WAG Div I NCAA Walk-On Offer Info

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One other question to ask as well is :" Are there any academic majors that are incompatible with being on this gymnastics team?"

It would probably seem to be a given that they are student athletes and the coaches will work around schedules but that is definitely not the case everywhere so ask...we went to a few schools that said " we have coaches designated to work around schedules so kids with labs, clinical or student teaching still get their workouts" ...and we had other schools that flat out said " we find it tough for a nursing/education/ science major to make it all 4 years on the team so we discourage those as undergraduate majors" ...and I appreciated their honesty....

This is totally fascinating. My daughter is still pretty young but because she is most likely going level 9 this year, college is something that we have been seriously thinking about recently though it has been DD's goal for quite a few years. It occurs to me that these kids are so young when they have to start thinking about college gymnastics that they may not even have the capacity to understand what their goal is. In other words, my DD wants and has wanted college gym for so long but she honestly doesn't have any clue what it entails other than the meets on TV which are obviously a very small part of the whole experience. I was a college athlete in what I would consider to be a much less intense sport than gymnastics and I remember dealing with a lot of coaching negativity, punishment, and some dealings that were just plain unfair. I would still do it over again if given the chance because I loved the sport so much but I am finding myself unsure about whether this is something I want my daughter to experience, especially given the intensity of sports in this generation.

I think both bookworm and Meet Director should co-write the Amazon book. :)

Such a great thread! Thank you! I don't know that college gym is in DD's future, but it's great info for if/when we get to that point!

A couple more questions for bookworm if she doesn't mind. First, do you think you can glean anything from watching meets and paying attention to how athletes interact with each other and with coaches? I have impressions of some programs based on just that, but I know that's not much to go on. I'm wondering if in hind sight you feel like there were things you could have picked up on if you were looking hard enough.

Second, are there other internet forums you know of that discuss the ins and outs of different teams?

A couple more questions for bookworm if she doesn't mind. First, do you think you can glean anything from watching meets and paying attention to how athletes interact with each other and with coaches? I have impressions of some programs based on just that, but I know that's not much to go on. I'm wondering if in hind sight you feel like there were things you could have picked up on if you were looking hard enough.

Second, are there other internet forums you know of that discuss the ins and outs of different teams?

Point #1: No...girls on these teams know exactly how to behave , especially when they are being watched. They are given explicit instruction on what to say or not, especially when a recruit is in town. And in a meet setting youv will tend to see them all pull together for the sake of their team so for the most part, they appear to be cohesive units with oh so supportive coaches.

Point #2: if you know of one, please let ME know....I've been doing all this sleuthing on my own for a while now ;)

Stormy - No, there is nothing wrong with a walk-on offer; just realize what it is and when these "offers" are normally put into place and what they really bring with them. In other words, eyes wide open. As I said, a walk-on athlete gets no athletic-based financial aid; so, yes a walk-on athlete will be responsible for footing their own cost of attending the school. This can, of course, be offset by other merit or need-based aid of any kind.

The key in this whole college athletic recruiting business (yes, it is a business) is to do your homework. Parents need to understand the NCAA rules (USAG has a spot that is a good starting point); parents and athletes need to understand what they are really looking for and what would make or break a decision. For example, when you visit a school and see the training facilities does it feel like someplace you could train or is it someplace that you would dread training every day (we saw both in our visits)? You need to understand the mindset of a college coach; it is not the same as a club coach and that could result in a less than desirable environment. Information is key to getting through this and you have to start early; you can't pull all of this together at the last minute.
Good insight. Can you elaborate on the different mindsets?

I have first-hand experience with this process. An "offer" to walk-on to a team received prior to the spring of her senior year is, for all intents and purposes, useless. I am being blunt here for a reason; DO NOT stop other college search activities based on this "offer". Most (if not all) D1 gymnastics teams make their walk-on offers only after they know how much room will be left on the team after the scholarship athletes accept or decline enrollment; this doesn't happen until the spring of the senior year. You also need to be aware that a walk-on athlete is responsible for paying (or securing payment outside the athletic department) 100% of the cost of attendance at that school. You also need to be aware that the ability of a walk-on athlete to secure an athletic scholarship in later years is not something that you should bank on.

My recommendation is that she find a school that she really wants to attend because they have the academic environment and program that she can thrive in; if they have gymnastics that is a bonus. Remember, being an outstanding gymnast won't get a student admitted to a college; they have to meet the academic requirements first. Being a walk-on athlete can be a very costly undertaking so the school had better have the undergraduate program that she really wants before you pay the bill.

Good luck.

just to clarify. a school like Stanford doesn't care if you made 3 Olympic teams. you must go thru standard admissions like every other applicant.

if they have only walk on spots available, and you are an outstanding gymnast AND you meet Prop 16/48 NCAA Clearing House standards or meet the admission requirements that might be slightly higher (there are alot of variables and differences amongst all schools but the NCAA Clearing House is the minimum standard) being an outstanding gymnast WILL get you admitted. the coaches go out of their way to push admission thru the athletic department and such if they are motivated enough to want the athlete. sometimes the coach walks it right in to and thru admissions.

it's very common for an athlete in gymnastics to walk on freshman year and receive "athletic scholarship" later and after she has proven and shown she can make the line up and "beat" others on her team. it has to do with their consistent personal contribution to their team.

it might be useful for you to tell us what school you're talking about and i can break it down a bit further. :)

It could be called College Gym Confidential...and you are correct, a source of badly needed information....if we had known one tenth of what we now know about the school my daughter committed to, I never would have ever let her even look at the place, never mind go there....the fact is, there was no way to route out the info back then...even when we went there, talked to people ( and make no mistake, you need to talk to people who are no longer at the school and have been through that program to get the real skinny), they all spouted the party line.....as did the other schools we visited. Sadly, after being there , we realized how truly awful these people are, and there's not much you can do then as it's tough to get them out with all the regs on transfers and such. That I didn't figure this out until too late is one of my biggest parental regrets....

very true. if the college coach will not "release" the athlete to go somewhere else you're screwed.

Good insight. Can you elaborate on the different mindsets?

It was mentioned before about the business of college athletics vs a gymnastics club business. That is what I mean: college coaches can sometimes have a different motivation and therefore run their teams in a way that is much, much different than club gymnastics.

I should have also mentioned earlier that an athlete's club coach plays a very vital role in the college recruiting process. make sure that your club coach is aware of the athlete's desire. In the early portions of the recruiting process the club coach can have much more communication with the college coach.

Regarding the $45k tuition, does the school offer merit scholarships? How are your DD's grades/test scores? I have my oldest (former gymnast not doing any sport) in a school now which does not offer merit in her program of study and I have found hat $40k is more like $42-43k when you add on major specific fees and supplies. So if your DD has a major in mind, good to consider what other expenses may lurk.

That said, other DD (gymnast) has visited a couple of schools which do offer lots for merit, especially to out of state students. I would not discard those as options, in case she ends up deciding not to do college gym. In the end, it's about the academics and future when college gym ends in a few years. Also good to ask if offered an athletic scholarship, how any merit monies might come into play towards the full package.
Those are awesome points. I always thought all schools offered some type of merit scholarships. I didn't realize some didn't and some restrict it by program. She is a good student, but not great.

Those are awesome points. I always thought all schools offered some type of merit scholarships. I didn't realize some didn't and some restrict it by program. She is a good student, but not great. I would say B average. I always look at it as though she won't get any money for academics or need because I doubt she will be eligible.

One other question to ask as well is :" Are there any academic majors that are incompatible with being on this gymnastics team?"

It would probably seem to be a given that they are student athletes and the coaches will work around schedules but that is definitely not the case everywhere so ask...we went to a few schools that said " we have coaches designated to work around schedules so kids with labs, clinical or student teaching still get their workouts" ...and we had other schools that flat out said " we find it tough for a nursing/education/ science major to make it all 4 years on the team so we discourage those as undergraduate majors" ...and I appreciated their honesty....

This is an excellent point. We have heard that some schools won't let the kids be on the gymnastics team if they are in a nursing or other very intense or demanding major.

Another question to ask and point to stress:

1. Will my daughter be getting the "cost of attendance stipend"? And if so, how much will it be? I have seen a range from $1800 at Michigan St to almost $5000 at Penn St....the Power 5 conferences ( PAC 12, ACC, SEC, Big 10 & Big 12) have adopted this for the coming season but those of you looking in other conferences such as the MAC, EAGL, Mountain Rim etc should ask because a school can elect to give it. This money is basically spending money they get in addition to their athletic grant in aid...for those of you signing ( or have signed ) NLIs , the stipend is listed right on the document.

2. I also can't stress enough making sure the major will work with the team....Stormy is correct that majors like nursing, teaching, graphics among others are discouraged at some schools because of the accommodation needed when the student starts her clinical and internship rotations. We actually know of a gymnast who had such a major and lost her scholarship because her class schedule conflicted with practices and although the coaches had promised the family they would work with her, they didn't, and she was forced to leave the team....but if you ask the school, their take would be "Susie decided to give up her scholarship because she couldn't fulfill the time commitments required"...and this was AFTER the family had received assurance that the coaches would accommodate the time constraints...she transferred to another school where the coaches are doing just that...

I guess my caveat in the academic major issue is you are more likely to get coaches to work around a major at a smaller school than a bigger one...and I would ask the coach if there have been athletes with this major on the team in the past...and call that academic dept at the college and ask if they have had any athletes in that major and did they complete the degree program....if the answer is no, then you have a problem. I would also look up rosters from years past and see what majors the girls have had...if you don't see your kid's major on there, then it is probably going to be an issue.

Another question to ask and point to stress:

1. Will my daughter be getting the "cost of attendance stipend"? And if so, how much will it be? I have seen a range from $1800 at Michigan St to almost $5000 at Penn St....the Power 5 conferences ( PAC 12, ACC, SEC, Big 10 & Big 12) have adopted this for the coming season but those of you looking in other conferences such as the MAC, EAGL, Mountain Rim etc should ask because a school can elect to give it. This money is basically spending money they get in addition to their athletic grant in aid...for those of you signing ( or have signed ) NLIs , the stipend is listed right on the document.

2. I also can't stress enough making sure the major will work with the team....Stormy is correct that majors like nursing, teaching, graphics among others are discouraged at some schools because of the accommodation needed when the student starts her clinical and internship rotations. We actually know of a gymnast who had such a major and lost her scholarship because her class schedule conflicted with practices and although the coaches had promised the family they would work with her, they didn't, and she was forced to leave the team....but if you ask the school, their take would be "Susie decided to give up her scholarship because she couldn't fulfill the time commitments required"...and this was AFTER the family had received assurance that the coaches would accommodate the time constraints...she transferred to another school where the coaches are doing just that...

I guess my caveat in the academic major issue is you are more likely to get coaches to work around a major at a smaller school than a bigger one...and I would ask the coach if there have been athletes with this major on the team in the past...and call that academic dept at the college and ask if they have had any athletes in that major and did they complete the degree program....if the answer is no, then you have a problem. I would also look up rosters from years past and see what majors the girls have had...if you don't see your kid's major on there, then it is probably going to be an issue.
More awesome info...........thanks so much.........I never realized some schools gave spending money to the athletes. If the school gives it say to gymnasts is it all gymnasts on the team get the same amount or do some girls get more than others? Is it renewable each year? Do walk-ons get it? Great suggestion about calling the school to see the success rate of other gymnasts or athletes with the same major.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back