Parents Do major meets tend to keep the schedules about the same year to year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
I'm wondering if those of you who have been to the same meets year after year have noticed that the sessions/times/days seem to stay the same year to year. With two kids competing different levels for different gyms during the same winter block, I'm just trying to see if someone with a crystal ball can predict if we'll all be able to go to all meets, even the ones on overlapping weekends!

While obviously things can change - I wouldn’t book flights or hotels based on an assumption that levels and sessions will line up with years previous - I will say that this is something I have paid careful attention to (in deciding whether or not to attend travel meets) and they do seem to repeat the same scheduling frameworks year to year. Optionals tend to get the best time slots, with lower developmental levels and Xcel being assigned early mornings and Sundays. But there are exceptions!

I think boys' meets often keep the the same levels at the same times, but no guarantees. Girls' meets tend to have many more sessions for the same levels so I wouldn't count on anything.

We have noticed this tends to be the case for most of the meets we attend. However, it does not help much for the big travel meets because they tend to have multiple sessions of each level, often at different times and days, so it doesn’t help you predict which session your kid will be in.

I am a nerd who will look up the last several years' schedules to see if I can predict when our girls will go. It seems like 50/50 that the schedule falls in line with previous years. At big meets, levels 8-10 do seem to get the most weekend, prime time slots, but the rest is all just slotted around wherever it fits.

I do think the dramatic rise in Xcel numbers each year is causing a lot of that change up. Every year there are more sessions devoted to Xcel, so the schedule has to change by necessity.

Thanks everyone! I hadn't thought of the fact that even though the sessions might be the same each year, that won't help me figure out which exact one my kid will be in!

I am a nerd who will look up the last several years' schedules to see if I can predict when our girls will go. It seems like 50/50 that the schedule falls in line with previous years. At big meets, levels 8-10 do seem to get the most weekend, prime time slots, but the rest is all just slotted around wherever it fits.

I do think the dramatic rise in Xcel numbers each year is causing a lot of that change up. Every year there are more sessions devoted to Xcel, so the schedule has to change by necessity.

Where would you look up previous years' schedules?

Sometimes they're on meetscores. VERY often meets just make new pages for schedules every year and leave the old ones up so if you google search you can find them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back