Do people who do sports other than gym ever bug you??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Boy I hope you are just joking.

I was talking about middle school cheerleading (i just finished 8th grade) and my friend did cheerleading there, and they practiced 2 days a week for 1 hour and all they did was talk! I understand that cheerleading is hard, but i don't think that school cheerleading is. Like, i love to watch ECCATS and cheer extreme and the stingrays. I have 3 friends that go to eccats.
sorry if i offended anyone.

Loved that show, but in reality that show doesn't even come close to what the level 5/6 All Stars do. IMHO

Oh I know; I've managed to catch some wicked cool inside look kind of shows on the world of All Star cheerleading. I just thought Cheerleader Nation was more mainstream.

I am all for cheerleading at the level where the cheerleaders take it seriously (eg. College cheer [sometimes]). However the point where I think cheerleading loses its status as a sport is when it is at the level where the girls are just in it to socialize and become popular for being cheerleaders. In doing so, the cheerleading loses the tumbling aspect, the form, and many stunts, which are the points that I would say make it a sport. I didn't explain it exactly right, but I hope I got it close enough.

AGREED. I think cheerleading can be tough but seriously the girls that start cheer, especially the young ones, are only there to say they can do cheer. For my conditioning I have to run for usually 8-10 minutes and they run 3. They also are really annoying and think they're the shiz because they do "cheer". The older ones at my gym are better and not like that, but boy the young ones make me roll my eyes allll the time.

Hey now! Cheerleading has it's own challenges... it's no where near as hard as gymnastics, but it's a team sport rather than an individualized one. You could be an amazing cheerleader but you can't to anything without three others to make a stunt group.

Comparing gymnastics and cheerleading is like comparing apples to oranges. There's no point because they are completely different sports.

yea i never really thought of it that way. my opinion is gymnastics takes more strenght practice dedication and is a better and more difficult sport. buuuuuuuut cheerleading is a sport, even tho most the cheerleaders at my school are not very nice to moi.

I should clarify my earlier comments; when i say cheerleading is not a sport, that's not inherently a negative comment. I would compare it to dance, or juggling, which I have absolutely nothing against. It's not a sport, it's a performance for entertainment, and nothing more. I have nothing against this sort of performance, so long as they are recognized for what they are.

My biggest objection to cheerleading (aside from crazy parents and the high amount of coaches who don't know the first thing about tumbling technique) is that it masquerades as an serious sport, rather than being presented as what it really should be; performance for the sake of entertainment.

Last edited:
just show them ur tumbling and then ask them to show u wat u just did. alot of the people at my skool think that just cus there is this tiny little girl who tumbles they can do it too. but in reality they dont now that it takes alot of strength to pull off alot of the things we do. btw it annoys me soooo much wen people do that

ok so heres the thing...
cheerleaders at my school can not do a backhandpring
stand there and shake their butts (and win championships!)
get all the bragging rites
and the popularity
canot do any conditioning
however...
if the cheerleader can lets say actually handspring and tuck and such
whoo hoo good 4 them. my cousin is 18 and rohandlayout she is a cheerleader
i just have problems with the unahletic ppl that think they r hot stuff.

also here we have this tape that counts sit ups and push ups to like 80. and the last ppl were me, my friend (gymnast), and this athletic boy. and i will never 4get the look on his face it was like omg when are they gonna drop out i cant have them beat me! but anyways we all three went till the end. lol

ok so heres the thing...
and the popularity
however...

also here we have this tape that counts sit ups and push ups to like 80. and the last ppl were me, my friend (gymnast), and this athletic boy. and i will never 4get the look on his face it was like omg when are they gonna drop out i cant have them beat me! but anyways we all three went till the end. lol

I don't want to sound rude, but can you please drop the chat/text speak? It's unneccessary and annoying.

Everyone has different opinions so lay off of gymfan4ever95 if she doesn't think cheer is a sport than so be it. did you do cheer? Aren't you a mom? And yes the older cheerleaders actually do real stuff but the younger ones just think they're the best because they do cheer when they only do round offs and scream their heads off.

I think it is important to respect all sports people. Gymnasts probably train the longest hours out of any sport in the world but many sports are equally challenging, depending on the level you are at. At an elite level all sports are insanely demanding.

Why does it matter that she knows how hard gym is and how easy her sport is. Why not both of you be good friends and congratulate each other for being involved in sports you love.
I agree ! Any elite sport is difficult. Some need good muscle, some need agility, some need endurance (ironman !!!) some need flexibility, some need coordination... And don't forget that a person is really good in gymnastics but will be really bad in another sport (like tennis !). My daugther is good in gymnastics but she as problem with any ball (baseball, tenis, soccer...)

ok so heres the thing...
and the popularity
however...

I think you hit the nail on the head. IMO, the girls who are real athletes and cheer on All Star teams are not like you are describing with the school cheerleaders. Where we go to High School cheerleading at it's peak is about ROBHT/L/F, whatever the girls can do.

Here is the High School I went to.

Headgames

I am sorry if it sounds like i don't like cheerleading. My best friend does cheer and she is very athletic and very talented. I started this thread asking for advice on how to get my VOLLYBALL friend to understand that gymnastics is hard work. This has gotten turned in a different directions with people getting upset with what i have said and people arguing between gymnastics and cheerleading. I am sorry, again, if i offended anyone. But I agree that both take hard work, i just think that gymnastics is harder. If anyone disagrees and thinks otherwise, i am sorry. I am just expressing my views. And i would love it if we could turn this thread back into what it started out to be. If you would rather talk about cheerleading, start your own thread please.

I just honestly think there are some people who like to complain a lot and want their sport to be the hardest so they can complain more. You know what they say, "if you can't take the heat, then stay out of the kitchen" Like I said before, my sister(softball) and I would always battle over who was more tired. We still do it, except now it's when I'm working 45 hours a week and running an average of 50 miles a week, and she's babysittting 24 hours a week and playing softball. I mostly just get on her when she starts whining about how tired she is...I never start it, because in truth, I am loving my life right now. It's crazy, but it's mine!

haha isnt funny wen chearleaders are so stuck up and snooty and then they see you tumble and they give you the stare like "o you think your so great look" haha and you dnt even mean you to show off. haha. no offence to cheerleaders. i hav many frends who do the compotition cheer. including my sister. some of they do is verry amazing. i used to do it before i did gym.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking about middle school cheerleading (i just finished 8th grade) and my friend did cheerleading there, and they practiced 2 days a week for 1 hour and all they did was talk! I understand that cheerleading is hard, but i don't think that school cheerleading is. Like, i love to watch ECCATS and cheer extreme and the stingrays. I have 3 friends that go to eccats.
sorry if i offended anyone.

Yeah, I'm in middle school and our cheerleaders complain all the time!!!! At the end of the year, they had tryouts for next year and they said how they did "toetouches" and they were soooo sore and that their practice was sooo hard. In my head I'm like HA! you should come to practice with me some day!!

Yeah, I'm in middle school and our cheerleaders complain all the time!!!! At the end of the year, they had tryouts for next year and they said how they did "toetouches" and they were soooo sore and that their practice was sooo hard. In my head I'm like HA! you should come to practice with me some day!!

Actually I went to UCA cheer camp, and our jumps classes were a really good workout. They were up to 2 hours of just practicing jumps on a hardwood floor, so I could see where something like that would be hard if it was anything similar. We did toe touches, hurkies, hurdlers, pike jumps, and double 9s. It was a pretty challenging and demanding thing to do, but it was worth it because I ended up All-American because of my jumps. So don't be so quick to judge; if they worked on toe touches for any extended period of time, it really may have been tiring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back