Do I have a chance?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gymnast912

Hi, I'm new here and was wondering do I have a chance of making it to do Olympics? I started gymnastics this year and have my backhandspring and other pretty big skills. I made the competitive team and I'm level 4. But I can do most level 5 skills. I'm 11 and do I have a chance?

You always have a chance. You may need to work a bit harder and be that bit more determined, but never say never.

You also need to be 13 to use this site, so unfortunately I'm sure an admin will be along to ban you shortly.

Good luck, and hope to see you back in two years with news of how far you've progressed!

In the US, not likely. You are still at an age that if you progressed enough that I have known people who started around your age and competed in the NCAA.

If you had citizenship from another country, you might be able to compete for that country if it was a smaller country.

Probably not, gymnastics takes a lifetime to get to that level, less than .1% of gymnasts will ever make it to the Olympics.
Reality is, only 5 girls go there every 4 years, and it's even harder to medal.
Most Olympic gymnasts are already elite by the time they were your age.
Just so you know, a back hand spring is a very basic skill.

Please come back to Chalkbucket when you turn 13. You will be banned.

Yeah, no offense, but if you wanted to go to the Olympics, you would have to already be an elite. Most olympians are level 4s when they are like 5 or 6. I was a level 4 when I was 6, and I'm not even going to the Olympics.

Of course you have a chance. Having started gymnastics THIS YEAR and already at level 5 sounds like you're progressing pretty quickly. However, you are getting older and are going to hit puberty soon and are questioning whether or not you can follow your dreams, which means that you may be less determined and motivated to actually try as hard as possible to become elite and are spending your time asking us whether the sport is worth your time on ChalkBucket which you are too young to be on anyway. Gymnastics is worth your time whether you go to the Olympics or not--so I don't think that it's such a smart idea to set focus on it, when in reality you have less of a chance than other gymnasts who have been focused on this before they could even talk. It's possible, but not extremely likely. Good luck!

You always have a chance, but the percentage is so low that it's not likely. Instead of basing your gymnastics on getting to the olympics, why don't you set smaller goals for yourself and work your way up? Who knows, maybe one day you will be on that Olympic Podium!! And if not, you should still feel happy about acheiving the smaller goals.

Well, you are 11, so unless you turned 12 before the end of 2012, you would not be eligible for the Olympics until 2020, so TECHNICALLY, you do have a chance. Just keep working hard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back