WAG Different teams/ groups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pamred4

Coach
Gymnast
Ok so I am always on here and I hear things about tops and excel etc. I understand that tops is for the kids that people think are going places (is this correct) what is excel and how does it fit into the USAG system? Also what is rec? In Australia we don't really have anything like this... You either compete or don't! Thanks so much in advance! Any information on this topic would be appreciated! Xx

Excel or Xcel or Prep-Op are all names for basically a different stream. There are 5 divisions of Xcel as opposed to 10 Levels in JO (Junior Olympics). All 5 divisions compete only Optional routines. JO levels 1-5 have compulsory routines and required music (though now, a gym can choose one of 3 music choices at each level - the difference being the main instrument). JO Levels 6-10 are Optional Levels, and they get harder as you move up the levels. The only thing above Level 10 is Elite.
In Xcel, each gymnast can have an individual routine with their own music. At the Bronze level, some gyms like to stick with just 1 or 2 music choices and everyone does the same basic routine (or a routine with a "formula"). At Silver, the skills are a little harder. Some gyms still give limited options for music and routines... but others allow the girls to pick individual music and have completely original routines. Gold is even harder - It is about the equivalent of L3 on the easy end to L7 on the hard end. Then there is Platinum. The gymnast is REQUIRED to have at least one B skill on each event, so it is roughly L5/6 on the easy end to L8 on the hard end. The final division is Diamond. It is the hardest division. IT requires 5 A skills and 2 B skills on each event. It is roughly equivalent to L7 on the easy end and L9/10 on the hard end (but a MINIMAL L10).
Xcel is considered an easier competitive option for gymnasts who want to compete, but do not want the intense training of JO.

Thank-you so much everything makes so much sense now! The only thing I still have questions about is rec? How does it fit into all of this? Thanks again for that great answer

Rec = Recreation (colours, steps, stages, whatever your gym calls the kids who come once a week for 1-2 hours)

Excel = State Stream/ Prep

JO = NDP

Tops = IDP

Rec is typically how kids get started in gym. The go to a recreational class for fun and once the the coaches look at things like their flexibility, strength, behavior to identify kids that would be a good fit for the rigors of a competitive track, either JO or Excel.

Ok thanks for clearig that up! In Australia we have our teams and our rec (everyone calls it something different) and then we have kinder gym which is for children 5 and under! I can now safely say that most of the posts I read I now can fully understand! Thanks so much Xx

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back