WAG Do you let your gymmie train when he/she is sick?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sounds like I need to transfer to your friendly college prof mom! :)

I can only speak for the college I go to but yeah I know a fair amount of people who left class to throw up because they were afraid to miss!

I think I choose extreme places to go because my first gym was very strict about missing so you still had to go when you were sick and a handful of girls have thrown up at practice!

It's gross and unsanitary and unsafe!

When parents ask, I generally tell them if they need to rest more than train, stay home and focus on getting better. It's nice to not be around sick kids in the gym but at some point, there are always sick kids or coaches.

Above the neck, probably best staying at home. Below the neck, probably ok unless it's a ridiculous cough or it's coming out of one end or the other. I know I will pretty much skip work if I have to be within range of the bathroom. Sinuses pretty much mean skipping inversion or anything that moves quickly. Come in do some S&C, stretch go home and maybe do some basic drills on events.

I will say Dayquil is awesome and Dayquil+tea+ricola or halls can get me through a lot even if I feel like a zombie. If I have a fever, I can muddle through coaching, but will skip training to crawl into bed and stay there for as long as I can.

If he/she is coughing, sneezing, ect you probably don't want them going to gymnastics. Also ask he/she if they feel like they can go to practice. I remember going to practice with a fever and headache one night and after that i felt terrible. So please ask your child if they feel well enough to go to practice. I really hope this helped!!

I keep my daughter home if I know she's sick. Slightly runny nose and she can go, but for her, she never gets *slightly* runny noses (she's excellent at very messy sneezes!), so therefore she doesn't go with runny noses.

Apart from the fact that my daughter works so hard at gym that it would not contribute to her recovery if she went, I don't want to be the one whose daughter shares the germs around!

A short while ago we had a difficult run with a stomach bug. It basically consisted of stomach cramps only (was common in the community at the time. Even HC got it). It ran its course and we thought she was better, because when she was at home, she was fine. However, it turned out that when she was exercising, the stomach cramps came back. The coach was very understanding, thankfully, and realised that we were not trying to send our child sick, just that it was hard to tell (because she was at rest at home) when she actually was truly better.

Don't send your kids when they're sick. It makes them more prone to injury, because when you're not at the top of your game, you're not going to concentrate so well, and depending on the illness, not going to have the balance you need.

If she needs to stay home from school she cannot go to gymnastics either. A high fever, anything GI related and 24 hours beyond and 24 hours after needing to be on an antibiotic (to ensure no contagiousness) she'd stay home.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back