Do You Remember When..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wow. great video. i didnt tear up until close to the end where you "see the little girl watching you". thats exactly how it is at my gym. all my old best friends quit a long time ago, im the only optional, and the only one above the age of 13. i could definitely relate to that, thanks for sharing!

me too! same situation!!!
=D

Last night at DD practice they were doing fish and tap swings on the high bar while they were working on their bar rotation. The optional girls were taking their turn on the bars in rotation with the level 3/4 and 4/5, (but working on their giants, etc) I look over and see my DD waiting in between the 2 optional girls that were in the gym last night. One is level 10 and the other level 8 and both high school seniors, my DD is 1st grade and tiny for her age. 44 1/2 inches and 41 1/2 lbs. I could not help but thinking of this montage. I came home last night and e-mailed the link to her coaches. Our gym is making a complete turn around losing 3 of the 4 optional girls, with the 4th questionable due to an injury. So there is potentional that the "big girls" of the gym will be the level 5s.

Thanks for the video.

I wanted to add more to my thoughts. I missed almost 2 montsh of gym when track was at its peak, and when I came back, the gymnastics was better, but I felt so different. It's like I was 'just there'. There was no passion, no pleasure. I was doing the skills but I wasn't feeling them. I went through my floor routine better than ever, but I didn't feel the excitement. I was about ready to give it up. I watched the video and it reminded me how much I've accomplished and how far I've come, and it( along with nationals in a few weeks) kept me in the sport. I was shown exactly what being a gymnast was all about;how if I'm able to inspire just one other person, that's all I can ask. That's why I love coaching-passing on what I love to the gymnasts of the future. I also realized how true the USAG slogan of "Begin here. Go anywhere." is. Because of my gymnastics background, I got into pole vaulting, where I now have a few college coaches already looking at me. Gymnastics prepares you physically, but also mentally-I've learned to be repsonsible for how my practices/meets go, to be honest in never cheating myself in a workout, determination, drive, perseverance, team work, cooperation, enthusiasm, and always being there for those who need you. I've learned to encourage any spark of passion there is in tiny tumblers-they are next. I've learned to trust my coaches, and myself. All of this from gymnastics. Thank you!

Gracefulone you said it all.
Those days when you just want to quit cuz ur tired of trying that same skill over and over again and not getting it or when you have so much pain you just want to stop or that meet when you messed up every event or you don't feel like its fun anymore and its just a lot of pressure. But then theres always the moment that makes you realize why you do gymnastics, why you give up your friday nights for open gym...........
That moment for me is the fun in working on new skills or seeing the look on my teammates faces when we win! And then we know we all do gymnastics for the tears, pain blood sweat & whatever. But we're doing it for the team that becomes the family, the fun of doing skills that most people can only dream of, and for all the hard work that we put in to it............... outcomes a champion.

If that made any sense at all............

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back