Do people do alot of privates

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am brand new to the sport so sorry about all the questions. In figure skating private lessons are almost a requirement. You cant really get by without them .

How many private lessons do gymnasts really do? Is it common or uncommon.

Also where can i find a list of the levels everyone is talking about?
My dd has been in gymnastics for 15 years (and still going). Over that time, she has probably had less than a dozen private lessons. If your dd can't make satisfactory progress without regular privates, you need to find another gym. Other than the obvious need to teach floor or beam routines, privates are for getting past a mental block, or to catch up from time away. They should be the exception rather than the rule.

To answer your second question, the USAG WAG website has an overview:

:: USA Gymnastics :: Junior Olympic Program Overview

but for specifics, you will need to consult one of the manuals. Rules and Policies does give a little more info:

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/part2-sect2-levreqtext.pdf

In 6 years of comp gym the oldest has had 5 privates and they were all due to missing lots of gym whilst injured to catch up on routines. The youngest has done one in 2 years of comp gym.

If they can't learn in the gym time what they need to then that is just life. Privates are not a bigh thing up here and frankly I have better things to spend my money on. I would rather they got to go to summer camp than have privates, way more fun for them. If it ain't fun we ain't doing it!!

So funny you say that about your cheer gym. WHen my dd first lost her robh she was doing 2 or more privates a week to get it back, what was I thinking? This past year when she lost it again I did a few privates and then just stopped. I figured if she wanted to get it back she would, and she didn't. Hence why we are now in gymnastics.

Last week she did a camp from M-THursday for 2 hours. She called me on the first day and said she could do her robh in the pit and did it a million times. When I got to the gym, there she was throwing it. THen on Thursday she called and said she got it on the floor. I go th there and she wouldn't throw it for me..lol ANyway to my point, she spent 6 month at her cheer gym and didn't throw 1 flip flop. She has been training for 3 weeks at this gymnastics gym and she has found some confidence.

I tell her all I want to see is progression. A little faster run one week, or ro on the floor into the pit with the flip flop. Lucky for me she has 4 months at least, before she has a meet to compete in with that robh!!

My 9 yr old dd just got moved up to Level 4 competition team after being on pre-team for about 6 weeks. She was practicing 2 days a week for 3 hours each. We did no privates and she still was able to learn all the routines and get all the skills in that amount of time.

She has been a cheerleader for the past 3 years so she is in pretty good shape. In cheerleading last year we did as many as 2 privates a week (1/2 hr tumbling) and to tell you the truth it didn't really help much. I say this because she had trouble with her back handspring and I thought the extra privates would help her get it. Actually, it stressed her out more. Since we cut out the privates at her gymnastics gym, she is doing just fine with her BHS without any issues.

I am new to this sport also, but not too many people at our gym do privates. Maybe the much higher level teams but nobody on my dd's team.

I would wait on the privates. You'd be better off doing some light conditioning and streching at home with her a few days a week. Just my opinion!

Good luck!

I am brand new to the sport so sorry about all the questions. In figure skating private lessons are almost a requirement. You cant really get by without them .

How many private lessons do gymnasts really do? Is it common or uncommon.

Also where can i find a list of the levels everyone is talking about?

Welcom to the sport and the CB. Here are 2 pennies to start your money tree because you will need it LOL.

It can vary on the program, the girl and the parents. If you have a a good program you really shouldn't need privates if your girl goes to all the practices and does the any home conditioning they ask of her. There are some parents that do privates all the time because they think their child is the next Nastia (you will come to refer to them at "Those Parents").

My DD usually will do a private before a sectional and a state just to tweek one or two moves make sure the hands are right that the toe points are right, make sure the legs are straight or bent where they should be. That tends to be the trend at our gym or to fix a specific move that isn't exactly being done well.

Last season we did alot of privates because DD had an ankle overuse issue and wasn't allowed to tumble from Sep - til the end of Oct. So we did a bunch of privates to get her caught up and so she could qualify for sectionals and States.

On the whole privates really aren't required.

I would say, no privates unless you've been gone and need to catch up or are learning an optional beam/floor routine. If you're having a lot of trouble with a routine (optional or not) and need to have a private to go over the choreography, that's fine. Maybe a private if you have a BIG BIG BIG mental block on something. However, you should be able to work everything out in practice. I've never had a private, although I might when I come back from vacation this year - to make up.

I started off doing privates only for a few weeks when I first started. I already learned some skills on my own and was too good for the beginner group but needed to get a little bit better to go up to the next group. so I learned what I needed to at some privates to get me started and then I was in the next group. I've only taken 1 or 2 privates since then.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back