Does anybody know how to fix this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, i've been looking through my videos lately (i have a broken foot and nothing else better to do) and i've been noticing a trend. My form SUCKS! My legs are bent on everything, my head is out, my arms are bent, my feet are crossed. It's bad! I have always had ussues with staying tight, but i didn't know it was this bad! There are two things that i need major help on.
1). BHS layoutstepout on beam. My legs are majorly bent in both the handspring and the layout stepout. I mean like 90 degree angle bent, like bad bent.
2). Tsuk on vault. I do tuck tsuks, and i was looking at the video and noticed that my legs are already tucked before my hands even leave the vault. I also have issues with not getting enough distance from the vault, and i've been known to hit my head on the back of the vault. I haven't injured myself doing it yet, but if i don't fix it... anyways, They are bent like that even when i do a pike tsuk, which aren't very good at all. They are more of a tuck than a pike. I just can't seem to straighten my legs on anything. :mad:

The worst part is that i won't be able to work on any of this for another 6 weeks (minus 4 days) at least. :mad:

Hi, i've been looking through my videos lately (i have a broken foot and nothing else better to do) and i've been noticing a trend. My form SUCKS! My legs are bent on everything, my head is out, my arms are bent, my feet are crossed. It's bad! I have always had ussues with staying tight, but i didn't know it was this bad! There are two things that i need major help on.
1). BHS layoutstepout on beam. My legs are majorly bent in both the handspring and the layout stepout. I mean like 90 degree angle bent, like bad bent.
2). Tsuk on vault. I do tuck tsuks, and i was looking at the video and noticed that my legs are already tucked before my hands even leave the vault. I also have issues with not getting enough distance from the vault, and i've been known to hit my head on the back of the vault. I haven't injured myself doing it yet, but if i don't fix it... anyways, They are bent like that even when i do a pike tsuk, which aren't very good at all. They are more of a tuck than a pike. I just can't seem to straighten my legs on anything. :mad:

The worst part is that i won't be able to work on any of this for another 6 weeks (minus 4 days) at least. :mad:

Oh, it sucks not being able to work on things.

Anyway, changing your habits is hard. Do more conditioning for one. And try to do it, well, everything you do, actually, with perfect form. Like, overly perfect. Film yourself doing basics (it'll probably take you a while until you can do full tumbling again anyway,so just do back handsprings over and over, both on the floor and the beam, and be really harsh on yourself when you watch your videos).

It'll take a while, definitely. But it's all about conditioning and going back to basics and changing those fundamental habits.

This could actually be a good time for focusing on this. I had a gymnast like this. Part of her daily training was to sit in a pike sit squeezing her legs straight and together for a minute. She had to do it five times. When she was strong enough, she had to do it in a pike press on the bar. Then on the floor. Also, as soon as you can start doing even a little bit do a handstand against the wall and hold it squeezing your legs as tight as possible. If you train your body to be extra tight on easier skills, then it will be much easier to stay tight on the harder ones. Go back and do tsuk timers and BHS, BHS thinking mostly about being tight.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back