WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know that what Shannon Smith said is highly offensive and upsetting, but do please keep in mind that the US legal system is adversarial in its nature. It is not a system in which counsel are working together to find a unified truth. Her job is to defend her client zealously to the best of her abilities within the rules of the system. No matter what a person is accused of having done, that person is entitled to principled, committed advocacy.

When a lawyer spends a long time on a complex case with a client, working her/his best to represent that client zealously, it's quite common for that lawyer to become personally and emotionally invested in the client's side and story. That's part of what can make a lawyer a really good advocate.

I have nothing but respect for people who choose to take on the difficult work of ensuring that individuals accused of shocking, offensive, and terrible things have their constitutional rights.

I am not sure this is the most effective way for her to advocate for her client. Given the weight of the evidence against him, the massive public disgust, and the fact that he's chosen to plead guilty (however grudgingly), her client would probably have a better outcome if she advised him to show some remorse and get the sentencing over with quietly without sending any more letters to judges. Sure, discrediting the alleged victim is a common defense tactic in sexual assault cases, but this is not exactly an ordinary case.

Oh, I am very sure that no lawyer had eyes on that letter he sent, or if they did, they told him not to send it. Her comment took place in a radio interview. This case is also somewhat unusual because there's no doubt in anyone's mind that he'll be sentenced to the maximum allowed under the plea deal. Nothing he does or says in the courtroom will change that. You'll notice that his legal team agreed after her comments that it was not in his best interests for her to be there in court visibly with him.

I understand it’s her job. But when she confirmed that she would not be representing him in any future appeals, isn’t her job of defending him considered done? Why defend him after the trial is over and the sentence given if you have no plans to continue as his lawyer? Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think she would still have a legal duty to publicly defend him to the media. That was a voluntary interview, she could have simply refused to speak to ESPN.

The most shocking part about her comments was when she said she sees him as “a really great guy.” If they all felt he was innocent in the state cases why did he plead? Surely he knew he had little chance of ever getting out of prison either way.

I understand it’s her job to defend him and someone has to defend his as is his right and I certainly think the death threats and hate mail she has been receiving are not acceptable.
However he decided to plead guilty and this wasn’t something she said in court but in a radio interview which she didn’t have to do.

Oh, I am very sure that no lawyer had eyes on that letter he sent, or if they did, they told him not to send it. Her comment took place in a radio interview. This case is also somewhat unusual because there's no doubt in anyone's mind that he'll be sentenced to the maximum allowed under the plea deal. Nothing he does or says in the courtroom will change that. You'll notice that his legal team agreed after her comments that it was not in his best interests for her to be there in court visibly with him.

Yes, I am also certain that if his legal team saw that letter they advised him not to send it. They do not seem to have good client control.

The comments were in an interview, but media strategy is part of the representation and she is really not doing her client any favors.

I have no idea why she gave that statement. But I do think some of the defense lawyers have faced some unfair criticism. Because if anyone accused of a crime doesn't have adequate defense, it can affect the outcome of a trial too or leave the door open for future appeals or mistrial claims which none of us want either. Defense attorneys are therefore playing their role in the justice system as well. But based on that statement I have to assume that particular lawyer was manipulated by Nassar as well. Which is scary but not entirely hard to believe.

Ah yes I see . Who knows , could be she believes him or that she is instructed to defend him even after for marketing reasons. Hard to say . Or she is just stupid

I have respect for the difficult job defense attorneys have. My brother is an attorney, his firm's chief litigator. He occasionally is asked to take certain cases by the judge. He has represented some people that have been accused of horrific crimes (none of national interest, but big deals in his community). His practice does not focus on criminal defense, but it is something he does from time to time.

The interview in question was not part of defending Larry Nassar. I think it was a marketing strategy for new client acquisition. Comments like hers are the reason so many victims do not come forward.

Valeri resigned stating "the present climate causes me , and more importantly my family, far to much stress, difficulty and uncertainty"....I'm thinking the legions of kids at WOGA subject to his tactics were caused "stress, difficulty and uncertainty" by his behaviors.

Good riddance and let's get a person in charge who doesn't have the beat 'em up, starve 'em , train 'em to death mentality going forward. Hello Aimee Boorman!!

Valeri resigned stating "the present climate causes me , and more importantly my family, far to much stress, difficulty and uncertainty"....I'm thinking the legions of kids at WOGA subject to his tactics were caused "stress, difficulty and uncertainty" by his behaviors.
!

WOW.

Good riddance and let's get a person in charge who doesn't have the beat 'em up, starve 'em , train 'em to death mentality going forward. Hello Aimee Boorman!!

Sam Peszek has reported that she and her mother have been getting death and rape threats. Valeri and Nastia (and by connection Anna) are far more high profile targets. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what he was actually referring to, but without more context it comes off as extremely tone deaf and insensitive. I would like to see the full statement.

If I had to place a wager on why he resigned I would pick: He was asked to leave and was told he could go on his own terms.

Added: After more posts have come in. Death threats are not better than the behavior of Nassar or the abusive coach themselves. Two wrongs do not make it right.

I am torn on what is happening to the elite girls at this time. Part of me thinks the USA team coaches get too much credit, all the girls that make elite obviously have incredible club coaches that coached them to this level and gave them the foundations they have to perform at their current Elite level.

The other part is sad that the large meets used to showcase that talent may be gone this year.

What did I miss? Why would anyone threaten her and her mother? Because her mother worked for usag? Have all the employees been getting death threats? That’s obviously not ok. I’m just missing the why her..

Presumably because of her mother's role at USAG, and the fact Sam herself has remained high profile reminding people of Luan's role. The IndyStar article: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ls-threats-wake-larry-nassar-case/1060887001/

ETA: Sam's original post, so I have the primary source

What did I miss? Why would anyone threaten her and her mother? Because her mother worked for usag? Have all the employees been getting death threats? That’s obviously not ok. I’m just missing the why her..

Luan Peszek is an admin at USAG

Reactions: sce
I think I also heard that tickets were supposed to be on sale for the Hopes Classic today and the venue said the event has been cancelled until further notice?

Reactions: sce
I am torn on what is happening to the elite girls at this time. Part of me thinks the USA team coaches get too much credit, all the girls that make elite obviously have incredible club coaches that coached them to this level and gave them the foundations they have to perform at their current Elite level.

The other part is sad that the large meets used to showcase that talent may be gone this year.

I too feel bad for the current crop of girls training elite but keeping an obviously dysfunctional regime in place , after all that has happened with the sexual abuse and physical/mental abuse that allowed these behaviors to continue for decades , was not the answer either. I think USAG hoped it would all go away with the incarceration of Larry but it virtually opened the floodgates where gymnasts felt empowered to speak up...AND I think folks started to relook at the prior verbal and physical abuse complaints that were ignored in the past and the perpetrators of those vile behaviors needed to go as well.

I get that you need to have a regimented , strict program to succeed but Simone seems to have been coached without the verbal and physical attacks by her coaches....and she was successful so punitive methods aren't the only way...and that's where USAG needs to be headed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back