Do people who do sports other than gym ever bug you??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
okay...so i have this friend who does volleyball.
she is always going on and on about how sore she is and how hard it is, and in my head i am screaming "YOU THINK THAT IS HARD! you should try being a gymnast!!!"
i tell her what i have to do and she just acts like she could do it in her sleep, and in reality, she isn't the most "physically fit" person i have met.
she just drives me CRAZY!
do you have any suggestions on how to make her understand how hard gym is and how easy volleyball is and how easy she has it?

That drives me crazy too when people complain about how hard their sport practices are, but they think gymnastics isn't that hard!! It is really annoying but you shouldn't tell her "how easy she has it". It shouldn't be a competition to prove if volleyball or gymnastics is harder because they both are active and have hard skills. You can tell your friend that you put a lot of hard work into gymnastics and it hurts when she says how "easy" it is.

My son's friends use to be the same way until my sons friends decided to try a rec class - that kid lasted 3 classes and quit saying it was the hardest thing he ever did and He can't even imagine how my son did this 3 days a week 4 hours a day.

Hey now! Cheerleading has it's own challenges... it's no where near as hard as gymnastics, but it's a team sport rather than an individualized one. You could be an amazing cheerleader but you can't to anything without three others to make a stunt group.

Comparing gymnastics and cheerleading is like comparing apples to oranges. There's no point because they are completely different sports.

I think it is important to respect all sports people. Gymnasts probably train the longest hours out of any sport in the world but many sports are equally challenging, depending on the level you are at. At an elite level all sports are insanely demanding.

Why does it matter that she knows how hard gym is and how easy her sport is. Why not both of you be good friends and congratulate each other for being involved in sports you love.

I think it is important to respect all sports people. Gymnasts probably train the longest hours out of any sport in the world but many sports are equally challenging, depending on the level you are at. At an elite level all sports are insanely demanding.

Why does it matter that she knows how hard gym is and how easy her sport is. Why not both of you be good friends and congratulate each other for being involved in sports you love.

I think Competitive Ice Skating, Diving, and swimming might be right up there with hours of practice.

Ughhh, I know...I have a friend in figure skating (which I also used to be involved with) who thinks she is the strongest person in the world. And I'm like, okay, at an advanced level, figure skating does take a lot of strength, but she's at the level I was when I quit. Except not as good as me (and I have the medal to prove it). She talks about how strong she is cause she's a skater...except skating at her level doesn't require any arm strength at all, and only some core/leg strength. And she really doesn't have the strength necessary for that.

Although I think I'll let her be happy and not yell...why be a downer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stand how everyone thinks their sport is the hardest in the world. Yeah sure some take a lot of talent, but in terms of training and strength and stuff, gymnasts would win that pretty easily I think. I know some guys who have said they do the toughest sport and they are stronger then any other athletes, like football players, wrestlers, or lax players, and then one of the gymnast girls challenges them to any kind of conditioning contest. I've seen many sad guys after those contests. And it can be especially traumatic for a trying-too-hard-to-be-tough middle school boy to get beat by a girl. Oh well!

Hey now! Cheerleading has it's own challenges... it's no where near as hard as gymnastics, but it's a team sport rather than an individualized one. You could be an amazing cheerleader but you can't to anything without three others to make a stunt group.

Comparing gymnastics and cheerleading is like comparing apples to oranges. There's no point because they are completely different sports.
No, one of them is a sport.

This is what cheerleading might look like if it was a real sport.

Last edited:
Cheerleading.

Need I say more?

Hahahahahhahahahahahahah I love it. But yes I get very annoyed. Especially with the cheerleader girls at my school. They are always saying how hard it is and how 5 pushups are the hardest thing in the world. I get annoyed when people of other sports that aren't as physically fit as me tell ME that I don't know how hard it is. And they go on and on about how sore they are and how much it sucks. I kind of just want to slap them haha. I know exactly and more how it feels like. I hate it when people complain so much about how sore they are too. Everyonce in a while is okay, but at times it's just like we get it, you're sore.

Forgot to add! I also have a lot of respect for swimmers. My mom used to be a swimmer, and in the summer she'd put us into swim lessons. We were the team level, but just not "team" because gym came first :D Swimmers have to use so much strength, and have a lot of endurance. Some practices of 3 hours straight are just swimming. I think i'd get bored :p

Yeah, swimming is really hard. And you have to be able to count and swim at the same time.

It's the people who do a different sport every bloody day of the week, win championship medals and get As in every subject as well that annoy me... grrrr.

Cheerleading is a real sport...although i agree the gymnastics is WAY harder! But i have to say cheerleading is a real sport because my best friend is a cheerleader...haha

and by bff was sitting right there when i said that...but she is in the bathroom right now so i better hurry...
cheerleading is SO not a sport! They talk about how hard it is and stuff and i just want to slap them too! ughh! but my friend is a good tumbler, and cheering does look fun...but there is NO way i would ever do it.
and i am also on the swim team in the summer and it is tough, but we only practice in the mornings so there isn't a conflict w/ gymnastics :)

and by bff was sitting right there when i said that...but she is in the bathroom right now so i better hurry...
cheerleading is SO not a sport! They talk about how hard it is and stuff and i just want to slap them too! ughh! but my friend is a good tumbler, and cheering does look fun...but there is NO way i would ever do it.
and i am also on the swim team in the summer and it is tough, but we only practice in the mornings so there isn't a conflict w/ gymnastics :)

I just sprayed a drink all over my screen. Oh my god I laughed so hard at this.

Cheerleading is a real sport...although i agree the gymnastics is WAY harder! But i have to say cheerleading is a real sport because my best friend is a cheerleader...haha

Seriously, those two posts just made my day lol

Cheerleading

I agree with cheerleading. I undersstand tumblerK that if you work hard and everything cheerleading could be hard, but from my experiences, cheerleading is like eating cake compared to gymnastics. One day at my gym there was cheerleading practice. One of the girls was working on her round off back handsprings. I saw her doing them perfectly getting lots of height a few minutes earlier. Now, the coaches wanted her to do one. There were two coaches there to spot her and they were on spring floor. She didn't want to do it so guess what she did? She stood there, folder her arms, pouted,(I'm talking lip out, scrunched up face...)and said "NO!", with a very big attidute tone in her voice!! And I'm standing here thinking. Are you kidding me! You would be kicked out of the gym for the rest of the night if this were gymnastics practice and you did that!

Oh I know cheerleaders can be complete wimps, especially when it comes to learning to tumble. Still, until you have learned to stunt you can't have any say on how hard cheerleading is. Gymnastics is definately harder, but fear-wise I would compare basing a new flyer's first twist cradle with throwing your first flyaway. In cheerleading you are not always in control. I have had a multiple bloody noses and black eyes to prove it.

Team sports and individuialized sports are completely different because they have different challenges. The team is only as strong as the weakest link, but in gymnastics it doesn't matter if the rest of your team sucks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back