Parents Do you have a home gym/equipment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Team Dad- Our school system works early reading skills in kindergarten. My daughter was reading at a second grade level last spring when she finished kindergarten. Now, six weeks into first grade, she’s reading at close to a third grade level. She is an extraordinary girl. Also, I think I said she uses the pictures in the book that demonstrate the proper way to do skills. I read the text. However, she is capable of finding the skill she wants to see. She knows at which level the skills are taught and knows how to look them up in the book. Respectfully, you are not one to say what level my child is capable of reading or interpreting the JO book. You don’t know my daughter.

And no, kids don’t generally break an ankle or become paralyzed by reading. The point I was trying to make was the extreme view that simply having the skills book or video at home could make a child not want to go home at all. I think that is a ludicrous idea.

However, with regards to injuries, keep in mind that over 200,000 injuries to children under the age of 15 occur on playgrounds. About 45% of these injuries are severe and can result in fractures, dislocations, concussions and even amputations. There have also been 147 children killed in playground accidents between 1990 and 2000. Further, the vast majority of these accidents occur on public playgrounds, including schools. And yet we still allow our children to play. And another example, a young girl at our gym has broken her elbow three times in the last two years, twice at the gym and once on the playground. Accidents can happen anywhere at any time, and from the best I can tell, accidents happen far more often at the gym and on the playground than they do on a home balance beam.

Pixie- Our gym also sells home equipment for Christmastime and will provide any parent that asks with a copy of the floor music. I’d say that constitutes condoning additional practices if the gymnasts so desires.

ok kinda off topic LOL... My son actually broke his pinky toe while reading a book :p

And did I already say it? ... :fryingpan::dizzy:

ok kinda off topic LOL... My son actually broke his pinky toe while reading a book :p

:fryingpan::dizzy:

How?

I dropped a frozen turkey on my leg this morning and I have a bruise the size of Australia on my shin, grocery shopping can be deadly!

And did I already say it? ... :fryingpan::dizzy:

OMG!!! That is too funny!!!! I think my oldest son could so something like that. LOL

I actually messed up my knee and had to wear a knee brace for a long time because my cat tripped me on the stairs when I was about 12. Darned cat!!! For that matter, I just completely bashed that same knee on the bed frame changing the sheets this morning. AIY! It's probably a really good thing I'm not a gymnast, huh? LOL

Shawn, it really comes down to this...whatever works for you is fine....for you. It might not work for everyone and different gyms have different policies and philosophies. Your town gym likely has different priorities than the gym here where my dd trains. Here, it is not a written policy, but teaching at home out of the JO handbook is something they feel crosses the parent/coach line. Right or wrong, it's their policy and we have to go along with it.

The point is to be on the same page as your gym and your gym's coaches. This is a message board and we all have opinions and different experiences and expectations. We have parents who are new to the sport, been around it for a few years, and parents who have been in it for a long time. It makes for a lively place to discuss something that we are all passionate about. When in doubt, I tend to listen more to the parents who have dd's in the higher levels and have been around the sport for longer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back