Parents Do you stay during team practice, or leave if you have a long commute?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

erindel

Proud Parent
Hi we just moved to a new private gym and we are now driving 35 minutes without traffic to the gym. I just end up staying because I dont want to come and go two times in one day. Her practices are between 3 and 4 hours long. its a killer for me just to sit there when I could be at home making dinner, relaxing, or doing work. I guess its just a sacrifice though I make for her so she can enjoy what she loves to do.
Anyone else stay, or do you go home? How long is your commute to and from the gym?

I am only a few minutes from our gym.... I go home and come back about 45 min before the end because we can only watch on TV monitors and it is very hard to see the kids depending on where they are working in the gym.

I do a little of both. I usually stay, unless his dad is in town and can stay and bring him home. I will bring work to do, or save my errands to do while he is at gym. His workout right now is 2 1/2 hours a day, so by the time I get him dropped off, and get home, I have very little time there. Our commute is 15-20 minutes which doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up quickly!

Next year, when he moves up to the later/longer practice, I will probably just come home. The kicker is in the cost of the gas to do that, but for my piece of mind it might be worth it!

Last edited:
my drive is about 20 - 30 minutes each way, so I tend to stay. Sometimes I will run some errands. I almost always have a book or my computer and rarely pay much attention to practice.

Editing to add: oh, and it is 20 - 30 minutes with out traffic. However practice starts at 5:00, and traffic starts about then too. so to go home during practice takes me 30 - 45+ minutes. Hence my avoidance of driving back home.:p

We are about that same distance too from the gym. What we do is I drop her off and hubby picks her up that way I can come home and do what I need to get done. I also try to do errands on gym practice days so I can get more done.

In the past I also did car pooling as I was the stay at home mom (work from the house mom) so I could pick up kids at school and get them to practice and the other moms who worked full time would do the pick up at the end of practice.

Is there anyone one that you could car pool with? Would hubby be willing to go do the pick up?

i am a single mom so I do it all! I found out there is another mom in my area who goes to the same gym so its a matter of having to meet her, and see if she wants to carpool. I hope it works out because the gas situation right now is too much to go back and forth, but I dont see myself staying at every practice either.. Right now its five days per week three four hour practices and two 3 hour practices. its alot... I only actually bring her three days right now. shes in middle school and has so much hw that five days is too much with the commute. I hope the carpooling works out soon though...
thanks for all the responses..

We are about 30 min away too. So i stay and watch practice. That's how I found this site--desperate for something interesting to do started searching the web. ;) like some others have said you can leave your chores like grocery shopping, going to post office, etc for gym time and get to know the area around your gym. ;)
I will also utilize that time to make phone calls like making dr appt, calling people back, etc.

Good luck!!

Five days a week is a lot! I think if you can work out a carpool it would be great! We have a 20-25 minute drive. If a practice is 4 hours, I would never stay. A 3-hour one I like to stay here and there (maybe once every two weeks or so). When I stay, I always bring things that need to get done so I don't get too bogged down in the practice. I LOVE to watch her, but find that if I watch too much, or too directly, I get a little bit too "into it" and start worrying about how she's doing vs. other kids, etc. I will either bring school work to do with my son, a book to read, knitting, projects, etc. That way I can watch when I want to, but I'm not bored.

Another idea is to see what errands you can get done nearby. We have a shopping center about 5 minutes from the gym, so I have a list of things that can be purchased there and go get them on one of the days I don't end up coming home. I also found a library right down the street from the gym that is part of the same network as our town - another good option. That way I can watch part of the practice, but not all, and don't have to waste gas/time driving all the way home.

I thankfully only live about 10 minutes from our gym, so I drop and go. Usually one of my other 3 kids has some sort of practice, club, or activity to be at. I don't know what I will do if we ever have to move gyms. The next closest one is about an hour away. On Fridays I try to come back about 30 minutes early and watch. But I've even been doing that less and less lately. She is more focused if she isn't trying to show me what's she has learned!

We live about 20 minutes from gym. Depending on the day, I either take my son to the library to get homework done or save that time for errands or exercise (now that the weather is warming up). I will sometimes stay and catch up with the other parents, especially when the weather is awful. Starting April 1st, DD will be there 5 days a week so I am going to find something else for my son to do. Good luck-hope that you can find a carpool solution!

When my Dd was at a gym that was 40 minutes away, I would drop her off and go home. Sitting up at the gym for 4 hours a day 5 times per week was just not an option.

We are now at a gym that is over an hour away (without traffic) I am in a carpool and only drive 1 or 2 times per week. On my drive days I do stay up in the area. Sometimes I go run errands, catch a movie, and once the weather gets nice I will go sit on the beach. Other days I stay and watch. I get very antsy and it's hard for me to sit through a 4 hour practice.

We are 25 minutes away and my girls have 4 hour practices. I rarely stay unless I have work I can do there. One of the reasons I don't stay is that it is over the dinner hour and I have to feed my family. Plus even with drive time I have 3 hours at home usually. That is a lot of time to miss at home with my other kids and husband. CArpooling helps for sure and if you can set something up where you each drive a day both ways or always alternate the driving that will really help.

I stay one night a week to watch DS and the other three practices I drop him off and go home. EVen with a half hour commute, I get three valuable hours at home and that is homework, dinner preparation, alone time with other child. I need every hour in my day, so 16 hours at the gym is just too much for me to stay. I love watching him but I just can't. Same with DD, She trains 30 hours a week, just can't be there that much so I do the drive and eat the gas:(

I stay most of the time, but I am trying to change that by letting her know I am leaving for short errands. Seems to be working so far

I live 4 miles from our gym, I usually drop her off, pick up other kids, go home and cook dinner, help with homework, then maybe go back for the last hour to watch, cough...socialize, I mean.

thanks guys for the replies and tips.. I may just have to bite the bullet and just drive home, I am already antsy sitting there and there is only so much gymnastics I can watch without feeling like a stalker watching her.. Esp when they condition its so boring.. There is only so many times I can go in and out of the proshop and look at leos! I am esp hungry too sitting during dinner time. I knew though this move would be better for her overall so I went for it. She is doing skills now that she wasnt doing at her old gym. Her new gym uptrains alot and she loves it. i am sure it will get better soon hopefully..

I live 4 miles from our gym, I usually drop her off, pick up other kids, go home and cook dinner, help with homework, then maybe go back for the last hour to watch, cough...socialize, I mean.

LOL I know what you mean. Today I spent a half hour there "watching" my dd, but really I was totally talking to the other moms. I need some adult interaction and some days the gym is the only place I get it!

You could see if there is a gym in the area for you to work out at, or scout out walking paths. Carpooling has been very helpful for us, especially with other children in their own time-intensive sports. On my Carpool days, I schedule work appointments (home visits) during gym time. It allows me to have free time elsewhere in my schedule and those early evening slots are precious for families with school aged kids. Sometimes, I go to the library to catch up on paperwork or just have some quiet time (a much needed blessing in or crazy house)

Pink and fluffy's practice lasts either 2 or 2 1/2 hours and we are 30-35 min from the gym. It really not worth it so we stay. I do my shopping at the store, take a packed tea which I eat in the cafe, some times make leos there ( they are great and let me set up my sewing machine there) do work, read a book etc.

If they were longer ten I would drive home but the price of fuel is getting stupid here ( around $9.60 a gallon) so the fewer trips the better !

'Margo

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back