Do people who do sports other than gym ever bug you??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Man oh man it looks like some of you need to check out your local All Star Cheerleading practices. I honestly didn't think anyone really believed what you are saying anymore. Check this out, and search for the Level 5 teams. Stingrays is agreat example at Level 2 or 5.

2009 UCA National All Star Cheerleading Championship

If that isn't hard work, then I don't know what is. Yes gymnastics is more challenging, but these kids work at least 9 hours a week as team plus privates and tumbling classes.

My daughter who is only 7 spent 3 years in All Star Cheer and she worked ver;y hard. There was no Rah Rah Shish boom bah there..blood sweat and tears. ANd no football games to sit and jump at.

If you do a search on Illinois Cheer Pee Wees Level 2 you will see my daughters team.

Why is my daughter in gymnastics and not cheer anymore? Their focus was really on tumbling and when she was blocking on her ROBH for 7 months I thought it was time for a change. SHe stepped into a gym and fell in love with bars!

I have to agree. I actually would compare Cheerleading more to dancing with tumbling. Yes they can work hard but not the same way a gymnast does.

All I know in this area the cheer "coaches" seem to be more self taught moms of one of the girls or a school teacher assigned to the cheer squad.

Our gym has a local school come from 3-4 one a week and their coach works with them with the help of one of our coaches. Those girls well arent exactly fit. you have a few that look trim, athletic and health but the majority of them well are chunky. their tumbling is more in the range of "Whew I made it and didn't crash on my face" and their form Yikes!!

They do work very hard but no where near as hard as a gymnast.

Ok and that like to "real sport" WOW that was fabulous!!!

Yes-I recently saw the cheerleading worlds on tv and I was very impressed. The routines looked so physically demanding; constant motion. So I can say that I do respect and appreciate what they do.

and by bff was sitting right there when i said that...but she is in the bathroom right now so i better hurry...
cheerleading is SO not a sport! They talk about how hard it is and stuff and i just want to slap them too! ughh! but my friend is a good tumbler, and cheering does look fun...but there is NO way i would ever do it.
and i am also on the swim team in the summer and it is tough, but we only practice in the mornings so there isn't a conflict w/ gymnastics :)

Boy I hope you are just joking.

Thats what their shirts say, but I think stingrays might just be a popular name! I believe they are partners from a college team.

My daughter just finished 4th grade, she goes to a fairly small school. In phys ed they took the presidential physical fitness test and my daughter and another girl were the only 2 in the school to pass. They are both gymnasts.

That's funny you mentioned that! In elementary school we had the same thing, and in 4th grade I finished both of the fitness tests. After 75 pushups (I'm talking the slow one's where you go down to your chin, hold it,) I was still going. My PE teacher wasn't shocked that I did it (she actually is a gymnastics judge and had judged me before) she was more surprised and had no idea what to do. The 6th grade boys weren't too pleased that they got their butt's kicked by a little three foot 4th grader.

Haha, in my school we always post the "top 5" for all the events on the presidential fitness test. I was looking at the girl's scores and I'm like "gymnast, gymnast, gymnast, gymnast, gymnast".

I got presidential for the first time this year too, because of gym of course! I was always good at all the events except for the sit and reach...but tumbling forces you to become more flexible haha.

Haha, in my school we always post the "top 5" for all the events on the presidential fitness test. I was looking at the girl's scores and I'm like "gymnast, gymnast, gymnast, gymnast, gymnast".

I got presidential for the first time this year too, because of gym of course! I was always good at all the events except for the sit and reach...but tumbling forces you to become more flexible haha.

Ha ha. I still have the sit and rach records grades 3-6 at my elementary school. I actually reached farther than it could measure. :p

In like 3rd grade we did the Presidential fitness test so I was a level 4 I think? That year me and 2 other gymnasts passed and got Presidential and one boy. By 4th and 5th grade only us three gymnasts were passing. The boy wasn't able to as it got harder. :)

I cant stand it when some of my friends say that they work soooooo hard at their sport and its the hardest sport ever, when they only practice 1 or 2 times a week.
People thought gymnastics was sooo easy before we had to do it in PE. Then they shut up:)

That is reall not nice and I hope you were just joking. Competitive All Star Cheerleading may not require as many training hours, but it is definitely a great sport. Where else do you see three 7 year olds putting a girl up in the air, throwing her, and catching her all on their own. GYmnastics is more challenging but to say Cheerleading isn't a sport is sad. And besides if it's getting kids out off the house and off the couch who cares!!

thank you!!!!!!!!!!! great!!!!!!!

and im not a cheerleader at all but i think its a sport just gymnastics is better :D

Last edited:
thank you!!!!!!!!!!! great!!!!!!!

and im not a cheerleader at all but i think its a sport just gymnastics is better :D

You know the biggest difference between the two and training hours is the fact that gymnasts train 4 events and cheerleaders train for a 2minute 30 second routine. Of course if they had to do 4 different routines they would have longer hours.

I haven't decided which one I like better yet, I have to wait for meet season to begin to see the joy or dismay on my dd's face after her first one!

I really wish our hs cheer team hadn't been so lame. Then I wouldn't have quit in favor of track workouts. And club cheer around here is hard to come by. It exists, but it's a little far and I just didn't have time to be driving off to practice all the time. But yeah I think anyone who watched cheerleader nation can appreciate what they do.

I cant stand it when some of my friends say that they work soooooo hard at their sport and its the hardest sport ever, when they only practice 1 or 2 times a week.
People thought gymnastics was sooo easy before we had to do it in PE. Then they shut up:)

What I'm getting at when I reply is that there is a difference between preferring your sport and refusing to respect what other athletes do, and I think that the latter is occuring here too often. Like I said, I can genuinely say that I respect all athletes, something that has grown in me over the last few years and this year in particular.

In like 3rd grade we did the Presidential fitness test so I was a level 4 I think? That year me and 2 other gymnasts passed and got Presidential and one boy. By 4th and 5th grade only us three gymnasts were passing. The boy wasn't able to as it got harder. :)

Haha poor boy. I was only 1 of 3 boys in my HS to get it this time around, and we have like 700 something boys in my school (and we all have to take PE). A lot of people were really close and like missed one event. Like track guys can be flexible and fast but can't do pullups and a lot of boys can't do the flexibility stuff. And most normal girls can't really do pullups. And gymnasts do like 25 in a row, haha!!

My daughter just finished 4th grade, she goes to a fairly small school. In phys ed they took the presidential physical fitness test and my daughter and another girl were the only 2 in the school to pass. They are both gymnasts.

We did the tests in 9th and 11th grade, and both years, I got Presidential. I also hold the school record for the plank, which was something around 8 minutes, 45 seconds. But we would do planks for 10 minutes in gym and dance, so I was used to it. The only reason I stopped was really because there was nobody left and I got bored. :) I'm what they called an energetic child.

I really wish our hs cheer team hadn't been so lame. Then I wouldn't have quit in favor of track workouts. And club cheer around here is hard to come by. It exists, but it's a little far and I just didn't have time to be driving off to practice all the time. But yeah I think anyone who watched cheerleader nation can appreciate what they do.

Loved that show, but in reality that show doesn't even come close to what the level 5/6 All Stars do. IMHO

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back