Parents Do you have a home gym/equipment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You had a lot of great points Ingymmom! I too, like the fact that dd learns new skills in the gym with her coach and is so excited to go to practice and practice with her teammates. I think that it is fine to do some conditioning at home and work on basic skills only if the child wants to, but I think that perfecting skills needs to be done in the gym with the coaches.

I had a really bad experience last year with a "backyard tarmpoline" that screwed my daughter up for over a year. Fortunately, a big wind storm blew the tramp into a neighbor's yard and now it is not useable. I deifintely take that as a sign!!! Yeah, trampolines are fun and "everyone has one" but when the kids start jumping around and teaching themselves skills, it can really mess up their form, their confidence, and can cause serious injury. My dd's form got all screwed up and she developed some really bad habits that had to be corrected back in the gym with the coaches. It took over a year to get that cleaned up. So, I try to let the coaches do the coaching, just to keep it consistent. My dd may be totally capable of "practicing skills at home", but I like her doing them in the presence of a coach.

DD's coaches know that she practices at home. Last night they had her demonstrating her glide swing and her kip to some of her teammates now that they are starting to train them. DD is the only one on the team to have her kip. The HC/O has told me that she is not at all worried about DD's bars, not now at level 4 and not in the future at level 10. Her bar work is exceptional. I also believe that the coaches would not have let her skip L3 if her skills were not up to par. We must be doing something right.

Those are some pretty big expectations being put on a young girl - you may not think you are pushing her - but I'm sure she is aware of what your goals and expectation of her are. Every little girl wants to make her mama proud. Just be careful - I've seen the downside of what you are doing many times over the years.

I also tell her anything her coaches have told her supersedes anything I might say, that I am not a coach and they certainly know better than I when it comes to gymnastics.

DD's coaches know that she practices at home. Last night they had her demonstrating her glide swing and her kip to some of her teammates now that they are starting to train them. DD is the only one on the team to have her kip. The HC/O has told me that she is not at all worried about DD's bars, not now at level 4 and not in the future at level 10. Her bar work is exceptional. I also believe that the coaches would not have let her skip L3 if her skills were not up to par. We must be doing something right.

If you tell her that whatever the coaches say supercedes what you tell her, then why even add that confusion to her gymnastics?

I also think that this can potentially cause some mixed messages at the gym among the other parents and kids. I can see other parents who may not be as informed as you with the gymnastics and the USAG book to think it is okay to coach their child at home. I can see them saying "Well, if it is ok that Shawn does this stuff at home with her dd, then it is ok for me also." I just see it becoming a coaches worst nightmare having to re-teach kids skills that they ruined at home.

I am not saying that this would happen to your dd, Shawn, I am just saying that it sets a bad prescedent for the other parents in the gym.

I don't see anything wrong with what Shawn is doing. Heck I have been known to correct DD's form a time or two. Sometimes I start before coach is correcting it. I just make sure not to over step my bounds. HC and I are on the same page 99.9% of the time. Also Coach knows that dd is teaching herself things on the trampoline. DD has her whipback, tuck and coach is fine with her having those skills before actually training them. I have even had her look at them for form to make sure she wasn't seeing something I was missing. I never taugh DD how to do them she just figured it out. She is young and having fun and I know she is very cautious. She does have fear which is a VERY good thing for her.

My DD is the exact same way. She started L4 free time by running and jumping into the pit. The other girls were doing front tucks and layouts and after about 10 minutes, so was my DD. She's trying front and back tucks on the tumble track from watching the other girls. She watches the higher level girls, especially on bars, and then copies what they do. The pictures in the book help her copy the right form and such. She can do a baby giant just by watching the older girls and looking in the book.

I have also done the same thing with regards to her form and technique. I explained to HC that DD was teaching herself the kip and asked HC to watch her once or twice to make sure that she wasn't doing anything horribly wrong. And when the coaches saw how close she was, they started taking notice and helping her get it. Now that she has the kip, mostly self-taught, the coaches are taking her a lot more seriously, too.

Hey Shawn,

Since your dd isn't spending a huge amount of time in the gym yet and seems to have free time for another structured activity, this is a great opportunity to supplement her gymnastics with a dance class. Instead of up-training at home with her free time, she could be gaining better flow and grace in her movements, increased flexibility and balance.

Sorry about the unsolicited advice, but I just watched your youtube video and the thought popped into my head.

Thanks. I did consider that but we live in a very small town and there are no dance classes nearby. The only two dance studios offer recital-based programs only. Also, she is in the gym 11 hours per week and does children's activities at church on Wednesday nights. I'm loathe to add another scheduled activity to her only free day after school.

To start with, my gymmie has a practice beam(about 4 yrs old now) and thats about it. Yes, we do have a tramp, but it was really bought for both girls and not for the younger one to practice on. When kids are at lower levels they may use all this gym equipment more. As they progress, it just tends to get shoved aside and gather dust. I never tell my gymmie when to pull out the beam---she has some rules about what she can do on it such as only acro skill allowed is a bwo. Usually if it gets used its to practice leaps/jumps. When she was learning her L7 routine last fall, she would pull it out to practice sections of the routine although since its only 8' long, the floor seemed to work just as well. Oh yes, the cat likes the beam as a scratching post!

Our 1st gym had parents sign an agreement not to coach from either the viewing area or at home. After several warnings, they would kick your dd off the team(or pre-team). I asked the coach how he would know and he said: 1. kids coming in doing stuff they couldn't do 1 week before 2. kids talk and tell the coach, "look what I learned at home" 3. doing skills incorrectly that are just being taught in the gym. Our present gym doesn't have parents sign an agreement, but the HC is pretty vocal about no bars at home and don't get into playing coach with your child.

I've seen parents try to play coach and buy every training tool known in several sports and the result is usually the same as a motivated child that comes to practice and works hard while there----they all get the same skills. Also the child that leaves the gym knowing mommy(or daddy) has books/vids and all kinds of gym equipment will eventually start to dread going home. They need to learn their name is not "gymnast" and they have value no matter when they learn a kip or what level they compete.

Hey, it took Shawn Johnson 1 yr to learn her kip----seems to have worked out well.

My DD is the exact same way. She started L4 free time by running and jumping into the pit. The other girls were doing front tucks and layouts and after about 10 minutes, so was my DD. She's trying front and back tucks on the tumble track from watching the other girls. She watches the higher level girls, especially on bars, and then copies what they do. The pictures in the book help her copy the right form and such. She can do a baby giant just by watching the older girls and looking in the book.

I have also done the same thing with regards to her form and technique. I explained to HC that DD was teaching herself the kip and asked HC to watch her once or twice to make sure that she wasn't doing anything horribly wrong. And when the coaches saw how close she was, they started taking notice and helping her get it. Now that she has the kip, mostly self-taught, the coaches are taking her a lot more seriously, too.

I'm curious...where are the coaches during this time???? It seems like what you are saying is that your gym has no structure and the kids are just free to roam around and "play on" any equipment that is available??? And attempt skills that they haven't been taught??? That just sounds like a gym that is just waiting for an accident to happen.

Wow...and I guess what you are saying is that all the other girls on the team that don't workout at home on equipment or try skills that the older team girls are doing aren't taken seriously at your gym by the coaches???

And this is helping your daughter how??? Sorry to sound rude, but you may want to read what you write before you hit "Submit Reply".

Last edited:
Also the child that leaves the gym knowing mommy(or daddy) has books/vids and all kinds of gym equipment will eventually start to dread going home. They need to learn their name is not "gymnast" and they have value no matter when they learn a kip or what level they compete.

This seems pretty extreme. Following that logic, I probably shouldn't have books at home because my children are learning to read at school and I don't want to put too much pressure on them and make them think they're labeled "reader" when they come home. They might think they have no value if they cannot read Shakespeare or Poe or Hawthorne.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but let's get real here. It is not the objects in a home that determine or negate a child's sense of self-worth and self-identity, but rather the attitudes.

This seems pretty extreme. Following that logic, I probably shouldn't have books at home because my children are learning to read at school and I don't want to put too much pressure on them and make them think they're labeled "reader" when they come home. They might think they have no value if they cannot read Shakespeare or Poe or Hawthorne.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but let's get real here. It is not the objects in a home that determine or negate a child's sense of self-worth and self-identity, but rather the attitudes.

pretty level headed post ;)

:fryingpan: I am beginnning to think we should all just start sticking to yes and no answers LOL! :rotfl:

I'm curious...where are the coaches during this time???? It seems like what you are saying is that your gym has no structure and the kids are just free to roam around and "play on" any equipment that is available??? And attempt skills that they haven't been taught??? That just sounds like a gym that is just waiting for an accident to happen.

Wow...and I guess what you are saying is that all the other girls on the team that don't workout at home on equipment or try skills that the older team girls are doing aren't taken seriously at your gym by the coaches???

And this is helping your daughter how??? Sorry to sound rude, but you may want to read what you write before you hit "Submit Reply".

Sorry, my reply made perfect sense to me. Sometimes the girls are allowed in the gym for 5 or 10 minutes before practice starts for free play. They are not allowed to just do anything but they can play on the tumble track or in the pit or just goof around on the floor. These are all L4-L6 team girls so the coaches do not feel the need to supervise every move they make. Once practice starts, it is very structured and organized. And really, can you honestly say that your daughter has never, ever tried any skill that she wasn't officially "taught" first?

I don't know if the coaches take the other girls seriously or not. I'm not their parent nor am I privy to whatever conversations go on between the coaches and those parents. I just know that they treated my daughter okay before but now I think they realize that she is dedicated and serious about gymnastics, no matter how young she is.

By the way, I do read every post several times before I submit it. I'm sorry if that last one was unclear to you but I thought I explained my point very well. Hopefully this one will help you understand what I meant.

pretty level headed post ;)

:fryingpan: I am beginnning to think we should all just start sticking to yes and no answers LOL! :rotfl:

It is definitely hard to get the point across without relying on tone and facial expressions, isn't it? :D

:hug: To you all Mommas! I think words on a computer screen can get misunderstood sometimes.:veryhappy: This is the second drama filled thread I've seen since I've joined:(:pessimist: No fun!

Anyway, I've looked at a few things for my dd. I want to get her a mat and a soft foam beam maybe from Santa ;) She needs a mat ASAP since she's always flipping around the house.:rotfl:

Ya know it is fine to not like what is said here, in fact it fine to say that you don't like what is said here, it's fine to say you disagree. Nobody has stooped to name calling so there really is no problem with this exchange.

We are all very different with one uniting feature, gymnastics, just like in the real world we are going to disagree and we are going to all think our way is the right way.

HillybillyBunny this is only one of many, many threads we have had where we don't agree and state the case. It's just fine, everyone has an opinion and we all are eager to read them (come on you know you all can't resist).

So keep on posting, sharing, disagreeing and having fun making new friends and even enemies!!!!:eek: It's what make hanging around the Chalkbucket so irrisistable!!!

P.S. I still don't like home gyms!!!:p

DD got a pink Nastia beam and mat for her birthday, she uses it to practice the Level 4 beam routine, cartwheels, ect. We also have a small, light hand weight set for her to work on strength training. I never MAKE her practice, she loves beam more then sliced bread without crust and would sleep on the thing if I let her.
I would be to scared of her hurting herself with a home bar or trampoline.
SHAWN- I see nothing wrong with what your doing as long as the coaches are okat with it. When my oldest DD started synchro swim I researched everything I could find on the sport. I have the USASF rules for All Star cheer memorized! Better you have to book then to not have it I say.

Liz
:nurse:

I see that is one topic many are going to have to agree to disagree. That being said...... What is wrong with having home equipment? My son is a hockey player he has roller blades and a few goal nexts to practice his shots and heck he and his father play games in the driveway. My best friends son has a pitching machine to practice his base ball. Heck if DS had his way we would have a nice rink in the back yard to skate and work on hockey. Foot ball players have tires and footballs at home to work on their sport. Soccer players have cones and nets and you see them practicing with their parents all the time in the yards. Isn't it all the same? Players look at tapes to improve their game and learn new things. Fathers go outside and work with them for hours to help them become the best team player that they can be. So what is wrong with parents purchasing equipment and books to do just the same. If the kid has a passion for something we as parents want to foster that and help them achieve their goals.

If you would ask my DD if she wanted to do a second activity she would tell you no don't want to. Yes she is the only one in her entire school on a gymnastics team. Many are in regular classes and honestly think she is pretty cool. For show and tell she doesn't always take toys sometimes she WANTS to show a skill to the class. She is proud of what she can do and wants to share. You know what that is fine with me. It is letting her friends into her world a bit. This week she refused to take a toy and asked her teacher to move the tables back and did her ROBHS for Show and tell. So that being said My DD is a little girl who likes to play with barbies, AG dolls, but yes she is a gymnast and that is a MAJOR part of who she is.

I am jumping off my soap box, flame me is you want but my DS is the same way. Heck if they would let him take a puck and stick to school he would be showing his wrist shot to his class.

While an interesting rebuttal, I can't really follow your logic. Schools and teachers will assign extra curricular reading to students who love to read. Most schools have reading lists that are age appropriate and wouldn't have content that is above their level. They might use these extra curricular books to reinforce things they are learning in the classroom such as - identify the main character, what is the main theme etc... I believe schools and teachers would find it a positive that I child loves to read and would encourage and reinforce this endeavor.

I know this for a fact, dd was an early reader and loves to read on her own. The downside is that she was very bored in school until the other kids caught up and it was difficult to keep her interested in 'see spot run' while she was reading two hundred page books at home.

The other side of the coin is this, 'practice makes permanent'. Most if not all coaches have reservations about home gyms and will site valid reasons why they are against it if you ask. They also have reservations about parents coaching their kids at home. If asked, they will tell you what the downside is.

My point is that you really can't compare reading to gymnastics. For one, no-one has ever broken an ankle or become paralyzed while reading. Another reason is that teachers encourage kids to read, while coaches would rather have the coaching done in the gym where they can spot and make corrections in form....again, practice makes permanent. It can take alot of the coaches attention to undo bad habits reinforced at home through unsupervised repetition of skills.

Anyway, whether right or wrong for you, I think that this is a more valid comparison of the facts.

BTW Shawn, it just occurred to me that you said that your 6 Y.O. dd works in the book by herself. This is hard for me to believe as most children in kindergarten are not working on reading skills yet, and if they are, they certainly aren't reading at the adult level in which the JO handbook is written.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I honestly didn't know this was such a hot issue!

Last year, the headcoach/director sent a flyer home with all the girls that had balance beams, mats and a jr. kip bar to order from for the holidays.

I'm guessing they don't have a problem with it at DD's gym. In fact, they also sent a CD with their floor music on it so they can practice their routines at home. And a booklet of all the skills for each event with instructions on how to do the routines. After class was over she would ask the girls "who practiced their routines!?".

So what is wrong with parents purchasing equipment and books to do just the same. If the kid has a passion for something we as parents want to foster that and help them achieve their goals.

I think that the answer might be in a comparison of the differences of the sports and the policies of the coaches.

Ball sports like baseball, football, soccer, basketball and hockey are scored with points. They have referees that call penalties. They are hand eye coordination sports and coaches don't discourage dads from going in the back yard and throwing the ball around or kids getting together for pick-up games.

Sports like gymnastics are scored differently. You don't have referees calling penalties, you have judges basing scores on deductions for bad form and missed skills (bad form can lead to a missed skill). Another difference is that coaches discourage the use of home equipment and also parents coaching their kids at home or from the stands.....if they catch you, they might even call a penalty on you...the parent:D

I guess the bigger question would be 'why do gymnastics coaches discourage parents from coaching their kids at home and owning home gym equipment'? I'm pretty sure that this has been discussed here before so I won't go into it again here. You can also look at this current thread in the coaching section.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/coaches-forum/14276-do-you-hate-home-gyms.html

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back