level 6 the year after they made it an optional level. It's fun, if nothing else.

my athlete actually got the very first medal ever awarded at level 7 regionals years back. She was JR A and won vault and they called 1st place up first. kind of cool. Anyways, it's a money maker and a good experience for the kids.

I totally get what you're saying, MIL. It stinks for a kid who placed well at level 7 states have their season end while watching girls from a neighboring state get to go on to Regionals. Even if it is just a money maker/bragging rights, it's still exciting for the girls and if it's an opportunity offered to some groups of kids, it should be offered to all. Currently I think it's only Regions 2 & 7 that don't have a level 7 Regional meet which just plain stinks for kids in those regions. Region 2 is somewhat understandable due to travel and expense, but Region 7 hosts level 8 regionals by itself, adding level 7 shouldn't be that big of a deal. I get that they would need to have a 2nd gym running which would increase costs and probably limit what gyms could host, but there are so many clubs and athletes in the region it's totally doable. And I think would ultimately be a big money maker for the gym/region.
I do know Region 7 is pretty opposed to the idea of an official Xcel Regional (currently there is a Regional Xcel Invitational), so I'm not sure if the feelings are the same towards Regional meets for levels 6/7.

I totally get what you're saying, MIL. It stinks for a kid who placed well at level 7 states have their season end while watching girls from a neighboring state get to go on to Regionals. Even if it is just a money maker/bragging rights, it's still exciting for the girls and if it's an opportunity offered to some groups of kids, it should be offered to all. Currently I think it's only Regions 2 & 7 that don't have a level 7 Regional meet which just plain stinks for kids in those regions. Region 2 is somewhat understandable due to travel and expense, but Region 7 hosts level 8 regionals by itself, adding level 7 shouldn't be that big of a deal. I get that they would need to have a 2nd gym running which would increase costs and probably limit what gyms could host, but there are so many clubs and athletes in the region it's totally doable. And I think would ultimately be a big money maker for the gym/region.
I do know Region 7 is pretty opposed to the idea of an official Xcel Regional (currently there is a Regional Xcel Invitational), so I'm not sure if the feelings are the same towards Regional meets for levels 6/7.
Thank you! You completely understand me!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back