Do you ever wonder WHy they got THAT score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a USAG level 1-9 Judge and would love to start a vidieo critique service where I watch your childs routines and tell you exactly what deductions I am taking and help you fix what you can .. To score the highest you can! I know you all have coaches but sometimes they don't know exact deductions or work all on major skils and not the little stuff and I can help with that. I am trying to spread the word if you would like me to watch one for you to try this out email me. I only ask that you spread the word nd let me know how it helped you.

This would be awesome!!! I am attatching 2 routines of my dd's floor. She is on Mason Dixon League in Md so their judging is a bit more lax (They allow the coach to spot skills and dd's coach says that a spot on a ROBHS is a .50 deduction.)

Routine 1: Floor starts at 00:15

YouTube - Style Gymnastics MDL Meet 1/4/09

Routine 2:

YouTube - St Marys Floor Ex 1/24/09

I am curious as to what deductions you see because Routine 1 scored a 8.50 and Routine 2 scored a 7.00. I know that Routine 2 was a bit sloppier and not as clean but I am just wondering if that score of 7.00 was judged too low.

Thank you so much!!!

Kathy

Welcome! Wow, what a nice idea! We haven't downloaded anything of DD's recently to youtube, but L4 is pretty boring anyway. However, there are some pretty You-Tube-rific gymnast from right here on the CB that you could probably critique. Good Luck!

Hi, Kat! :)

Do you judge both genders? Hope that's not a dumb question. My level 4 son and I are kinda new at all this.

If you do judge boys, I just posted a video yesterday, asking the general membership for input. I was hoping a real live judge would weigh in, and here you are. Hmmm... Now I'm hoping someone will give me a million dollars. :D

You can see the video here.

Just give it time to load, and you may have to run it a couple of times before it plays smoothly. I'm still learning the best way to display good quality video over the internet.

This is a terrific idea, Kat. I think many of us can benefit from your expertise.

- Harv

Hello and welcome! Wow what a great service you are offering! My dd just finished her Level 3 season and although I questioned several of her scores, there is one I really couldn't understand. It was her bars score in her State Meet. It was her first time nailing her mill circle yet received her lowest score yet. Her coach said that the bars judge doesn't not like our gym and were consistently scoring our gym girls lower. She implied some cheating going on.

Let me know what you think. Is our coach overacting or is this score justified?

YouTube - Level 3 State Championship- age 5

Her score was an 8.075.
What would you score it as?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome! Wow what a great service you are offering! My dd just finished her Level 3 season and although I questioned several of her scores, there is one I really couldn't understand. It was her bars score in her State Meet. It was her first time nailing her mill circle yet received her lowest score yet. Her coach said that the bars judge doesn't not like our gym and were consistently scoring our gym girls lower. She implied some cheating going on.

Let me know what you think. Is our coach overacting or is this score justified?

YouTube - Level 3 State Championship- age 5

Her score was an 8.075.
What would you score it as?

Thanks

Not a judge, but I don't think she got credit for the single leg cut backwards (returning to front support after mill circle).

Not a judge, but I don't think she got credit for the single leg cut backwards (returning to front support after mill circle).

Yeah I think you are right. She moved her hand too fast. How much of a deduction is it for no leg cut backwards?

Well I guess that and all the other little deductions might justify an 8.075. I would of hated to see her score without the mill circle. She scored all season in the 8.3 to 8.45 was her highest w/out mill circle. I guess since it was state they were judging tougher.

Yeah I think you are right. She moved her hand too fast. How much of a deduction is it for no leg cut backwards?

I'm not exactly sure since I don't know the L3 text very well because it's not really a competitive level here. They could consider it substituting an element, or maybe changing an element. She did a leg cut backward, she just didn't do it correctly. The element is worth .6 in L3 I think (more than it's worth in L4). In L4 if they put both hands on the inside and then cut their leg over, it's considered not correct and a substitution of the element, which would .8 in L4 (1.2 in L3?). So, pretty big. If they considered it changing an element it would be up to the value depending on the change. I guess there's some room for interpretation because she doesn't exactly rest on both hands and then swing the leg over, but I would probably most expect it to be considered substitution since her one hand is definitely inside her leg when she cuts over. In which case based on the L3 values I would suspect the routine was judged out of an 8.8 apart from that mistake.

I think it's hard for anyone to determine "fairness" of judging at a particular meet. All I can say is I have met many judges and they are very careful to judge fairly for the most part. At any meet the scores depend on the competition and all anyone judging afterward can really say what the deductions they see are. They can't necessarily throw the same score as the judges at that meet, or comment on the fairness of it.

Will you put the critique on here or send it privately. I would be really interested to understand more about judging routines. As a parent I think I see everything that went into getting that routine and all the emotions surrounding it rather than THE routine in front of me. While I will always see my dd in that way because her journey is more important to me than just one routine performed at the end, I would like to be able to 'see' the details of deductions more clearly. I hope that makes sense!

Wondering how long it takes to get a review back.

Hi Again,
I posted a bit ago about Bailey's Level 7 video. I appreciate you taking a look at it. I was just wondering how long it takes to review. We have a meet this weekend 2/7 and didn't know if you were able to get them back that fast. Thank you again for doing this. I have always wondered about judges comments.
Ashlyn

Kat- this is great I'm sure the parents are enjoying it. I am wondering if the parents are okay with it, if you can post the critique along with the video. As a coach I would love to see what specific deductions and how much you are taking for certain things.

I would love to see what specific deductions and how much you are taking for certain things.

I completely agree. I would love to see the critique as well if the parent/gymnast that posted is agreeable. I think there is alot that we can all learn even from gymnasts competing in other levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back