Do people who do sports other than gym ever bug you??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

and by bff was sitting right there when i said that...but she is in the bathroom right now so i better hurry...
cheerleading is SO not a sport! They talk about how hard it is and stuff and i just want to slap them too! ughh! but my friend is a good tumbler, and cheering does look fun...but there is NO way i would ever do it.
and i am also on the swim team in the summer and it is tough, but we only practice in the mornings so there isn't a conflict w/ gymnastics :)

bahahahahahhahahahahahahahah. oh my goodness i laughed so hard. hahahah

and by bff was sitting right there when i said that...but she is in the bathroom right now so i better hurry...
cheerleading is SO not a sport! They talk about how hard it is and stuff and i just want to slap them too! ughh! but my friend is a good tumbler, and cheering does look fun...but there is NO way i would ever do it.
and i am also on the swim team in the summer and it is tough, but we only practice in the mornings so there isn't a conflict w/ gymnastics :)

Oh my goodness! That was so funny! That totally made my day!

*dies laughing*

Cheerleading is technically a sport, but dang do I find cheerleaders annoying.
The only thing making it REALLY different from gymnastics is the stunting.

My friend likes to tell me about how hard the basketball team at her school works. Ooh, suicides, chin-ups, crunches, I'm scaaared. Like I don't do that kind of thing in soccer and gym as well :)

Last edited:
i feel the samee wayy! all my friends are like im so strong and could easily handle your workouts! not in a million years could they though, they have no idea how hard my coach conditions. it drives me crazy..

it really bugs me when my friends that do sports like hockey and netball say that gym is really easy so i got them to come to one of my practices and they gave up after about 15mins of conditioning! they never said it was easy again!:)

and btw cheerleading is deffo not a 'real' sport!

okay...so i have this friend who does volleyball.
she is always going on and on about how sore she is and how hard it is, and in my head i am screaming "YOU THINK THAT IS HARD! you should try being a gymnast!!!"
i tell her what i have to do and she just acts like she could do it in her sleep, and in reality, she isn't the most "physically fit" person i have met.
she just drives me CRAZY!
do you have any suggestions on how to make her understand how hard gym is and how easy volleyball is and how easy she has it?

Bring her to an open gym and have her try to walk the beam, do a bhc and jump to the high bar...they see what she says!

I have to comment on the cheerleading issue here. I think we should give anyone credit for any sport or physical activity they do. They are having fun and putting effort in and who is anyone to put them down for it. We do not like people putting gym down so we shouldn't be doing it to others.
I have done both cheerleading and gymnastics as well as coached both. Sure they are very different, but they both have the basic fundamentals. They both take the same endurance, flexibilty, balance, strength, coordination, and mental attitude. As far as coaching, my cheerleaders run and do the same condition as my gymnasts now do. In gymnastics, you mainly have control over your own body and a mistke is entirely your own. In a cheerleading stunt, you can be 3-4 people high and if that very bottom person messes up, even by one count, there are like 6 others who will get hurt. They are both equally hard and dangerous and it bothers me to hear people say otherwise because all they think about is the pom poms and dancing.

No, one of them is a sport.

This is what cheerleading might look like if it was a real sport.

I have to agree. I actually would compare Cheerleading more to dancing with tumbling. Yes they can work hard but not the same way a gymnast does.

All I know in this area the cheer "coaches" seem to be more self taught moms of one of the girls or a school teacher assigned to the cheer squad.

Our gym has a local school come from 3-4 one a week and their coach works with them with the help of one of our coaches. Those girls well arent exactly fit. you have a few that look trim, athletic and health but the majority of them well are chunky. their tumbling is more in the range of "Whew I made it and didn't crash on my face" and their form Yikes!!

They do work very hard but no where near as hard as a gymnast.

Ok and that like to "real sport" WOW that was fabulous!!!

My daughter just finished 4th grade, she goes to a fairly small school. In phys ed they took the presidential physical fitness test and my daughter and another girl were the only 2 in the school to pass. They are both gymnasts.

Yes.

It does because ...well... it IS hard. I have a friend who does field hockey right now and she's constantly complaining and whining about how badly she hurts. For example she got a bruise above her chest (about the size of a quarter) and she started crying. I sympathized with her of course, but in my head i'm going "You think that hurts?! Try doing handstands on beam for six minutes straight in 115 degree weather because your gym doesn't have AC, then going on bars for the first time in four years and doing nothing but casts for 20 minutes plus doing conditioning with the other teens for 3 hours when you aren't even in their level! Let's see how much you cry then!" I know it sounds mean but still.... it's annoying.

P.S. - Sympathize with her at that time then go home and rant and rave to the t.v. or mirror.
Believe me it helps.

I have to comment on the cheerleading issue here. I think we should give anyone credit for any sport or physical activity they do. They are having fun and putting effort in and who is anyone to put them down for it. We do not like people putting gym down so we shouldn't be doing it to others.
I have done both cheerleading and gymnastics as well as coached both. Sure they are very different, but they both have the basic fundamentals. They both take the same endurance, flexibilty, balance, strength, coordination, and mental attitude. As far as coaching, my cheerleaders run and do the same condition as my gymnasts now do. In gymnastics, you mainly have control over your own body and a mistke is entirely your own. In a cheerleading stunt, you can be 3-4 people high and if that very bottom person messes up, even by one count, there are like 6 others who will get hurt. They are both equally hard and dangerous and it bothers me to hear people say otherwise because all they think about is the pom poms and dancing.

I am all for cheerleading at the level where the cheerleaders take it seriously (eg. College cheer [sometimes]). However the point where I think cheerleading loses its status as a sport is when it is at the level where the girls are just in it to socialize and become popular for being cheerleaders. In doing so, the cheerleading loses the tumbling aspect, the form, and many stunts, which are the points that I would say make it a sport. I didn't explain it exactly right, but I hope I got it close enough.

All I know in this area the cheer "coaches" seem to be more self taught moms of one of the girls or a school teacher assigned to the cheer squad.

It is too bad that is the situation in your area because its leading you to have a false understanding. Where I live, Cheerleading actually has stricter rules than gymnastics. Practically anyone can coach around here as there are no real rules that gymnastics coaches have to have any certifications. In cheer, coaches have to attend mandatory seminars and meetings and have to be safety certified.

Way too funny! I caught the tail end of this thread and had to go back up to read the whole thing to figure out why everyone was "laughing!" I'm sitting here still grinning to myself!! HA HA HA

My daughter just finished 4th grade, she goes to a fairly small school. In phys ed they took the presidential physical fitness test and my daughter and another girl were the only 2 in the school to pass. They are both gymnasts.

Same here. My DD and her friend who does gym at a different Gym were the only ones to pass the "Presidential" level of the test.

My sister plays softball. Last year, when I was still doing gym and track, I couldn't stand listening to her complain of soreness/fatigue. It's really annoying listening to someone whine when she's practicing and hour and a half twice a week, when you're working out 3 hours 6 times a week for one sport, and 3 hours 3 times a week for the other. And she'd always say gymnastics isn't that hard (she quit 5years ago). I'm sorry but it wouldn't be hard to me either if all you did was screw around the whole time and pretend to be injured.

On the flip side, dedicated athletes exist in every sport. I've come to understand that a lot of the intensity in a practice is what you choose to make it. My boy friend is a former football player/wrestler, who ran XC his senior year, and will continue in college. I'm running with him this summer, and last night we had an hour of a "high intensity run" I admired his athleticism so much last night; he pushed himself so hard, (which made me want to too), and then we got back to his house to do weights and we were still really working through it, even though we're both tired from working all day. He is just one example of some of the non gymnasts I've met. I can say that I truly respect other sports and their competitors; you don't know how much an individual is pushing himself above and beoynd unless you're in the gym(on the filed, court) with him every time.

As for cheerleading..I have watched a few cheerleading programs and it is a challenging sport. I also believe it is incredibly mentally draining, which adds to the difficulty. Now my team I was on was awful and everyone was a non athlete, but if you're talking about a club or even high school team that is competitive on a major level, it is a lot of work.

No, one of them is a sport.

This is what cheerleading might look like if it was a real sport.

That is reall not nice and I hope you were just joking. Competitive All Star Cheerleading may not require as many training hours, but it is definitely a great sport. Where else do you see three 7 year olds putting a girl up in the air, throwing her, and catching her all on their own. GYmnastics is more challenging but to say Cheerleading isn't a sport is sad. And besides if it's getting kids out off the house and off the couch who cares!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back