Do you wear socks when you do gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you wear socks when you do gymnastics? I guess maybe its a college thing because one of my teammates starting doing it after she went to do gymnastics in college & I saw a picture of Allison Taylor (UCLA) on bars wearing socks. Nobody at my gym does it. But I'm just wondering. lol.

sometimes i'll wear socks on bars during the winter if its our first event or if we go to bars right after snack break (if i put socks on during break, i'll just leave them on then) but i never wear them on floor/vault/beam.... just bars.

We got made to when we were baby gymmies.... our old floor had a great habit of leaving grey wool stuck to your feet. You would come out looking like a Yeti if you didn't wear socks lol.

If it's very cold out I'll wear socks, but only on bars and floor warmups. I don't feel safe wearing them on beam.

I don't even like doing roundoffs in socks! I'm bare feet all the way.

We require the recreational kids to wear socks and the team does not wear socks. There is a chance the team could slip while tumbling or something and I would hate to risk someone getting hurt over something stupid.

No socks for me! I think I'd probably slip in them if I wore them.

We require the recreational kids to wear socks and the team does not wear socks. There is a chance the team could slip while tumbling or something and I would hate to risk someone getting hurt over something stupid.

Why do you require the rec kids to wear socks?

I solved the problem of what to do when it's cold but I want to do beam by wearing legwarmers. (Note that our beams are right by a drafty door with concrete around the edges of the gym, and it gets very cold by the beams when it's -20F outside.) The legwarmers keep me nice and warm!

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't allow any of our gymnasts to wear socks, because of the risk of slipping.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back