WAG Div I NCAA Walk-On Offer Info

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter received an offer to walk on to a NCAA Div I team in 2017. She is interested in the school but wants to continue to explore other schools. A major concern with this school is that is about $45,000 grand per year so the amount of debt she will have upon graduation really scares her! She knows that she could possibly get a scholarship after a year of being a walk-on but she also knows she may never get one as a walk-on. Does anyone know how these offers work? Does she have to formerly accept or reject the offer? Or can she consider this available to her if she wants it in 2017 and continue to look for a scholarship offer? Is like a verbal offer that she should accept knowing that both parties can change their mind at a later day. If she tells the school she wants o walk-on in 2017 does that she mean she is committed? We just have so many questions pertaining to this we will be grateful for any help or experience people are willing to share. Thank you!
I can't believe my original post was almost two years ago and this thread is still going strong. Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to our knowledge and to those of you that have private messaged me and added clarification and things to think about. We have been fortunate to visit several schools and weigh the pros and cons of them and their teams. In the end I am proud to say she chose the school whose academic program and courses that made up the major most matched her interest. The Coaches and team seem like they will be a good fit too! Keep your fingers crossed that is true............and we will let you know.........we are grateful to all of you on this forum and hope this post will continue to live on to help others navigate this very tricky time and space for their gymnasts.

I just read this entire thread today for the first time. Congratulations to your daughter! I am naturally quite curious (since it took me the better part of the morning to read the entire thread!), did you end up at the original school as a walk- on, or go to a different school?

Stormy- I would love to hear how the Walk on offer worked, timeline, etc. I have had the same questions as in your original post!

Reactions: SMH
I can't believe my original post was almost two years ago and this thread is still going strong. Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed to our knowledge and to those of you that have private messaged me and added clarification and things to think about. We have been fortunate to visit several schools and weigh the pros and cons of them and their teams. In the end I am proud to say she chose the school whose academic program and courses that made up the major most matched her interest. The Coaches and team seem like they will be a good fit too! Keep your fingers crossed that is true............and we will let you know.........we are grateful to all of you on this forum and hope this post will continue to live on to help others navigate this very tricky time and space for their gymnasts.

Would also love to hear any additional details you would be willing to share!

It could be called College Gym Confidential...and you are correct, a source of badly needed information....if we had known one tenth of what we now know about the school my daughter committed to, I never would have ever let her even look at the place, never mind go there....the fact is, there was no way to route out the info back then...even when we went there, talked to people ( and make no mistake, you need to talk to people who are no longer at the school and have been through that program to get the real skinny), they all spouted the party line.....as did the other schools we visited. Sadly, after being there , we realized how truly awful these people are, and there's not much you can do then as it's tough to get them out with all the regs on transfers and such. That I didn't figure this out until too late is one of my biggest parental regrets....
Dang - I am new to this site. You have a book that can help me figure this out? :) What college should my DD avoid? :)

I just read this entire thread today for the first time. Congratulations to your daughter! I am naturally quite curious (since it took me the better part of the morning to read the entire thread!), did you end up at the original school as a walk- on, or go to a different school?

wow, good for you reading this thread in one sitting. There is a lot of information here that many kind people have shared............and many people with similar questions.......so I hope this thread lives long and helps lots of people. To answer your question she did not go with the original offer. The school was HUGE and we found out shortly after the coach was cray-cray as my daughter would say...so obviously she passed.

Stormy- I would love to hear how the Walk on offer worked, timeline, etc. I have had the same questions as in your original post![/
Basically she received offers in her Sophomore year and visited schools, coaches, and teams to see what she liked and what she didn't like. She didn't lock down academically what she wanted to study until her Junior year (it kept changing before that) so at that point she was able to compare majors and courses within majors and minors and chose the school with the curriculum that best matched her interests. Although she loved the coaches and team this school wasn't high on her list originally because she was looking at schools a lot further from home, but once the academic program fell into to place it turned out to be the perfect place. So if you are going down this road please make sure to take your time and research the heck out of the schools and coaches. And reach out to people here because they have way more experience than us and are very willing to help.
l

Basically she received offers in her Sophomore year and visited schools, coaches, and teams to see what she liked and what she didn't like. She didn't lock down academically what she wanted to study until her Junior year (it kept changing before that) so at that point she was able to compare majors and courses within majors and minors and chose the school with the curriculum that best matched her interests. Although she loved the coaches and team this school wasn't high on her list originally because she was looking at schools a lot further from home, but once the academic program fell into to place it turned out to be the perfect place. So if you are going down this road please make sure to take your time and research the heck out of the schools and coaches. And reach out to people here because they have way more experience than us and are very willing to help.

The last couple of posts point out the need for parents to get out there and educate yourselves on this whole process; both NCAA athletics in general and college gymnastics specifically.

Here is a link on the USAG website to get you started: https://usagym.org/pages/home/college/index.html

Another good website is: http://www.collegegymfans.com/index.php

College gymnastics is not completely like other college sports; you will find a timeline on that page for prospective college gymnasts. I will say that this timeline has some things (beginning to interact with colleges) probably about a year late given today's highly-competitive environment.

I will continue to stress that athletic ability is only one part of the college admissions process; an athlete still has to be academically qualified to get admitted to a college.

Good Luck.

@gymdoc , is this the post perhaps?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back