WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In contingency cases, the lawyer gets a very large portion of the award settlement. Depending on what was initially negotiated upon retaining the attorney, it is common for attorneys to ask 40-50% of the award settlement. Some use a sliding scale; the attorney gets 20% if case is settled within a few months; goes to 30% after discovery and if it goes to trial, they've been known to ask 60%. That said, Gloria Allred has a strong history of advocating (and representing) for women's rights. Additionally, she has attained a high level of financial success so monetary gain may likely not be the motivator. She is also alleged to have been raped at gunpoint but did not report the incident. Maroney is still very young and potentially was still afraid of the repercussions of coming forward; hence the settlement. Nonetheless, Maroney coming forward with her abuse now, albeit difficult, may be a step in the right direction for her so that she can start healing.

Thank you for writing this. Allred has long been a champion of women's rights, and clients like Maroney need her support and experience.

I just read several of the posts here. And I have to agree with Bog. The whole thing makes me sick too.

In the room, not in the room, at the ranch, not at the ranch. In the end it doesn't matter. He was a sick sick person and now he will pay for the crimes. As for all the victims. I pray that one day they can find peace.

It is appalling. The whole thing makes me sick.

My heart absolutely breaks for McKayla. For all the victims, of course, but if you’ve followed her on social media over the years, you can just tell how much this affected her. Some of her YouTube vids were just so painful to watch and my heart goes out to her. I hope she has found a good therapist and is starting to heal.

My heart absolutely breaks for McKayla. For all the victims, of course, but if you’ve followed her on social media over the years, you can just tell how much this affected her. Some of her YouTube vids were just so painful to watch and my heart goes out to her. I hope she has found a good therapist and is starting to heal.

Yes! This explains so much about her behavior, especially on social media

In contingency cases, the lawyer gets a very large portion of the award settlement. Depending on what was initially negotiated upon retaining the attorney, it is common for attorneys to ask 40-50% of the award settlement. Some use a sliding scale; the attorney gets 20% if case is settled within a few months; goes to 30% after discovery and if it goes to trial, they've been known to ask 60%. That said, Gloria Allred has a strong history of advocating (and representing) for women's rights. Additionally, she has attained a high level of financial success so monetary gain may likely not be the motivator. She is also alleged to have been raped at gunpoint but did not report the incident. Maroney is still very young and potentially was still afraid of the repercussions of coming forward; hence the settlement. Nonetheless, Maroney coming forward with her abuse now, albeit difficult, may be a step in the right direction for her so that she can start healing.

If she is such a champion of women’s rights, why would she help negotiate an NDA covering up sexual abuse of a young girl? There’s no way as an attorney I’d agree to have any part of that.

If she is such a champion of women’s rights, why would she help negotiate an NDA covering up sexual abuse of a young girl? There’s no way as an attorney I’d agree to have any part of that.

Attorneys are their clients' representatives, even when they take cases in the hope of creating some kind of public impact. I've since learned a little more about this case, and it looks like Maroney and USAG went through a formal mediation process with a professional mediator. If an attorney cannot represent her client's interests and take direction from her client, she cannot function effectively. And if an attorney refuses to maintain confidentiality regarding something that the client has asked her to keep confidential, she risks sanction or disbarment. It's fine for people to have opinions about the political stances of attorneys and the clients they represent, and I understand that opinions about Allred may differ. But criticizing attorneys for doing what they are bound to do by the rules and norms of the profession is just silly.

You also seem to be arguing that victims of sexual abuse should have absolutely no agency in when, how, and in what forum they choose to divulge their victimization. This goes completely against what both psychological and feminist legal experts have shown through empirical studies to be in the victims' best interest for managing their healing processes.

Exactly as profmom states above and I cannot "like" it enough! An attorney cannot act alone and against his/her client. An attorney can advise their client on legal matters and allows the client to make the important decisions. Whether an attorney agrees with the decision of his/her client, is irrelevant and should not have a bearing on the outcome of the case. Unless it is public record, there is no way of knowing how the settlement was reached unless you have inside and personal information or was present during the settlement. So it is ridiculous to assume or accuse someone of being instrumental in covering up the sexual abuse of a young girl. I don't know Allred and I don't even know if I like or admire her. I am merely stating facts.

Based on what he has said he CAN'T say, I am sure he understands well where the line is and is taking care not to cross it.

I think it is also hard to understand what it's like to be in the center of a lawsuit if you've never experienced it. The adversarial system requires the production of a narrative either of blame or denial of blame and induces the refinement and strengthening of that narrative over the course of litigation. Because you are literally fighting with the other side, you have no incentive, even if you're just observing and not participating in the construction of the narrative, to use the information revealed to update your own narrative in ways that undermine it. Rather, you assimilate the new information you receive only in ways that reinforce your own narrative.

spot on. :)

Attorneys are their clients' representatives, even when they take cases in the hope of creating some kind of public impact. I've since learned a little more about this case, and it looks like Maroney and USAG went through a formal mediation process with a professional mediator. If an attorney cannot represent her client's interests and take direction from her client, she cannot function effectively. And if an attorney refuses to maintain confidentiality regarding something that the client has asked her to keep confidential, she risks sanction or disbarment. It's fine for people to have opinions about the political stances of attorneys and the clients they represent, and I understand that opinions about Allred may differ. But criticizing attorneys for doing what they are bound to do by the rules and norms of the profession is just silly.

You also seem to be arguing that victims of sexual abuse should have absolutely no agency in when, how, and in what forum they choose to divulge their victimization. This goes completely against what both psychological and feminist legal experts have shown through empirical studies to be in the victims' best interest for managing their healing processes.

i'm still thinking ARDC. makes me want to take a shower.

My only comment in regards to your post, Strawberries, is that Dunno often speaks as if he speaks for USAG and that he is affiliated in a greater way that he actually is, and I don't like the misrepresentation. His assertions don't mean that everyone one of his comments are accurate and backed up by fact in this case. It doesn't mean that he is someone who speaks for USAG in any official capacity despite positioning himself that way. It is that characterization (which he won't deny or confirm) in combination with his absolute denials of things that I know through personal connection to be absolutely true, that is extremely irritating.

All other arguments about MSU and USAG and the gym culture, and who was fooled, and to what degree all parties have failed the girls from an ethical standpoint are open for discussion. I agree that only person who did what Nassar did, is Nassar himself. Yes, Dunno and others have "sided" with the kids in many regards on other topics. I personally feel he and others are being highly dismissive of the many ways which USAG and USAG member clubs dropped the ball, as he seems to want to pin it all on MSU. That's all.

and i would like to politely point out that the federal judge believes that the onus of all that has happened will fall on MSU. i've previously stated why this is.

Reactions: sce
Does anyone know the exact date when Nassar's criminal (state crime) sentencing is set? All I've seen is it is suppose to take place mid to late Jan.

Dang it. Maggie Nichols. :( I had a feeling it was unlikely she escaped him. So heartbroken all over again. :(

Reactions: sce
Maggie can be proud that she questioned his behavior talked about it with Aly and told her coach.

I do wonder about the '04 and '08 national teams. There must be so many more victims. It's so very sad.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back